mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Stem for drop bar

Need to raise my drop bar height a bit, so shopping around for a higher rise stem. Sorry for such a noob question, but trying to understand the numbers. If it's a 65/115 stem, I thought the 65 deg is the angle from the horizontal center line of stem which is zero and going upwards? If that's the case, I don't understand where the 115 is measured from.

For example, here's a link to some of Salsa's stems:
    Guide Stem | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    No bad questions. You've reversed the numbers. It's a 65 extension, 115 degree stem (in your example). The extension is measured from the center of the bar to the center of the fork steerer tube. The Angle is measured from vertical so a 115 degree would rise (or drop) 25 degrees from a line perpendicular with the steerer tube. This link does a nice job of explaining the relationship between the two numbers. Cheers.
    Habanero Cycles Stem Chart
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I don't think the Salsa site mentions extension. If you have a 65/115 stem, it is 65 deg one way, and if you flip it over it is 115 the other way. Either way a difference of 25 deg, either above or below horizontal. 84/96 is plus or minus six deg depending on the way you flip it. The length of the stem is an entirely different matter. Often a 84/96 is just called a -6/+6: 84 would be 6 deg below horizontal and if you flip it it would be 6 deg above.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    knl2stl, you're correct, salsa lists their stems angles/extensions separately, with the 65/115 stem indicating the stem's +/- 25 degree angle (from perpendicular line {90 degrees}). The link above does list various extensions.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok got it! 90 degrees is the horizontal point for this stem. I guess what was confusing me was that some stems say 10 deg rise, which in that case make the horizontal point zero. Anyway, I understand it now. Thanks for the clearing that up.