mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Stans ZTR Race Gold Wheels for CX

Anyone using Stans Race Gold 29er wheels on their cyclocross bike for racing or general riding, and what has your luck been in terms of reliability since these wheels are light at approx 1350 grams? I'm below the factory weight limit on these wheels at 145lbs, so I should be ok. I've done a lot of searching on the net for reviews, but haven't been able to come up with much....
    Last edited by cmdickinson; 10-22-2012 at 09:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've seen some expert level riders using the Stans wheels for races. Probably in the 140-150lb range as well. He didn't seem to have any issues running those wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They're wheels....mtb wheels at that.
    What kind of problem do you think you'd have if you put them on a cross bike?
    (as long as it's a disc cx bike with 135 rear spacing)

Bro Mountainbiker
    If you are spending money for performance in CX, go with tubulars. Deep and light if you can afford it.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys for your input. I've been contemplating building another set of tubulars, but since this bike will see more trail and pavement time than racing, clinchers may be a more practical. Tubulars are not out of the question though, because I could build up a set as the same weight as the Race Golds for approx $250-300 less (using Chinese rims from companies such as Farsports or Lightbikes with Novatec hubs) which is very tempting.
    Last edited by cmdickinson; 10-22-2012 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Race golds should work fine. The rims are a lighter version of the crest, and the crest has worked tubeless for a number of people without problems.

A guy on my team rides the race golds on his mtb, is around 150 lbs, and used them for the entire 2012 season (if not longer). He seems to be doing just fine with them, although I haven't asked how often he's had to true them.

I have a crest/355 wheelset that I stole from my race mountain bike (end of season) to use on my disc cross bike this year. So far they're working very well with clement PDXs setup tubeless. I'm around 185 pounds, running around 40psi f/r. So far I'm not one bit dissapointed that I chose to avoid the pain in the @ss tubular route. Locally I've seen/heard FAR more stories of guys rolling tubies this year than I've heard of anyone having problems with their tubeless setups.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am using a 355/Hope Mini wheelset for my CX/Gravel bike. Things have been working out great.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I'm using the Race Golds on my cross bike at the moment, and have used them (the same exact set) in many, many XC races in 2012. I am RIGHT at their weight limit as I bounce between 165 - 170 lbs, and they've held up better than expected. But they are flexy...I can flex the crap out of them, especially on my MTB. It's gotten to the point, where I'd rather MTB race on my Crest wheelset because even while they are by no means 'stiff', they're alot stiffer than the Golds and I like that better than the weight savings.

Anyway, I'm using the Golds for CX because I've retired them from my MTB and it was just easiest to move them over to my disc cross frame. Their fine. On a flat course, that weight advantage of them really doesn't mean anything, but if you got a climby course, they are nice. They set up tubeless fine with CX tires, but they're fairly wide for a MTB XC rim at 21mm internal (I think) so they tend to spread the tire out a bit more. This is nice from a handling perspective, but given how narrow CX tires are compared to MTB tires, it decreases the sidewall height a bit, and if you're running too low of a pressure, you risk dinging the rim. I've been running 40 psi for this reason....I wish I could go lower, but at my weight, I'm hesitant to do so.

After this season, I'll probably ditch 'em for some tubular rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Alpha 340

I have extensive time on Alpha 340 for CX and have never been able to get the pressures down below 30psi which is pretty much the grail in CX. I talked to one of the STan's team racers Sunday who claims 18psi in front, low 20s in back with Kenda tubeless set up but every time I went below 30 last year I would burp a tire and down I go. Same with some of my 45+ competitors, we just got tired of rolling tubeless, and over pressuring to make em work just plain hurts at my age! I am researching carbon tubular rims and going to commit. My wife was sponsored last year and loved the ride and traction of low pressure tubulars, but is no longer on that team so guess who is leaning over my shoulder asking for some!

For trail riding CX tubeless is fine, high pressures (35+) and the sealant keeps the thorns from ruining a ride. For as light as Stans rims are they hold up really well if you don't hit ditches at high speed or land sideways from jumps, but as Tyrone says, they flex so the light weight comes at a cost and that is cornering precision or brake rub when hammering like a monkey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks again guys for your feedback. My new cross build is nearly complete, except for the wheelset. I'm a little indecisive at the moment. Some get points mentioned above. I wonder if flex and tracking would be and issue with the Race Golds. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've run race gold 29r for a couple years. no problems. 165 lb rider. They are nice and wide, so the tires ballon up pretty good. I am running michelin mud 2's, they are labelled 30, but measure 34.5 on the 29r rim. incredible traction with that wide platform

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    are the Race Gold 29ers the same ERD as the CX Iron Cross rim?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've run the race golds, 355's, and crests. For the money, you can't beat the crest setup. I run Kenda happy mediums at 29psi. I also have a set Mich Muds that work well. I'm somewhere in the 160lb range.
    The crests are noticeably stiffer. If you run the golds you have to be very light on your bike when you hit rocks, roots, etc. which can be hard to do in the last lap of a cx race. I put a pretty good flat spot on my golds hitting a root and had to send it in to have the rim replaced. You can't just order a race gold rim from Stan's. If I mess up a crest I can order a rim and swap it in myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the post. I have a 2001 Lemond Poprad that I'm trying to get rolling. Good luck.