Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron Cross Disc

10 76.92%
  • Alpha 340 Disc

3 23.08%
    mtbr member

Stan's Iron Cross Disc or Alpha 340 Disc for crossbike

Just picked up a Trek Crossrip Elite and am debating between the Stan's Iron Cross Disc or Alpha 340 Disc. I do not plan racing it but right now I can get an amazing discount on either set of rims. Price from my LBS would be $440 for the Iron cross and $550 for the Alpha's. HAs anyone experienced these wheelsets and if so any thoughts/opinions. I ride 90% road and 10% gravel/fireroad. I like the capability to fit 28c road tires and 32+ cross tires if needed during the winter. Here are the links: Iron Cross Wheelset and Alpha 340 Disc Wheelset 24/28. Please let me know what you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    if you read the description... the Iron Cross won't fit your needs.

though, I run Alpha 400 (and I have canti brakes). I would get a wheelset made from the Alpha 400 instead.

mtbr member
    If you want to run higher pressures than get the Alpha 340's. I called Stan's with this question and they said running "road" pressures would damage the rim of the Iron Cross over time.

mtbr member
    I would consider the Alpha 400. The 340 would fit your needs but if you intend on hitting any really rough or technical offroad stuff I would think the 400 would be a more stout wheel depending on your weight and riding style. The price on that 400 is a bit crazy though...$120 per hoop. Yikes.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Iron cross is great but limited to low tyre pressure (3.3 bar or 50 psi) due to the large and light rim. Hence I recommend the Alpha 340 or 400 on this kind of bike. You do not need the large rims on the Crossrip frame.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I have not used either of these rims, but when I was shopping for new CX wheels a few months back, two of my buddies recommended against the A340's; claiming that they are too "flexy". I ended up going with HED Belgian C2's (laced to White Industries T11 hubs), and love them! I haven't tried to run them tubeless yet, but I have read that these rims do very well, and plan to give it a shot at some point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Large vs. narrow rims

Thanks for this feedback. As a Belgian, I am happy to discover rims named referring to our passion for cycling.

Back to the facts:
    - The notubes Iron Cross and HED Belgium C2 have an external width of 23 mm (inner 20). This is great to run low pressure and wide tyre.
    - The notubes Alpha 340 and 400 are only 20 mm wide on the outside an 17 mm on the inside. This helps with higher pressure road or allroad tyres.

See also: ZTR Rims

And tyre size vs. rim:
    Schwalbe - Professional Bikes Tires

PS: an alternative from Easton to the Alpha 340 and 400 disc:
    EA90 XD 25mm Clincher
    Last edited by flandrien; 08-11-2013 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flandrien View Post
    Thanks for this feedback. As a Belgian, I am happy to discover rims named referring to our passion for cycling.

Back to the facts:
    - The notubes Iron Cross and HED Belgium C2 have an external width of 23 mm (inner 20). This is great to run low pressure and wide tyre.
    - The notubes Alpha 340 and 400 are only 20 mm wide on the outside an 17 mm on the inside. This helps with higher pressure road or allroad tyres.
    One of the trends in road bikes is going with wider width rims, to better mimick a tubular setup. For example, the Velocity A23 has similar dimensions to the Iron Cross, they are for road use and cross.

Unlike the Iron Cross, the A23 is road tubeless compatible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    One of the trends in road bikes is going with wider width rims, to better mimick a tubular setup. For example, the Velocity A23 has similar dimensions to the Iron Cross, they are for road use and cross.

Unlike the Iron Cross, the A23 is road tubeless compatible.
    Velocity says the current A23 is tubeless compatible w/ just tape. I have 3 sets of A23 wheels, all a few years old. Can't get them to work with just tape, but they work GREAT with a rimstrip. I'm almost 200# and I rode a full season on Hutchinson Bulldogs at ~32-34 psi with no burping, ever. Great choice for tubeless cross or road wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Velocity says the current A23 is tubeless compatible w/ just tape. I have 3 sets of A23 wheels, all a few years old. Can't get them to work with just tape, but they work GREAT with a rimstrip. I'm almost 200# and I rode a full season on Hutchinson Bulldogs at ~32-34 psi with no burping, ever. Great choice for tubeless cross or road wheels.
    Velocity updated the A23 fairly recently (maybe last year), so the rim bed profile is completely different.

The old Australian made A23 has a different rim bed profile, the more traditional one, that requires a rimstrip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Velocity updated the A23 fairly recently (maybe last year), so the rim bed profile is completely different.

The old Australian made A23 has a different rim bed profile, the more traditional one, that requires a rimstrip
    Good to know. I love those rims, even with the weight of a rimstrip. Just using tape will elevate them to a whole new level