mtbr member
    Feb 2012

SSCX: help me decide

Alright, I'm smitten. I've recently been taking my old steel Schwinn Varsity cruising on local fire roads and singletrack. I love it. But I want something better. This was just the SS project in college to get to class.

I'm looking to invest in a purpose built bike. I've done some perusing of the web and glanced through here but didn't see a thread and anyways, the forums are always helpful.

My ideal build would be under $1k, SS, with disc brakes (I'm a big boy), and hopefully could be tubeless (down here thorns rule the day).

I'd like to use it as a gravel grinder/exploration/light touring/commuting machine.

I'm not ruling anything out, I've looked at Nature Boy's (no disc), Raleigh Furley (eh on the EBB), Masi CXSS, Crosschek, San Jose, etc. etc.

No winners yet, just looking for opinions, offerings, help etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I vote nature boy, but the surly straggler comes to mind or a traitor. Not really sure if its possible to build a disc sscx for under 1k. most completes that are ss have canti's except the raleigh( also eh on the ebb)

I run a nb with paul neo retro's in everything but full on mud and have no problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, agreed, I really like the NB. Disc won't make or break it for me.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    For the money, I'd say the nature boy is the best complete sscx bike available. Not under 1000 bucks, but cheaper to buy complete than build something up (assuming you use new parts). Buy it from a shop so they can help you with any issues/upgrades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Considering I just splurged on my SS MTB this summer I'm trying to keep it on the lower end.

Any word on the 2014 Masi CXSS? Looks like they just put discs on it, changed to a steel fork.

The NB is really looking really f-ing prime but not sure who I have for dealers around here. I guess I'm just a wuss about the cantis too.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Practically anyone can get all city. They are owned by the distr that owns surly. Drawing a blank on the name, but your lbs should be able to get them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Practically anyone can get all city. They are owned by the distr that owns surly. Drawing a blank on the name, but your lbs should be able to get them.
    QBP, Naturally I got the whole " I could have gotten you this frame" bit from my lbc when i brought my nb frameset in to get reamed, faced, and chased.

mtbr member
    Have a Nature Boy myself & love it! So obviously, it gets my vote. Got in October and have put tons of happy miles on it, both fixed & free. It comes pretty nice stock. The cantis actually surprised me as they didn't suck(all my other bikes have disks...so I expected to dislike them). If anything, I have more issues with the lever tops & being able to squeeze them effectively in the hoods since I am a petite female with small hands. If I can snag a pair of SRAM levers off CL for cheap sometime, that will be my only upgrade for a while. The bike just plain works!
    SSCX: help me decide-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My oh my that is awesome news. I'll have to have myself a chat with the shop. I have to admit the NB looks super awesome to me. Checking out the site, I see fender mounts but are there rack mounts? I'd love to do some light touring on this.

mtbr member
    There aren't really dedicated rack mounts besides the hidden ones on the insides of the stays, not sure how useful they are placed since I don't use metal racks. I have a full frame bag set from Revelate Designs(triangle opening bag, top tube gas can bag, seatmounted expandable bag, and a handlebar feedbag). They all fit on all my bikes and I have done 150 mile tours with them on gravel roads & singletrack, no issues.

I'm not sure how keen you are on rack less bag systems but I can't say enough great things about mine! Never going back to solid metal racks again.

Here's a pic with them loaded up on my Pugsley.
    SSCX: help me decide-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Valid Points. I suppose I always had a more "traditional" idea of setting up a bike with loads in my head. All I'd really want to do with the NB (or whichever CX I choose) is carry enough for warm weather weekend adventures (which isn't much for me).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sounds like you won't be using this for cross racing and more for touring and gravel grinding. I would suggest a Black Mountain Cycles cross bike.

Black Mountain Cycles: Black Mountain Cycles Frames

Bit longer chainstay would be good for touring (with racks). Has slightly lower BB to keep it stable with beefy tires (the new version has this). I have mine on order and can't wait to get it. Sold my Cross Check after one ride. Wasn't thrilled with it.

Another bike to consider is the Surly Straggler. Has discs and slightly better geo for what you're after.

Both of these bikes are in the same price range as the Nature Boy, but they will all come out to over $1k. If you can buy another complete (used) CX bike, transfer over what you can and then sell the frame and left over parts, maybe you can still hit that price point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    If anything, I have more issues with the lever tops & being able to squeeze them effectively in the hoods since I am a petite female with small hands.
    If you have shimano levers, then google the phrase "shimano lever adjusting block"

That should get you better reach. It's one of many little problems that need solving to get more people of all sizes on bikes.

Eli Broccoli
    Another vote for the NB. All City has excellent customer service and every time I throw a leg over my NB I love it a little more.