mtbr member

SSCX advice for large man

I couldn't think of what to call myself. Clydesdale is so boring.

Anyway, I'm 6' 200lbs (eh 210 now with the beer weight of winter). I have broken my new Kona Unit in the following ways: tore the front chainring off, snapped a spindle, cracked the frame (so now I have an even newer Unit), and just torched an I9 hub in 4 months. Needless to say I'm a big guy and I push hard.

I want, nay, need a CX bike. What do you folks recommend for a big guy who tears stuff apart?
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    surly cross check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    surly cross check
    he meant to say Surly Straggler. very beefy frame, similar to cross check, with disc brakes.

I'm 6'3" 205 lbs and it is at the top of my list. i plan to buy later this summer.
    Hardtail 29er
    Fat Lefty
    Rigid SS 29er

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    i'm sorry, that's not large, it's barely even "largish." modify your technique and you'll stop breaking things.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    i'm sorry, that's not large, it's barely even "largish." modify your technique and you'll stop breaking things.
    Gotta agree with you. I am 5' 11" and 200 lbs and I was thinking to myself that I am not a very big guy. Even though I am a masher I have never broken any parts.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm 6'8" & 265#s. I'm kinda big.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    I would argue otherwise. I don't really see how technique equates to me not breaking parts. I mean, I do see how it relates. But I'd definitely say it isn't a cure all.

That being said, you have no idea what gear I ride, what places I ride, or how I ride; so exactly how is your advice helpful?

I'm 6'8" & 265#s. I'm kinda big.
    Yes, this is big.

Anyway, if anyone has productive answers that'd be cool. I've looked into the Straggler because I like disc. the new Nature Boy Disc looks cool too.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You're on the bigger side but not really that big. "Clydesdale" starts at 200 lbs so you're just on the tip of the iceberg. You're the kind of guy we would ask to step on the scale after a race in the clydesdale category. The only guy I know that breaks a lot of stuff in an odd way has a horribly low cadence and rides a ton (10,000+ miles a year I think). He's had a fuji hybrid frame warrantied 4-5 times now I think; he's working that lifetime warranty program. I would work on upping your cadence if you're a masher, it saves parts and is better in the long run anyway.

Another part of the "technique" could be that you need to get out of the saddle more for bumpy stuff and let the legs be your suspension. Some people stay in the saddle going over rough stuff which is hell on your taint and the bike.

I ride a felt breed at 220lbs and I trail ride with it often. Nothing too major but more rough than the standard cross course I race it on. It's my beater bike and also my winter training bike since I pretty only ride ss on roads in the winter anymore because I got tired of road salt tearing up the drivetrain.

I would get an all-city over a surly simply because I enjoy the look a lot better. Surly screams utilitarian but I do like a little flare if I'm going to be paying so much money. All-city's frames are beautiful. I believe Ritchey also has a steel framed option that should be a solid bike.

I would avoid less reputable bikes like something from nashbar or bikesdirect. Sure, they work, but for bigger guys who ride hard, you'll find the weak spot over time. Since I trail ride my CX bikes, even my carbon framed ones, the "less good" frames have not treated me well; broke two chainstays on the BD bikes.

hispanic mechanic
    I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say that your size isn't big enough to be the reason you're breaking stuff (unless you're riding weight-weenie parts...)
    Over the last 2 decades+ of working as a bike mechanic, I've seen 230 lbs. guys hardly even need to true wheels, and 150 lbs. guys destroy everything. Finesse goes a long way- learning to ride smoother lines over chunk, transitioning from seated to hammering out of the saddle smoothly, etc.
    That being said, you'll still want to err on the sturdier side of CX stuff if you're riding trails- 32 spoke wheels, minimum of 35mm tires, steel (or burly carbon,) fork... you get the idea.
    I ride/race a Nature Boy Zona (I'm 5'11", 180ish lbs.,) but the new NB Disc looks like it might be a good option for you. As larger-than-Euro guys, the weight penalty isn't as big of a deal for us.
    One last suggestion- I really like a wide, flared bar. I use an On-One Midge, but I'd look at Woodchippers or at least Bell Laps. Makes a big difference when honkin' up climbs.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/