Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

SS or geared faster?

I have been running a 38:16 SS ratio and have had some half tailed results so far in the cyclocross season. However, have had fun.

Do you think geared is faster or slower?

hispanic mechanic
    Depends a lot on courses and conditions. I haven't raced geared CX in over a decade, but there certainly were some races I was much faster on the SS than gears. Granted, those were pretty nasty conditions- snow, hovering just below freezing, so all the geared riders were getting their cassettes frozen.
    There's one venue here in Boise that I think I'm as fast as I would be on gears (it's fairly tight and technical without a lot of fast straightaways,) but all the others I'm probably not as fast on.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I just did a course with long straights and got passed as It is a bit frustrating but oh well. I am considering just going 1x9 or 10 and call it good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I second everything sslos said. I run 42:18 on my SS cross, and don't think I'm slower than on my geared bike for 90% of courses (I am only ever a mid pack M3 racer, so I'm pretty slow to start with). On a course with extended flat straightaways, I get dropped pretty bad, but those are rare around here. I gave up on gears for 'cross years ago - can't stand the endless maintenance!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    One area where I think geared bikes have an advantage is giving folks the ability to cruise a bit in a bigger gear to get some chill time before heavy efforts. However, not have to worry about shifting is nice. Plus, in mud SS rules.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Last year a guy I know got top time of day on his SS, it was a pretty flat course. The more the course starts to resemble an mtb course (hills) a geared cx bike will start to be better, and the rougher and steeper it gets an mtb will be faster.