mtbr member
    Sep 2008

SS to 1x9 conversion

Hello,

I have a Bianchi San Jose SSCX bike with track ends. I find myself changing gearing a lot for on and offroad riding and would like the versatility of gears.

I'm thinking I'll need:

bar end shifter
    new rear wheel & casette
    rear derailleur
    chain tensioner with derailleur hanger

This is kind of pricey for a bike I spent $450 on, so my real question is:

has anyone tried this before, and if so, was it worth the trouble, or would you have preferred to just buy a separate geared bike?

TY

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    we have 2 San Joses (or had, I just sold mine) in the house. I'm afraid you are stuck, as they do not have a threaded receiver for a rear mech at all. Track ends will not work as you can't hang a rear d on them.

Sorry, man.

edit... wait a chain tensioner with a derailleur hanger on it? what wizardry is this? nvm although yea it sounds expensive for a bike that's really not intended for that purpose.

I guess the real question is: how much do you like how the bike rides and fits? I got rid of my SJ because, even as a city-bar-winter bike it was heavy and slow and the front fork sucked so hard. Brake shudder no matter how I adjusted it and so floppy. Also it didn't quite fit me right, so, eh.

Anyway, ask yourself if you'd rather have a purpose built bike and keep the SJ as your SS backup, or what. I wouldn't do it, but then apparently I'm too old-skool to have heard of a SS / track end conversion to gears, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm replacing my SJ with a purpose built citybike - Gates drive with an Alfine 8-speed internal hub, etc.
    Last edited by lonefrontranger; 08-02-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: reading comprehension FAIL

I'm your density
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, I was thinking of the Problem Solvers. I do like the bike, though I know where lonefrontranger is coming from about the slow and sedate ride. Primarily I wondered whether these chaintug-hanger things work very well. Is it a hassle to get your RD in just the right spot in relation to the wheel? Do you have to take everything apart to change a tire? Etc.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak9964 View Post
    Yes, I was thinking of the Problem Solvers. I do like the bike, though I know where lonefrontranger is coming from about the slow and sedate ride. Primarily I wondered whether these chaintug-hanger things work very well. Is it a hassle to get your RD in just the right spot in relation to the wheel? Do you have to take everything apart to change a tire? Etc.
    I wish I could tell you from experience, but I can't. I had bookmarked a couple of those products when I was thinking of converting my Monocog SS to a geared commuter. You might search over in "Drivetrain" and post a question if your searching comes up empty.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A few years back I built up a cheap Motobecane SS CX bike with a Nexus 8 IGH and a Jtek barend shifter. I can easily switch from SS to gears with a swap of the rear wheel and a ziptie to hold the shift cable. It's really versatile, simple and reliable but a bit heavy. I also found that on long coasting downhills there is more drag than normal gears. I'm guessing its from the internals heating up. No drag if pedalling.

I think I spent about $250-300 on the hub, shifter and wheel build.