mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Sram Rival shifters and X9 rear derailleur

Will it work? I'm building a new cross bike to ride on local trails and want to run a 11-32 cassette. Thanks.

SSOD
    I'm not sure but I know the new Apex group is suppose to be able to handle larger cassettes. I guess if would as long as you went with the 10 speed X9

mtbr member
    10 speed X9 will work fine with Rival. Same pull for the 10 speed Sram stuff.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew View Post
    I'm not sure but I know the new Apex group is suppose to be able to handle larger cassettes. I guess if would as long as you went with the 10 speed X9
    Yep, my Spec TriCross Elite has Apex and a SRAM mountain cassette.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As long as their both 10spd you're good.

Bicycle Addict
    Running Rival shifters with Apex 10 speed in the back. Works like a charm.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Should work fine with new x9 and Rival. Apex will work too. Don't know which is lighter, but I would choose x9 over apex because with mountain derailleurs you have a more direct cable path. The last stretch of cable housing has too make a big loop with road derailleurs but with mtn you have a short nearly straight last stretch. Atleast in my mind, this mean less resistance - though I currently have gore fully sealed cables with my full rival set up...like buttah. Seriously. I wanted to get an x9 front derailleur for the same bike because I have top tube mounted cable routing on my bike with a bottom pull front derailleur, so the cable has be passed through a pulley below the fd now, which I'd like to eliminate. In all honestly though, with the sealed cables, there is little if any additional resistance I feel at the lever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks guys. I'm probably going to go the Rival/X9 route. Since I ask this question I've built this bike up with a 105 group I had and it's working out fine for what this bike build was meant for. I'm going to try a 32t cassette on my 105 derailleur to see if it will work. This will get me by till next year if it will work. Trails are starting to get sloppy here anyway. Thanks again for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had luck running a 32t cassette on a long cage triple ultegra derailleur but highly doubt it works on a shorter double derailleur.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm probably going to go the Rival/X9 route. Since I ask this question I've built this bike up with a 105 group I had and it's working out fine for what this bike build was meant for. I'm going to try a 32t cassette on my 105 derailleur to see if it will work. This will get me by till next year if it will work. Trails are starting to get sloppy here anyway. Thanks again for the help.
    You will also need to add a barrel adjuster to the system if you use the mtb RD
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You will also need to add a barrel adjuster to the system if you use the mtb RD
    Thanks shiggy. Would this be in addition to my cable stop barrel adjuster on my down tube?

Hand-Crafted Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers View Post
    Thanks shiggy. Would this be in addition to my cable stop barrel adjuster on my down tube?
    You just need one and most CX bikes don't use STI stops on the DT and the X.9 Rear D doesn't have one either. The Force/x.9 combo works great by the way. I'm currently running this setup with no issue after snapping my Force rear D durring a race. I added an insert type adjuster to the X.9 right at/into the rear D intself.

Best- Chris
    Last edited by dornbox; 11-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    DORNBOX Hand-Crafted Performance Bikes www.dornboxbikes.com.
    RIDDEN!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Any reason you don't want to run a mid cage rival RD?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I thought the cage length did not have anything to do with the maximum cog size but helped with chain wrap? I'm running a FSA 46t big ring 34t small and don't think I will have any problems with the additional 4t with the 11-32 vs my current 11-28. I'm going to test out a 11-32 and a 105 short cage next week when the cassette arrives in the mail, I'll post back to let everyone who is interested if it works well or not. Thanks guys for the suggestions and help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I installed the new cassette and everything works really well. I had to run the B screw in about 3/4 and that gave me plenty room for the 32T. Shifts very smooth. My frame's derailleur hanger sits pretty low so I think that is why it worked out for me. I'm glad it worked out because my budget goal for this bike was $1000 and using the 105 group I had defiantly helped out with that. I ended up being able to get a nicer wheelset that will be able to handle a little rougher riding and maybe by next spring I'll be able to try out some sram stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sorry for my ignorance, but will this also work with an XO RD? I am about to buy a set of Rival Shifters and wanted to double check. I didn't know if the X9 and XO had the same cable pull.

Did I catch a niner?
    Cable pull is going to be the same across the board for MTB since you could very well use X.9 shifters with a X.0 rear der. and vice versa.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1