mtbr member
    Apr 2011

SRAM Rival shifter repair options?

I recently picked up a 2009 GT GTR Type CX that is pretty low miles. I've been mountain biking forever but i'm really new to road/CX bikes.

The rear shifter (Rival) had been acting up a little bit but i just chalked it up to an unusual (to me) system. Tonight it bit the dust and won't shift up to a lower gear at all.

I searched around and it sounds like these years of this system were pretty terrible. There is lots of info on the forums about how bad this setup was, but the solution was always to send it to SRAM.

Unfortunately i've got a 2009 system and i'm the third owner of the bike, so warranty isn't really an option. As far as i can tell my options are basically to replace it with a modern shifter like the SRAM Red or Force. I found some used 2012 and 2013 stuff on ebay for about $350 for the set, but i only paid $700 for the bike, so...I thought i'd see what my other options are first.

I'd be willing to rebuild if someone made upgraded parts for these, but i haven't been able to find anything. It seems like a waste to rebuild this system if it's just going to fail again in 6 months. Any suggestions?
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Found this on a quick search of Amazon,looks like you can get just the rear for $180 Amazon.com: SRAM Rival Shifters: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm assuming they've gotten better since the model i have, so that may be a good option, thanks!

I guess what i was really getting at is: for $350 (the price of a set of reds or 2x Rival shifters on Amazon), on a mountain bike i could probably price out an XTR rear derailleur and a decent set of shifters. Is road bike stuff that much more expensive? Would i be better getting a Shimano setup? What would you do if you were in my situation?
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went ahead and bought some 2013 SRAM Force shifters off ebay, got them for $290/shipped with 100mi on them. Everything i found said they are basically the 2012 REDs internally. I hate spending money but not as much as i hate pushing my bike home
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    fyi, Apex is freaking awesome and most people can't seem to stand having such lowly equipment on their bikes. If you're patient you can pick it up for pennies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's good to know. I suspect even the current Rival lineup is really good, but i plan to have this bike for many years and many miles, so i don't mind the upgrade to Force.
    Blur LT & Highball