mtbr member
    May 2010

SRAM Red 22 Hydro Groupset

Just got it installed and operational.

And it's great thus far.

SRAM Red 22 Hydro Groupset-9548806625_702f462220_z.jpg

I'm only 100 miles in, but it's been smooth sailing. Full details are up here.

mtbr member
    Wow, one of the nicest bicycles I have ever seen! Absolutely dream-bike category! Great job with the build specs, writeup and observations! One question, what's going on with your bar wrap?!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    I picked up a Crux Expert with the new SRAM 22 (force derailleurs) and I've really been happy with the performance so far. I get a little front rotor rub in corners that I haven't sorted out, probably due to the stock wheels flexing too much. A stiffer wheel may solve that.

Question on the 11 speed setup: do you need a special hub or freehub option (similar to XX1) to run the new SRAM 22? I've got a set of Easton XC90s I would like to throw on there for racing but don't think they are compatible. Can't find any info elsewhwere.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Wow, one of the nicest bicycles I have ever seen! Absolutely dream-bike category! Great job with the build specs, writeup and observations! One question, what's going on with your bar wrap?!
    Not sure what you mean with the question about the bar wrap...

If you're asking about the color, it is two-tone. The top is black and the bottom is red. The red gives a nice little accent for the other red bits on the bike, like the Eriksen caps, the SRAM red bits, the red on the hubs, the red labelling, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33 View Post

Question on the 11 speed setup: do you need a special hub or freehub option (similar to XX1) to run the new SRAM 22? I've got a set of Easton XC90s I would like to throw on there for racing but don't think they are compatible. Can't find any info elsewhwere.
    I run DT240 hubs. For me, to convert to the 11 speed, I had to get a new hub "driver"--the part of the hub that the cassette goes on. With the DT240s, that's a tool-less conversion. I see that Easton makes a conversion hub driver for Shimano 11 speed...if that works with your hub, I would think that it would work with the SRAM 11 speed as well...

Bro Mountainbiker
    Dude, any closeups on those levers?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Did you have to bleed your brakes? I just put mine together and the levers go all the way to the bars. I'll bleeding them tomorrow to see if they stiffen up.

Also I emailed DT swiss to see if the 11 speed driver would go on a 135mm MTB hub and they said yes but it will make it 136mm

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Dude, any closeups on those levers?
    SRAM Red 22 Hydro Groupset-9548805549_e65b748d5d_z.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AKRC78 View Post
    Did you have to bleed your brakes? I just put mine together and the levers go all the way to the bars. I'll bleeding them tomorrow to see if they stiffen up.

Also I emailed DT swiss to see if the 11 speed driver would go on a 135mm MTB hub and they said yes but it will make it 136mm
    I didn't have to bleed them, no. Just shorten them.

These are 135mm mountain disc hubs that I'm using...DT240s. There are no problems.

Creepy tooth fairy

If you've got the money to burn...

...I always find it interesting when privateers in cyclocross run very spendy equipment. I have raced against guys who have two matching carbon fiber Colnagos, full Dura-Ace or Red, ENVE bits the whole enchilada. I can't really tell if it made them any faster, but that doesn't matter. It's whatever turns you on. I believe CX racing is tougher on a bike than any other cycling pursuit as you have a more delicate bike (more so than any mountain bike) being subjected to the harshest conditions possible. I am no cheap skate, but I prefer simple workman level components that when (not if) they get trashed I don't lose much sleep over it. Nice looking rig nonetheless.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    ...I always find it interesting when privateers in cyclocross run very spendy equipment. I have raced against guys who have two matching carbon fiber Colnagos, full Dura-Ace or Red, ENVE bits the whole enchilada. I can't really tell if it made them any faster, but that doesn't matter. It's whatever turns you on. I believe CX racing is tougher on a bike than any other cycling pursuit as you have a more delicate bike (more so than any mountain bike) being subjected to the harshest conditions possible. I am no cheap skate, but I prefer simple workman level components that when (not if) they get trashed I don't lose much sleep over it. Nice looking rig nonetheless.
    Yep. My theory is the faster you are the less likely you are to care about having a top of the line "cool" bike. After all, standing on the podium in an "A" category is cooler than any bike.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Mehh, people are into what there into. And if building rad bikes is it so be it. Also racing for the LBS = parts at a discount. Not everyone spends full price. As long as you don't think your cooler then someone else because of what you have. I Personally have one road bike, its a cross and i'll ride the piss out of it. So it gets some nice stuff.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    If OP was poor he would say that too.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Nice. I would like to see a set of those in person. I am thinking about taking the TRP hyrd road myself. BB7s have no place on a CX race bike.