AZ
    banned

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    This is why I don't like SRAM.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

AZ
    banned
    Recalls are not exclusive to SRAM, Google "Shimano recalls" sometime.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Another reason not to be an early adopter of new technology unless you're a sponsored rider with a mechanic at your disposal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What new technology? Hydraulic brakes are nothing new. It sounds like a QC issue to me. They got a bad batch of seals from the sounds of it. Wrong material maybe or undersized? It is most likely that SRAM and others source numerous small parts from third party manufacturers and those manufacturers might be the ones that erred.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    SRAM MTB brakes (Avids) have issues as well.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    There are always potential issues with any manufactured product, regardless of the quality control commitment or the brand name stamped on the equipment. It is a reputable company that informs its users and fan base of potential safety issues that can result in bodily harm. These issues are not exclusive to any one product, company, or design team. I also think that the issues with Avid QC is something of concern to the company and they have discontinued contracts with certain manufacturers where the QC issues were not being addressed adequately. I imagine it would be difficult to find a factory that churns out a perfect product every time. Manufacturing equipment requires upkeep and constant monitoring as well as the finished product and it's possible that some of the issues turn up in the final product and are not seen during the manufacturing process so some may fall through the cracks and make it to the shelves. Again, it is a reputable company that informs the public of potential safety issues of their products and they should not be slammed for doing so, because it sets a bad precedent for doing the right thing. I use Shimano, Avid and Sram parts.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The only avid brakes I've had good luck with were the old juicy 7s. They don't have amazing feel or braking power, but they plain work. I still have a pair on my ss mtb that are going strong and haven't needed a bleed in a few years. However, it seems every model since then has gotten worse and worse in terms of durability and longevity. My LBS has all but sworn off avid brakes, and most people are swapping them out when new for shimano. I'm not sure what sram is doing wrong, but it seems their QC/manufacturing practices/etc have gone downhill. Being first to the market is cool, but I'll take a better engineered product that takes a little more time to develop any day. I'm waiting for the shimano road hydros before making the change from cable pull on my cx bike. Although, I'm not extremely excited about an electronic groupset... so it might be awhile.

Bring back the Tour de GA
    Brake Recall Clarification
    By Admin
    December 17, 2013

Since the announcement of our pending hydraulic brake recall, SRAM has received a number of inquiries related to reported incidents of brake failures in sub-freezing conditions. Our analysis shows the cold temperature accelerates the failure of the seal, but that also the sealing could fail in normal temperatures. As a result SRAM would like to once again ask all individuals riding bikes equipped with RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Brake Systems to STOP RIDING bikes immediately.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SRAM Road Hydraulic Brake Recall - Replacement Plan

We would like to outline for you our replacement plan. The logistics of execution are being hammered out but are not complete. Our first priority is safety our second priority is to get you back out riding just as fast as we can with mechanical brakes, and then with the new generation of hydraulic as soon as it is ready.

By region, here is how we plan to handle the recall, and consumers should work through their chosen local dealer for replacement:

Europe:
    Through the customerís chosen Dealer, SRAM will provide a mechanical brake system to replace the customerís hydraulic rim or disc brakes.
    SRAM also will provide to the customer an option of either receiving the new hydraulic braking system when the redesign is complete, or a check for EUR 150.
    SRAM will provide a fair labor cost cash reimbursement to the Dealer for all installs.
    Asia:
    Through the customerís chosen Dealer, SRAM will provide a mechanical rim or disc brake system to replace a customerís hydraulic rim or disc brakes.
    SRAM also will provide to the customer an option of either receiving the new hydraulic braking system when the redesign is complete, or a check for US$ 200.
    SRAM will provide a fair labor cost reimbursement to the dealer for all installs.
    North America:
    SRAM is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to finalize a comprehensive and approved solution. Here is what we can commit for customers as we work through this process:
    Through the customerís chosen Dealer, SRAM will provide a mechanical rim or disc brake system to replace a customerís hydraulic rim or disc brake system.
    SRAM will provide a fair labor cost cash reimbursement to the dealer for all installs.
    SRAM will provide a voucher for product or cash reimbursement in an amount to be determined between SRAM and the CPSC.

Here is the replacement matrix:
    Replacement Matrix

Additional updates:

We are working hard to get replacement mechanical braking systems widely available in Europe, the US and Asia by January 15.
    We expect the logistics for getting replacement product and reimbursement payments to be complete within two weeks. Given the global geography, there are differences in how we will need to execute. While we recommend that all customers use their local Dealer, the logistics will accommodate individuals choosing to install the replacement brakes themselves.
    We continue to make progress on the hydraulic redesign. Our teams are working through the holidays on resolution. We anticipate a technical and production update on Monday January 15.

We apologize for the inconvenience and are trying to get you back on the road as quickly as possible.
    The way i read it:

If you're in Europe or Asia, you'll get mechanical brakes and you'll get hydro disc brakes when they're fixed (or a small amount of money if you prefer that).

If you're in the USA, you'll receive mechanical disk brakes and that's it. NO replacement hydraulic brakes.

Basically if you're in the USA you're being ****ed by SRAM on this one.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by alula View Post
    The way i read it:

If you're in Europe or Asia, you'll get mechanical brakes and you'll get hydro disc brakes when they're fixed (or a small amount of money if you prefer that).

If you're in the USA, you'll receive mechanical disk brakes and that's it. NO replacement hydraulic brakes.

Basically if you're in the USA you're being ****ed by SRAM on this one.
    You completely misread it, and haven't been following the recall.

SRAM is doing the same thing in the US as they are in Asia and Europe.

1. Sending mechanical shifters and calipers immediately
    2a. Sending the redesigned hydraulic set up when its available. (product "voucher")

OR

2b. Sending a cash reimbursement ($ still TBD by CPSC, hence the different wording) if you choose not to receive the redesigned hydraulic set up and keep your mechanical.

It's quite simple. I've already gone through the recall procedure, and have a mechanical set up issued, and a hydraulic set up back ordered. All at no expense to me, or any significant amount of days off my bike. No one is getting screwed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was considering the Trek Crockett that uses these brakes. Glad I didn't pull the trigger too soon.

Anyone actually used the S-700 brakes? I can't find any reviews and I'm leery of Avid stuff.

I have the S-700 on my Crux EVO. I've been loving them since I found out how to adjust the lever to get more bar clearance. Good power and control. Hate that it will be out of commission for a while as the recall/replacement process plays out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    How did you adjust lever clearance? I was told you couldn't.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi67 View Post
    How did you adjust lever clearance? I was told you couldn't.

Reach adjustment screw.

SRAM recall-sram-reach-adjustment-screw-e1356736430650-900x507.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I was considering the Trek Crockett that uses these brakes. Glad I didn't pull the trigger too soon.

Anyone actually used the S-700 brakes? I can't find any reviews and I'm leery of Avid stuff.
    I, too, had a set of the S-700 brakes. Loved the brakes, liked the ergonomics, hated that they took out the trim feature. The front shifter is now "Yaw-compatible" but they didn't come paired to a yaw-style derailleur. No way to avoid chain rub, which I found unacceptable. I already switched to TRP hydraulics, I'll be taking the voucher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My plan was to get a Type 2 rear mech and go 1x10 anyway. Good to know that the brakes worked well at least.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I was asking about S-700 Hydro levers, not cable levers.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi67 View Post
    I was asking about S-700 Hydro levers, not cable levers.

SRAM recall-sram-red-22-hydro-rim-hrr-install146.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post
    You completely misread it, and haven't been following the recall.

SRAM is doing the same thing in the US as they are in Asia and Europe.

1. Sending mechanical shifters and calipers immediately
    2a. Sending the redesigned hydraulic set up when its available. (product "voucher")

OR

2b. Sending a cash reimbursement ($ still TBD by CPSC, hence the different wording) if you choose not to receive the redesigned hydraulic set up and keep your mechanical.

It's quite simple. I've already gone through the recall procedure, and have a mechanical set up issued, and a hydraulic set up back ordered. All at no expense to me, or any significant amount of days off my bike. No one is getting screwed.
    It seems that it will cost more to ship the replacement shifters/mechanical disc brakes back to SRAM than their value to them as used parts. I wonder what they'd sell 'em to me so I could use them on a B bike and use the hydraulics on my A bike? (I don't have a B bike, it's sort of a hypothetical??)

Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    I, too, had a set of the S-700 brakes. Loved the brakes, liked the ergonomics, hated that they took out the trim feature. The front shifter is now "Yaw-compatible" but they didn't come paired to a yaw-style derailleur. No way to avoid chain rub, which I found unacceptable. I already switched to TRP hydraulics, I'll be taking the voucher.
    My Crux also came with a non-yaw type FD and I had some rub. I changed to a Red FD and after some fiddling with setup, I get no chain rub over the full range, including cross-chaining at both extremes.

I'll be surprised if they ask us to return the mechanical brakes and levers. Hope not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Awesome. My shop had no idea. How about adjusting the outter lever's reach? My left brake lever stickes out more than the right and the shifter lever has a 1/2" gap to back of brake lever.

AZ
    banned
    The shift lever adjustment screw is on the inboard side.

mtbr member
    So, has anyone been able to get their brakes replaced yet? I am practicing patience but for crying out loud, I spent more on a bike than I ever thought I would just to stare at it!!! Nobody's fault...other than Sram but I would like my inferior stopping power BB7's now so I can at least ride my darn bike again. Poor timing on my part...