mtbr member

SRAM handshaking questions...CX newbie!

Hi there, doing my first real CX build (bought a CX bike a while ago, but didn't have anything to do with the component picking for that one!)

I'd like to run SRAM Force crankset and RD. I'm going 1x10 so won't need FD.

I'm also going flat bar, well, because I'm peculiar that way. As such, I'm not looking at the traditional "brifter" road bike drop bar shifter brake combo, I'm thinking either an XO trigger shifter, or something like that.

The question is this: does SRAM mountain (the XO shifter) handshake well with SRAM road (the Force RD)?

I hope so, otherwise I'll have to rethink my entire drivetrain choice!

Thanks for your help and input!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by a4racer View Post
    Hi there, doing my first real CX build (bought a CX bike a while ago, but didn't have anything to do with the component picking for that one!)

I'd like to run SRAM Force crankset and RD. I'm going 1x10 so won't need FD.

I'm also going flat bar, well, because I'm peculiar that way. As such, I'm not looking at the traditional "brifter" road bike drop bar shifter brake combo, I'm thinking either an XO trigger shifter, or something like that.

The question is this: does SRAM mountain (the XO shifter) handshake well with SRAM road (the Force RD)?

I hope so, otherwise I'll have to rethink my entire drivetrain choice!

Thanks for your help and input!
    SRAM road and mtb 10-sp are completely compatible.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Awesome...

thanks Shiggy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sram Red new Ergdynamic shifters and Cx crank options:

Working on an new CX bike build. I am thinking of pairing new Sram Ergodynamic shifters, front Yaw derailleur with 11' Sram Red black CX/ GXP crank w/ Wickworks 34/44 chainrings. Any thoughts on this setup, pro or con?

mtbr member
    They work well together but it is more of an ass slap rather than a handshake.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Can you be more specific, like pros, cons, issues, etc.?

Bro Mountainbiker
    It works! We test SRAM Red backwards compatibility

Should work. Not 100% as designed. Hence the "ass slap" I guess.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I know we're talking about drivetrains here, but I just got done re-converting my CX bike back to a flat-bar (well, low riser) 1X10 (38T X 11-36). If you don't have disc mounts and you have to go rim brakes - consider mini-v brakes. I upgraded from canti's to mini-v's and they are a much better choice, especially if you're going with a flat bar with MTB levers.

People have complained about mud clearance issues, but if you live in an area that's not too bad, or you're not going to be racing in extremely muddy conditions, mini-v's are great.

EDIT: Whoops! OP is from March!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I know we're talking about drivetrains here, but I just got done re-converting my CX bike back to a flat-bar (well, low riser) 1X10 (38T X 11-36). If you don't have disc mounts and you have to go rim brakes - consider mini-v brakes. I upgraded from canti's to mini-v's and they are a much better choice, especially if you're going with a flat bar with MTB levers.

People have complained about mud clearance issues, but if you live in an area that's not too bad, or you're not going to be racing in extremely muddy conditions, mini-v's are great.

EDIT: Whoops! OP is from March!
    Gosh Dion!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens