mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Specialized Crux vs Cannondale Super X

I currently ride an 09 Trek XO1. It's a decent enough bike, but I ride a 62 cm (I'm 6'6", 230lbs), so I end up with a lot of head deflection and I'd like something stiffer. I'm considering making a move. I have a CAAD9 and love it, so naturally I want to give the C'Dale a look. The only reason I bought the Trek over a CAADX in the first place is that my LBS cut me a super slick deal on it. I also like the look of the Crux, although I haven't ridden one yet. I'm guessing the larger tapered head tube on the Crux will create a stiffer front end. I don't race, but I use it for commuting/training/general fun. I just don't feel comfortable pushing the Trek as hard as I'd like to because of the front end flex. I'm looking at doing one of a few things:

1. Pick up a 2013 Crux Comp Apex Disc and sell/trade the Trek
    2. Wait a month for the 2013 C'Dale Super X to come out and look at the Super X Rival and potentially trade sell/the Trek
    3. Buy a frame from one of the above-mentioned bikes and build it up from my current bike (obviously I would need to pick up some disc brakes), and sell my Trek frame.

I considered the Trek Ion frame, but my buddy has a new Ion, and the welds on it look as bad as the ones on my XO do, and it is the same price as a Crux frame. I own a CAAD9-5, a Stumpjumper FSR Expert, a Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er, a Fisher Hifi Pro Carbon, and my XO1. The C'Dale and Spesh frames look worlds better in terms of welds and craftsmanship.

I know the new C'Dales aren't out yet, but I'm interested to hear peoples opinions on my situation. I don't want to spend much more than $1000 to upgrade. I want stiff and light. Basically, I want something that rides like my CAAD9, but can go anywhere. My Trek just falls a little short of that goal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I rode a 2012 Crux Comp Apex today; great bike. They didn't have a 61cm, but they did have a 58cm, which was good enough for a test ride. It definitely has the stiffness I'm looking for, and it doesn't feel too heavy. I think for my needs/wants, this bike would be tough to beat at this pricepoint. I was originally leaning towards a disc model, but the brakes on the cantilever setup worked great. The owner of the shop attributes it to the tapered head tube and the beafiness of the fork. He said he doesn't carry the disc model because the BB7 brakes just don't work well with mechanical road levers. There was no deflection or shudder to speak of at any time during my ride. If I cant talk the wife into it, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. The LBS owner is going to the trade show in Utah next week, so he said he'll get me some more info about the 2013 models, because he'll have to order whichever gigantor frame I want, regardless. He also sells Ridley and Felt, but said I would probably find myself more comfortable on the Crux.

I'm still interested in the Cannondale (mainly due to the great bang for the buck), but there is only one dealer anywhere near where I live, and they don't have any in stock. The friendly salesman did use his dealer login and discovered some unfortunate info from the Cannondale website. He said that the 2013 Super X only goes up to a 58cm frame (I'm wondering if they are concerned about the durability of the carbon with the larger frames). He also said that the CAADX is available in either a 61cm or 62cm frame, but all models are Shimano builds. I would really like a SRAM gruppo on my new bike, but only the Super X will be available with SRAM components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just an FYI, you mentioned disk brakes. I believe the only 2013 Cannondale SuperX's that will come with disk brakes are the top end alloy and carbon models. I had a chance to look at the 2013 dealer catalog 2 days ago. So the top end CAADX with Ultegra ($2200) and the top end Sram Red SuperX ($6100) will both have disk. All others will be canti and relatively unchanged from 2012. I personally love the SuperX but not from experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I ordered a Crux Comp Apex tonight. There were two 2012's in 61cm left in the country. My LBS hooked me up with 15% off. I'm stoked. Having the brake cable stop mounted on the crown makes the canti brakes work almost as well as caliper brakes; no need for the disc in my case. I should be able to pick it up next weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    my new Ions front brake cable is mounted on a widget thing to keep it higher than the neck. Supposedly to stop chatter under stress. I dont ride it hard enough to know if it helps... but I love the bike.

Human Test Subject
    Don't listen to your LBS owner if he says bb7s don't work with road levers. Some crummy tektro stuff may not, but road bb7s are fantastic. I wont ever switch.