mtbr member

soma double cross questions...

I know that there some soma double cross here so I dicided to ask for hekp.

I'm building a soma double cross as a commuter for lisbon city, because the streets here are in really bad shape, and as road bike for some short rides...

So first question, I'm 5.8 and I'm inclined to the 52 frame but that's maybe to small for me. I will use a 110 stem.

Second question, can I use a Campagnolo Veloce Groupset 2x10 CT Compact 2011 group on it, except for the brakes of course.

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    what's the effective tt?

mtbr member
    545 for the 52 and 567 for the 54.

jrm
    mtbr member

The 52 ETT

is 556 the actual is 545. Im 5'8.5"s and the 52 was to small and the 54 was good using a 90 x 110mm stem.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was close to getting a DC last year and the 52 was my size (I'm also 5'8"), but I always like long stems, 120 or so. As you can see, someone your size might go either way.

Any road groupset will work.

mtbr member
    thank you all, for the help, like my stem will be a 110, maybe I will go for the 52 to, the only problem now is finding a place in europe that will ship the frame to Portugal.

mudrock and what frame did you bought instead?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xsalirx View Post
    mudrock and what frame did you bought instead?
    I actually went with a On One Dirty Disco, a carbon frame. decided to go lightweight since I wanted discs and didn't want to have a real heavy bike. On One has a lot of nice frames, just not a steel cross frame yet. They do have the Farmer John in alloy (planet X, their sister company). They're English, as you probably know.

jrm
    mtbr member

Theres also the on one kaffenback

fits 35s and with dropouts that be swapped out for SS as well. I think it would be easier to get for you.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    mudrock yeah I know planet X, from the time when they use to do dual slalom, and I know they have great prices and that would be easy for me to get like jrm said, but the some double cross in paper, looks like such a great frame and for a decent price...that I would really like to get one!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Can't argue with that. Tange Prestige is good tubing and Soma's a cool company.

mtbr member
    I didn't buyed the double cross iet, and when was searching where to buy it I discovered the black mountain monster cross. do any of you know this frame, what you think about it? comparing it with the double cross.

Black Mountain Cycles: Black Mountain Cycles Frames

thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    In your size, w a 54cm TT, the BMC has a lower BB (68mm drop vs. 66 in Soma), slightly slacker HT, and probably slightly heavier. They don't identify their tubing, but w Soma you know your getting Tange Prestige. The tire clearance might be the same: "700x38 w/fenders" (Soma) or "700x45" (BMC).

Cross Commuter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

check out this pick of what I think will be your size in the BMC. He doesn't like slanting TTs, whereas the Soma DC in a 52cm definitely slants.

Also you don't say if you are going w cantis or discs, Soma has both. For me these decisions always come down to color: I have to love the way it looks. Soma in steel blue or ivory and BMC in orange or grey and maybe some of last years brown..

mtbr member
    I'm running cantis. The Soma is bit lighter, and that make's think twice about buying the black mountain. And yes the tange it's probably better then the steel from black mountain...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Question for you Soma Double Cross guys:
    I have a 2012 DC V2 that I've been gathering parts for. I just realized the other day that the retailer I bought it from didn't ship it with a derailleur hanger and they don't seem very cooperative in helping me get one. Does anyone out there know where I could get a derailleur hanger? Is there an aftermarket version that fits? Part number? Thanks.