Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toadlywilde View Post
    Portland, ME. We just moved out here a two months ago from Utah. Have you heard of the East Coast Greenway? Here in Maine, it's pretty continuous and intermittently paved. I'm not sure what it's like in NH, but it's worth looking into.
    Is that the pathway you can see on the side on the highways (295 & 95)?

Nice bike btw. You should do the Rockingham Raid in June in Newmarket, NH. It's a 100k gravel/road ride that starts out at the Independent Fabrications facility. It's about an hr from Portland.

mtbr member
    I switched the Tektro cantis to their mini-v's. Much better stopping power for fast descents, especiially on single track and rocky roads. The TRP's might be even better, although a lot more money.

Also, I want to do the Rockingham Raid next year. I need to get my old body in shape and figure how to set the bike up for that. I will be looking for gravel roads in MA and NH during the next few weeks. I'm just north of Boston.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I built up this Double Cross disc in the spring and have been riding it all summer on pavement and gravel. This bike is a great "all roads" bike. Very happy on pavement or gravel. Just swap the tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Is that the pathway you can see on the side on the highways (295 & 95)?

Nice bike btw. You should do the Rockingham Raid in June in Newmarket, NH. It's a 100k gravel/road ride that starts out at the Independent Fabrications facility. It's about an hr from Portland.
    Sorry for the late response.

Yes, the pathway parallels the 95 and the 1 close enough to see in some places.

The Rockingham Raid sounds like a blast. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Paper or plastic?
    Thinking about picking up a frame, and slapping on my old 3x9 drivetrain, some 29er wheel, 38mm tires and riser bars. Good/bad/dumb idea?

Idea is to create a versatile road/gravel bike.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Thinking about picking up a frame, and slapping on my old 3x9 drivetrain, some 29er wheel, 38mm tires and riser bars. Good/bad/dumb idea?

Idea is to create a versatile road/gravel bike.

If a 38mm tire is going to big enough for you it would be a great choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Soma Double Cross Disc

Thinking about building one of these up as a 650b, running Grand bois Hetres.

Any thoughts about the benefits of this setup vs 700x35 Paselas or similar?

At this stage I'm thinking SRAM brifters and a compact double with a med cage X9 12-36.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espresso_ View Post

At this stage I'm thinking SRAM brifters and a compact double with a med cage X9 12-36.
    I like the choices I have with running 700c wheels. You can run just about anything on a set of tubeless 29er rims. I've had 25c racing tires, 35c CX tires, 32c Paselas, and even bontrager 1.9 MTB 29er tires. The possibilties are endless with a nice 29er wheelset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Soma Double Cross Disc

Quote Originally Posted by chunkmastafunk2 View Post
    I like the choices I have with running 700c wheels. You can run just about anything on a set of tubeless 29er rims. I've had 25c racing tires, 35c CX tires, 32c Paselas, and even bontrager 1.9 MTB 29er tires. The possibilties are endless with a nice 29er wheelset.
    That's a good point, although I have other bikes to fill those functions, and the range of tyre options on 650b are growing and I'll be running mudguards with tight clearances which would in practice prevent VERY different tyre profiles from being fitted.

My intent with 650b Hetres is to find the one solution that will work for the majority of my riding.

E

Teen Wolf
    totally dig it, looks like a great commuter

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I built mine up with that drivetrain originally. I loved it. I've since switched to different handlebars with X5 shifters, but still use the compact crank and X9 RD on a 11-36 cassette. I run Panaracer UrbanMax 35s. They feel like they roll as good as the 25s on my dedicated road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Espresso_ View Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Soma Double Cross Disc

Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I built mine up with that drivetrain originally. I loved it. I've since switched to different handlebars with X5 shifters, but still use the compact crank and X9 RD on a 11-36 cassette. I run Panaracer UrbanMax 35s. They feel like they roll as good as the 25s on my dedicated road bike.
    Good to hear!

According to the official specs, the med cage X9 rear derailleur doesn't have enough wrap for a 50/34 compact and a 12-36 cassette.

I was going to swap the 50t chainring for a 48t.

Did it just work for you? Or did you get the long cage rear derailleur?

E

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I used a long cage type 2

I got nothin'

My Soma Double Cross Disc Commuter

Soma Double Cross Disc-20140420_210322.jpgSoma Double Cross Disc-20140420_210400.jpgSoma Double Cross Disc-20140420_210413.jpgSoma Double Cross Disc-20140420_210424.jpgSoma Double Cross Disc-20140420_210501.jpg

All black with an 8 speed Alfine drivetrain, Avid BB7 brakes, Salsa Cowbells. A wee heavy, but a great commuter.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Soma Double Cross Disc

Great looking bike!

What kind of fork is that? Any reason for not going with the Soma fork?

Shame about the chain tensioner...would have been great to get that "single speed" look with the Alfine.

E

I got nothin'
    The fork is a Winwood Carbon Fork. I already had it from my previous bike, so I used it on the Soma. It's a nice fork but a but stiff. Thinking it's a little over built.

It's hard to get the right tension with vertical dropouts. I calculated that I needed a 48tooth chainring, but it's was a little too loose. A 50 tooth was too big. The only 49tooth that I could find was a Salsa stainless and it's in silver only. Would have messed up my black scheme. LOL!
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Soma Double Cross Disc

Well I just ordered my Soma Double Cross disc frame, along with some of the build parts (gonna run this with 650b rims and tyres) - should take a few weeks to arrive to Australia.

In the mean time, I need a fork (and most of the drivetrain). Probably going with the new Soma curved, lugged disc fork in Old Gold to match.

E
    Last edited by Espresso_; 04-23-2014 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Soma Double Cross Disc

My bike is finally ready!

It's also been featured on the Soma blog.

http://somafab.blogspot.com/2014/06/...-from.html?m=1

Loving it!!

E

A God Without A Name
    I'm honestly considering selling my Straggler and picking up a Double cross.

Which is kind of a kicker, because you can get the frame and fork for about 450, and My Straggler cost 650.

Might just be easier to throw a carbon fork on the Straggler, as my reasons for wanting the Soma is the MUCH more forgiving and pleasant ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2