Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Soma Double Cross build...

What's the haps all? Been a long time since I posted here....

Got a few questions about some of the parts I need to procure for my Soma DC build. Here goes!

1. I have an XTR Short Cage rear derailleur....what should I pair it with as far as cassette and crankset go? I live in Houston (flat) and want to do some light crossing / light touring....could I go with one ring and make it a 1x10??? or would I not have the right gearing in place to do those things....(more interested in a 75 mi ride vs 'crossing)

2. I want the Nitto Randonneur bar....I'm 5-9 normal build....and I have no idea what size to buy....would a 44cm do the trick?? would a 45cm be too big??

PEACE!

One Cog Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    1. I have an XTR Short Cage rear derailleur....what should I pair it with as far as cassette and crankset go? I live in Houston (flat) and want to do some light crossing / light touring....could I go with one ring and make it a 1x10??? or would I not have the right gearing in place to do those things....(more interested in a 75 mi ride vs 'crossing)

2. I want the Nitto Randonneur bar....I'm 5-9 normal build....and I have no idea what size to buy....would a 44cm do the trick?? would a 45cm be too big??
    Hey Mike -
    I just built a new DC frame earlier this month and set it up w/a Shimano short cage rear der running on a 1x10. I'm currently running a 38x12-25 and it's doing the trick for mixed rides around the Mid-Atlantic. You may want to run a 42t front ring in your area.

I went back and forth on bars and ended up with a Salsa Cowbell which has a great feel so I'm stoked with that choice. I've got fairly wide shoulders and I went with the 44cm as the wider drops have always felt a little unwieldy to me.

So far I've ridden it on and off road and it's great feeling frame/fork. Keep us posted with some build pics once you're underway.

http://forums.mtbr.com/members/trail...uble-cross.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks NRG! Great info for sure. I got a sweet wheelset too - some stout DT Swiss gear...what size cranks would you roll with ? 172.5? I have no clue on this roadie type stuff!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yep... mine are stolen right off a road bike and are 172.5. I've ridden 175 and 170's both fixed gear and free and I honestly can't tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Soma

Are you planning to ride the Soma on the road as well? I am considering the same frame as a jack of all for club rides, commuting, gravel roads and centuries. Curious as what you have planned...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Oh yeah, I'm registered for a road century this Saturday and will take it out on a group mtb ride on Monday morning. It's almost Surly Crosscheck like with respect to versatility so if you looking for a great all around bike it's near the top of the list IMO. I'm super stoked with mine and I've owned a few nice steel cross frames in the past. Just in case you haven't had a sip of the KoolAid yet:
    Soma Fabrications Double Cross - YouTube
    Feel free to shoot me over any questions that you may have.

Expert Crasher

I built a new 2009 frame this past June. Love it, running 1x10 at the moment.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Bicycle Addict
    Man that's a freakin sweet build! I just sold my roadie to buy a Soma DC (ivory) frame. I'm very excited to build up a CX bike. I'll be coming back with some questions for you guys.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    my kit should be at the bike shop this wknd. decided to go sram rival cyclocross (46/38) crankset. figure i can always go 1x10 down the road. will post pics after the build. but so far it's paul canti's, DT Swiss wheels and hubs, thomson seat post, ck hdset, shimano bar end shifters...you get the idea. pics to follow fo sho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Doublecross

Mine parts may already be here. The bike builder that ordered them for me was out of town last week. I also sold my alluminum TT bike with a carbon fork to try steel. I hated that bikes ride.
    I'm doing Rival except apex crank because you can't get a 46/38 without buying it seperate.
    CK hubs and headset, stans alpha rims with sapim spokes ,Trp cv8.4 brakes, Thompson post, Specialized phenom saddle,fsa stem and omega compact bars.

I'm excited and nervous this will be my first drop bar bike. I do all my road rides on a Giant anthem X2(26" full squish) I Know it's getting me in shape, but I hope to pick up a few mph on this.

It was recomended that I might like top brake levers comming from MTB
    What are the opinions?

Hopefully we will have pics if not ride reports in the next week or so

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Doublecross

Double post
    Last edited by Repo; 09-19-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: double post

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bartop levers are for people who have no bike handling skills to miss by putting their hands super close together at the time that they need their handling skills the most.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jrm
    mtbr member

Had a 08' DC/Disc

I must have partially revised my build at least 4 times. I ran a flat bar, bell lap, and finally with a on one midge bar. I used cheap friction shifters, then STI shifters only to go back to the friction shifters. I also ran it with avid BB7s but ended up removing um b/c the disc brakes and 29er disc wheelset added a lot of weight. i finally ended up using mavic OPs with ultegra hubs and full v brakes. IMO this was the the best set up b/c the bike turned out lighter and it retained the bikes versatility.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Bicycle Addict
    So I just got this thing yesterday. I'm so excited to build it up. Any recommendations on bars? That's the only part I'm having difficulty in deciding what to get.

[IMG][/IMG]

and fork

[IMG][/IMG]
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just put some Salsa Cowbell 3's on mine and they're great if you're looking for a shallow drop bar with some flare on the bottom. I ridden them on the dirt for a few 30 mile trail rides as well as a road century this month and they're a perfect all around bar IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNRG View Post
    I just put some Salsa Cowbell 3's on mine and they're great if you're looking for a shallow drop bar with some flare on the bottom. I ridden them on the dirt for a few 30 mile trail rides as well as a road century this month and they're a perfect all around bar IMO.
    Same thoughts here. Long rides, offroad trips, etc. Perfect bars.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have some compact bend FSA bars on my road bike. Really like them. I'd like to put a set on my 'cross bike, but I don't get a ton of saddle time on it, so I'm trying not to bolt too much money to it either.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bicycle Addict
    Sounds good guys. Thanks for the input! I scored some sweet SRAM Rivals cranks on fleabay for $43! They're two years old but still.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nice y'all. my dc is being built up as I type. will be out of the shop on tuesday. any reco's on tires that will take city and light offroad? looking for some tips on that front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

The Build

OK, here it is -

Soma Doublecross 54cm
    Sram Rival cranks (Cyclocross - 46/38 I think) 172.5
    Sram Cassette 11-25
    Paul Canti's
    XTR Pedals
    XTR Short Cage derailleur
    Swiss DT 240S hubs
    Swiss DT RR1.1 hoops
    CK Headset
    Scott bar
    Shimano 9spd Bar End shifters
    Thomson seatpost
    no-name stem (100mm)
    Kenda Small Block 8 tires
    Cane Creek brake levers

I love the ride. The only thing I'm a little surprised about is how many spacers it took to fit it correctly! Maybe as I become more comfortable on it, I'll get more aggressive and remove a spacer or two. Anyone else with the Doublecross have more spacers than they thought they would have? I'm 5-9 and the 54 fits me perf. Looking forward to the trips around town, hitting some gravel and s/trak, maybe doing a cyclo-x race or just taking it on a short tour for a day or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Double Cross build...-soma1.jpg  

Soma Double Cross build...-soma-2.jpg  

Soma Double Cross build...-soma-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yes i have a double cross frame and i too had to put more spacers below the stem. it seemed odd because i am not used to doing that. so i put a couple on and road it for a while like that. but then finally a went ahead and put another one underneath again.

Bicycle Addict
    I love it! What size tires are you running?
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks J3! Running the Kenda Small Block size 32.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yeah, i thought the doublecross talked about a headtube length that would not need so many spacers. I have 5 spacers, which includes the cable router to the front brake. hmmmm.....

mtbr member

Here's my DC

Built up from leftover mountain/road bike parts in the garage.

Soma DC 52cm frame (I am 5' 9")
    Tange straight blade CX steel fork
    Mavic Open Pro, 3x on XTR 960 hubs
    Dura-Ace 7700 rear derailleur
    SL-BS77 bar-end shifters
    Race Face Deus crank & BB with single 38t RF ring
    XTR 960 V-Brakes
    Cane Creek Drop V brake levers
    Ritchey 4-Axis comp stem (80mm)
    Salsa Cowbell 3 handlebars (42cm)
    Syncros titanium seatpost (circa 1998)
    Fizik Gobi saddle