Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Skinniest tire for CX? Wanting to use my road bike, possible?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kmancrx 
#1 ·
I have the max # of bikes my hubby allows, I currently have my cargo bike up for sale but the market in the Midwest isn't that great for cargo bikes so it might be a while until it sells.
In the meantime, I'd like to try some CX stuff and have 2 other bikes that could potentially get the nod but they aren't the perfect solution either.

I am thinking my Salsa Colossal would work better for picking up and carrying, plus it has gears and curls. The main issue is the max tire size is 28. I have some 28 knobbies(more like nubbins!) and that might work unless the course is a mud fest! Clearance for mud is decent with them and I don't think the tread design will allow much packing. But they are skinny by CX standards!

And the I have a Surly Karate Monkey. SS setup with open upright bars. Plenty of clearance but she's gonna be a hefty one to haul over obstacles! Plus, is SS really a setup for a noob CXer? I guess it'd be like BMX in mud! I could put skinner tires on it than the 2.5 ExiWolfs it has now to be more inline with typical CX.

I can't do anything bike purchase wise until the cargo sells and only have about $100 in the budget to alter the 2 current rides to make them work better for CX.

Is doing CX on 28s dumb? Is trying to do CX on my heavy KM SS even dumber? I am by no means competitive OR serious, just wanna learn how to do it and enjoy myself.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.