mtbr member

Skinniest tire for CX? Wanting to use my road bike, possible?

I have the max # of bikes my hubby allows, I currently have my cargo bike up for sale but the market in the Midwest isn't that great for cargo bikes so it might be a while until it sells.
    In the meantime, I'd like to try some CX stuff and have 2 other bikes that could potentially get the nod but they aren't the perfect solution either.

I am thinking my Salsa Colossal would work better for picking up and carrying, plus it has gears and curls. The main issue is the max tire size is 28. I have some 28 knobbies(more like nubbins!) and that might work unless the course is a mud fest! Clearance for mud is decent with them and I don't think the tread design will allow much packing. But they are skinny by CX standards!

And the I have a Surly Karate Monkey. SS setup with open upright bars. Plenty of clearance but she's gonna be a hefty one to haul over obstacles! Plus, is SS really a setup for a noob CXer? I guess it'd be like BMX in mud! I could put skinner tires on it than the 2.5 ExiWolfs it has now to be more inline with typical CX.

I can't do anything bike purchase wise until the cargo sells and only have about $100 in the budget to alter the 2 current rides to make them work better for CX.

Is doing CX on 28s dumb? Is trying to do CX on my heavy KM SS even dumber? I am by no means competitive OR serious, just wanna learn how to do it and enjoy myself.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    In CX you can have a spare bike in the pits. I did my first CX races on a 3x9 mountain bike with 26x2.1 tires. I'd say take both bikes if it's dry use the bike with the 28s. It's sloppy get out the KM. Maybe skinnier tires for the KM, but for just getting into CX just have fun.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Take both bikes to some practices and experiment with it. My bet is that you'll choose the mountain bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I did my first two cx races on a SS cross bike. I liked it so much, I bought a geared cross bike and sold the SS. Plenty of people race cx on mountain bikes around here (midwest).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    We just single speeded my buddies old school (1996) Gary Fisher Kaitai for racing in the single speed category. Run what ya brung and have fun.