mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Singlespeed BB30 Crankset

Hi all,

First time poster here. As the title suggests, I'm looking for a BB30 singlespeed crankset. I have a felt breed, and I destroyed the s350 crankset, which is not available except on that bike. I'd like to get a singlespeed specific crankset to replace it, but I haven't found any that are made for bb30. Does anyone know of any? If not, do you think I'm better off getting a conversion to get a singlespeed crank or just getting a 2x crank and running one ring? Would that affect chainline at all?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member
    I just put a new ultegra group on my specialized roubaix sl3 that has a bb30. I used the wheels manufacturing adapters. They slid in easier than I would like, I didnt have to tap them in with a hammer like the instructions say. Spring isnt here yet, so I cant say how reliable this setup is going to be. If this doesnt work out, I will get one of the bottom brackets that dont require adapters.

Sorry, no advice on a SS crank!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks, Fakie. That's helpful. I think I'm going to start by going to my shop. I'm hoping they can get the same crank from SRAM or Felt. I understand that some components are only made for companies selling complete bikes, but the fact that there is not a single option on the market (if I'm wrong someone please correct me) is a little bit frustrating. I understand it's not that big a deal to use something that's almost there -- bb30 double or non-bb30 with an adaptor -- but it would have been nice if there was.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive been using a ultegra double two piece crankset w outboard bearings set up on my pompino for quite a while and its been great. Its nice to be able to use a bashguard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatlenny View Post
    I'd like to get a singlespeed specific crankset to replace it, but I haven't found any that are made for bb30.
    While not specific to cyclocross, I took Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL crank and swapped the spider for a Hollowgram XX1 single ring spider and SRAM XX1 32 tooth chainring for use on my SS 29er. Alternately you might consider the new Race Face Next SL BB30 single ring crank. Of course for either of those chouices, you will be limited to 38 tooth rings so if you want something bigger, I think there are some companies making spider rings that may work.
    Last edited by ms6073; 03-13-2014 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm running a Sram S900 crank with a Wolftooth direct mount chainring on it. It's basically the same thing as a Force level crank with a replaceable spider. So far it's been perfect. I am using an X.9 type 2 short cage derailleur in the rear. So I have a 44t front and 11-36 rear and don't need to use a chain guide.