mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Singlecross all-rounder build plan

First cross bike. Always had MTBs, but now I'm moving house and looking forward to cranking out a 35km round trip work commute, and my chunky 29er doesn't seem like the best tool for it.

So I found a 58cm Voodoo Wazoo frameset at a friendly price, and I'd appreciate some feedback about my singlespeed build plan.

• Drivetrain: Alfine FC-S500 39t crankset; White Industries Eno freewheel 16t; WI Eno disc hub 32H.
    • Rims: TBD
    • Other parts: BB7 brakeset + discs; Cane Creek S-8 headset; flatbar (probably).

Notes:

Still undecided on rims. I'm 125kg/270lbs and don't want to ride gently, so 29er rims seem like the natural choice. Maybe Stans Arch. Are there any problems with a cross setup like that?

Also, the dropouts are 130mm, but I'd like to squeeze the 135mm Eno hub in there because it's tough and nice and I already own it. Everything I've read suggests that a steel frame won't complain much about that and will eventually set to the new spacing. If that's wrong, please tell me before I start!

I'm going with the Alfine crankset because it's a nice price, decent quality, not ramped, and I'm a big fan of the Alfine hub - if I need gears in future I'll go IGH instead of derailers.

Sheldon Brown puts that gearing (39:16) at about 66.5 gear inches. The trip is about two thirds flat as a pancake, then climbs into some rolling hills, so it's not the best ratio for top speed, but loaded with work gear it should cruise along nicely and not break me toward the finish. I think it should also be manageable for gravel grinds and some fire trails.

Any feedback would be appreciated before I start investing time and money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks like the Wazoo drops are 135mm (per your link), not 130mm, so your current wheel set should work. Also, if they were 130mm spacing, I do not recommend trying to squeeze 135mm hubs in there. At least let a pro cold set it (if the frame isn't heat-treated).

For rims, I would say any good quality 32h rim (A23, Open Pro, or MTB rims) would work for you, since it's not going to see the abuse a MTB will.

Frame wise, personally, I would go with something that will fit 45's. The description says 40 with plenty of mud clearance, so maybe it can fit tires like BG Rock n Road. For dirt/gravel/singletrack rides, I would definitely want the flexibility.

Gearing--there are some mega hills around me and I ride 70-72 GI. Your gearing should work fine, but at time may find it undergeared on the road and little too tall on the trails.

Sounds like a fun bike. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the comments.

The frame was ordered before I posted, and arrived today! I picked it carefully because it was not only a good price, but has weird geometry that suits my weird proportions - long seat tube with short top tube. I'm willing to forgive its shortcomings for the comfort I hope it will provide.

The spacing is indeed 130mm. That's a point of confusion with Wazoos, since Voodoo produced a couple of early batches at 135mm. But the tape doesn't lie and neither did the seller I got it from (which isn't the one I linked to).

People have squeezed 45c tyres in there, but it won't take anything too knobbly at that size.

As for abuse, I'm not sure. I doubt it will ever see technical singletrack, but if I blast it down some mild MTB courses I want something that will handle the track and my weight, so 29er rims are still tempting. In any case, I can't build a wheel, so I'll see what the LBS recommends and go from there.

For a fortnight I practiced hauling my MTB around in a single gear at about 71 inches and it was tough going but bearable. I hope 66-68 inches will be about the right compromise for commuting, fire trails, touring, and my ageing knees, without excelling at any of them but still being fun. If not, I'll have to suck up the expense and change it.

I don't know much about cold setting. Isn't throwing a hub in there pretty much the same as pushing the stays out by any other method?

Stokeless Asshat
    Regarding the 130-135 issue. The Eno caps are replaceable for conversion to 130. Quick and easy.
    White Industries - Kits and Adaptors

39-16 is a great start. With 40ish tires you'll be in the 68" range. I run a 42-16 with 45's and that get's me a 73.5" gear. Perfect for my leisure, loaded and flatish commute. If you haven't already tried, I'd take a look at drop bars also. The position options really do make a big difference.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cheers.

Bike shop guy schooled me on the hubs today, so I'm planning to fix them myself.

I've only experimented with SS on a geared setup, so I don't want to jump in too high. I'd rather build up than smash myself on a high gear at the outset.

As for drops, I'll definitely experiment, but my experience so far has been pretty rough. My flexibility is low and I'm overweight, so I can't make a fair judgement of drop bars until I can use them properly.

I dig bar ends though, so I reckon I'll graduate to something that lets me ride with that vertical grip position.

Stokeless Asshat
    A nice tall stem that get's your tops up where your flat bar grips sit makes all the difference. That and dropping that extra 15 I'm carrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    Cheers.

Bike shop guy schooled me on the hubs today, so I'm planning to fix them myself.

I've only experimented with SS on a geared setup, so I don't want to jump in too high. I'd rather build up than smash myself on a high gear at the outset.

As for drops, I'll definitely experiment, but my experience so far has been pretty rough. My flexibility is low and I'm overweight, so I can't make a fair judgement of drop bars until I can use them properly.

I dig bar ends though, so I reckon I'll graduate to something that lets me ride with that vertical grip position.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, if it gets too bad, Voodoo already has an answer...

Just to check, are there any problems with 29er rims on a cross frame other than maybe limiting the skinniness of tyres on there?