Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I go from 1" threaded to 1" threadless?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  AndrwSwitch 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had my surly cross check for like 9-10 years and it has a 1" threaded steerer and salsa quill stem. and it's starting to get a bit rusty around the edges (cable stops, dropouts etc). I plan on getting it powder coated this winter.

The question is should I "upgrade" to a 1" threadless crosscheck fork and subsequently threadless headset and stem? I figure the upgrade will cost me probably $200 for everything plus whatever powder coating costs me. I don't have any issues with the current setup but I figure if I'm going to have it color matched anyways now would be the time.

See less See more
#4 ·
I was looking to rehab an old Trek awhile back. It had a 1" steerer. I needed a new HS anyway, so I was just going to go threadless. 1" threadless headsets are not hard to find, but 1" threadless stems are. Thomson makes a shim that will let you use a 1 1/8" threadless stem on a 1" steerer, so I was gonna do that to give me more stem options.

I have since changed directions on the project and will not be doing that. But it's possible and it doesn't have to cost $200 necessarily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.