mtbr member

Shimano road and MTB drivetrain mixing

Hi,
    I'm going to attempt to mix Shimano Ultegra 6700 road shifters with a MTB double crank, and I'm wondering if I should get the Utegra 6700 triple front shifter and limit travel, or double front shifter, and what FD to try?
    Road or MTB FD, and which one if you've had good results?

From experience I know I can use a 9 speed MTB RD, with Shimano Ultegra 10 speed road shifters on a 10 speed MTB cassette to get the rear gearing how I want it, but the front shifting is a little tricky to find info on.

Thanks for any advice and experience!

mtbr member
    I would do the double shifter with the MTB double FD. My general rule is the FD matches the crankset, then double shifter for double crankset, triple shifter for triple crankset. Using a triple shifter would probably work fine, but can be a bit too finicky to dial in.

mtbr member
    Thanks..cool.
    Makes so much sense now that you say it.
    Hopefully the pull of the Shimano road shifter is OK with the travel needed for the MTB FD and crank.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by adambarry View Post
    Hi,
    I'm going to attempt to mix Shimano Ultegra 6700 road shifters with a MTB double crank, and I'm wondering if I should get the Utegra 6700 triple front shifter and limit travel, or double front shifter, and what FD to try?
    Road or MTB FD, and which one if you've had good results?

From experience I know I can use a 9 speed MTB RD, with Shimano Ultegra 10 speed road shifters on a 10 speed MTB cassette to get the rear gearing how I want it, but the front shifting is a little tricky to find info on.

Thanks for any advice and experience!
    Get the triple shifter. Gives you options. No downside.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Shimano road and MTB drivetrain mixing

Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    I would do the double shifter with the MTB double FD. My general rule is the FD matches the crankset, then double shifter for double crankset, triple shifter for triple crankset. Using a triple shifter would probably work fine, but can be a bit too finicky to dial in.
    My understanding is that Shimano road and mountain have different front pull ratios, but that the chainrings are spaced the same (just further outboard for the mountain). Based on that, I would go road triple, as shiggy suggested. I personally can attest to successfully shifting a mountain triple with road derailleur and shifter (My wife's commuter).

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Have you considered a single ring up front? With a mtb type cassette (I run an 11-32) you get a pretty good range. When I got my bike I didn't think I'd like the 1x9 it came with, but I really like it now. I still run 3 gears up front on all my mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    IIRC Shimano road and mountain shifters and hence derailleurs operate with a different pull ratio and are not compatible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Shimano road and MTB drivetrain mixing

Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    IIRC Shimano road and mountain shifters and hence derailleurs operate with a different pull ratio and are not compatible.
    True of 10 & 11 speed rear and all front (at least for a while, not sure when mtn and road front derailleurs fit different pull ratios). 8 (7?) To 10 speed road are fully compatible in the rear with 8 (7?) To 9 speed mountain. All the above is in reference to Shimano.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I know I tried a road shifter with a triple front mtn derailleur some time ago. Probably 9 speed. Mountain triple crank I think and that shifter would not work with that front derailleur. Too long ago to recall what I was trying to accomplish but I do remember that those shifters and that front derailleur were not compatible. Newer 10 speed? No idea but likely not cross compatible. Pretty sure that at one time all Shimano front shifters were double or triple.

mtbr member
    Hi Shiggy,
    I think I've seen similar posts of yours in the past, stating you've successfully run what I'm attempting.
    After your suggestion I'm thinking Ultegra 6703 (3 speed) shifters with my XTR 2 speed crank (40/28). I have a bead on the shifters now, but can you suggest a front derailleur?
    Brand, road or MTB and the model number you've had success with if possible.
    It would be much appreciated and thank-you.
    Adam

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Hi Shiggy,
    I think I've seen similar posts of yours in the past, stating you've successfully run what I'm attempting.
    After your suggestion I'm thinking Ultegra 6703 (3 speed) shifters with my XTR 2 speed crank (40/28). I have a bead on the shifters now, but can you suggest a front derailleur?
    Brand, road or MTB and the model number you've had success with if possible.
    It would be much appreciated and thank-you.
    Adam
    Most of my FDs are old and I just look for one that works with my frame. If I can run a bottom pull I will get a road version.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Go Di2 and it won't be a problem. Use road shifters with their MTB derailleurs because you're just pushing a button, not pulling cables. Problem solved. Plus as an added bonus you get the shadow plus feature on the new XTR Di2 rear derailleur and can go 1x up front without a chain keeper if using a Wolftooth or similar NW chainring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ... I'm thinking Ultegra 6703 (3 speed) shifters with my XTR 2 speed crank (40/28). I have a bead on the shifters now, but can you suggest a front derailleur?...
    I'm using XTR 40/28 cranks and find that the Shimano 105 shifters and FD that came on the bike ('14 Crux Sport 105) work fine. Just lowered the direct-mount bottom-pull FD as far down as possible. Also swapped the rear cassette for an 11-32 and the standard 105 RD for a long-cage GS model. Shifting is smooth, and the wide range of gears is nice for long, steep climbs!

mtbr member
    Thanks Levity,
    And thanks everyone else. Levity this is exactly what I needed.
    Adam