mtbr member

Sealant in tubular tires?

Do you run sealant in your tubular tires? I have challenge grifo tires and was thinking about putting stans in them just in case. Any cons to this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I run sealant in mine. Only negative is the weight but I could care less. The extra protection is worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Only negative is the weight but I could care less.
    I inject 20-30ml Caffe Latex per tire (FMB) and for me, the only negative is that the sealant tends to coat the inner bore of the valve extender and occasionally clogs the valve core. While researching tubeless, I saw an installation video that had a tip about applying a drop of lube to the valve core before re-installing which should help prevent clogging.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Nope, not as a preventative measure. Once it dries there is no removing it. But I run Tufo Flexus Primus tires and the tread is pretty well protected from puncture.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yep, I run Tufo Flexus Primus and got a puncture on the front. The Stans plugged and saved the tire. Only negatives so far is plugging at the valve and maybe the weight. Better than having to to swap wheels/bike during a race.