mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rules Question - Feeding

I realize that the CX rules bar "feeding" from most races- but exactly what does that entail?

Can I wear a camelback or carry a waterbottle in my jersey pocket if there is no feeding allowed?

Thanks
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

hispanic mechanic

Rules Question - Feeding

You can eat or drink anything you want to carry with you.
    Feed restrictions are limited to hand ups.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've ridden with a runner's fuel bottle and a gel in my pocket but found that even a slow moving backmarker like me rarely has enough time and space to actually drink or eat.
    For reference the UCI rules on feeding are weather based and it's worth checking local rules.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

hispanic mechanic

Rules Question - Feeding

Also, certain officials frown upon beer/bacon/donut/tequila/whipped cream hand ups. But that won't stop me from taking 'em...

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks,
    Question was more about my kid who races and like to wear a camelback- what can I say he is a mountain biker.
    The last race there was doughnut feeding for the kids race and Rainier Beer for the adult categorys.
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There's often beer handups at our races. I think you can carry as much extra stuff as you want, most guys figure they can do sub-hour race without eating or drinking during. I usually drink most of a bottle in the 90min before a race, and I'm always very thirsty at the end, -my wife carrying the family backpack usually wanders off somewhere hard to find, so I leave a bottle at the team tent and head there after warm-down.
    I think the biggest reason racers don't carry a bottle or wear a camelback is that it would get in the way while shouldering the bike. Back in the early 90s when I was racing 'open class' (mtb on a cx course) I'd carry a small bottle and take a drink here and there, but the cage does get bent when shouldering the bike, I imaging a pack could snag on the bike. You should be able to suffer through a < hour race without a drink, especially if you're hydrated beforehand.

hispanic mechanic

Rules Question - Feeding

Quote Originally Posted by tekkamaki View Post
    Thanks,
    Question was more about my kid who races and like to wear a camelback- what can I say he is a mountain biker.
    The last race there was doughnut feeding for the kids race and Rainier Beer for the adult categorys.
    How old is your kid? If they're over about 12 years old, there might be some Camelbak heckling. Just sayin'. I may or may not have heckled people for racing with a hydration pack before.
    Beer hand ups are great, but a couple of weeks ago there were chocolate-covered bacon hand ups. Chocolate. Covered. Bacon.

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Kids races are typically short, my son is 9 and his race lasts about 15-20min. He has a bottle in the cage on his bike, he pushes and doesn't shoulder it yet. I haven't brought up the idea of removing the bottle for racing yet, we'll do that when he's a little older, I'm just happy he's enjoying racing at this point.
    If you kid is older, explain how all the high school xc runners do their 15-25 minute race without food or drink. If you don't have a team tent, just leave the drink bottle somewhere near the start/finish, it will be there when he finishes.