mtbr member

Roval MTB wheels on CX bike?

Curious if Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels would work on 2013 Foundry Auger. Thinking they maybe to wide at 27mm for CX tire?! 99 percent of the time the wheels are used for XC applications.

Did I catch a niner?
    I'm guessing the internal width is around 19mm? If so that is fine for CX, there are people using Crest rims which are around ~21mm internal width.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    http://www.activejunky.com/invite/90161/travis-boss

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You might have a problem with the front hub. Specialized uses some big end caps on those wheels to stiffen up the interface with the fork because they use a quick release. When I tried to put my Rovals on my cross bike, the diameter of those end caps wouldn't fit with the shape of my fork. But, my cross bike isn't an Auger, so.....

As far as width goes on a cx tire- don't worry about it. If it was a skinny road tire (25mm or less, then you might have an issue. With a 32- 35mm tire, no problems. In fact I like using my crests with cross tires. I put on a set of Clement LAS yesterday on my Crests for off road cross bike fun and they measured 38mm I was very happy!

mtbr member

What is the rear spacing of the Roval?

mtbr member

mtbr member

Shouldn't be a problem then. I have run crests and American classic race wheels with no issues (both are pretty wide).

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys! Even with a rim width of 27mm external I should be fine?!

Did I catch a niner?
    Yeah it's fine. I have setup my flows for fun on my cross bike and there is nothing to worry about. It can actually give a nicer ride with that wide of a rim and really balloon up that tire.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    http://www.activejunky.com/invite/90161/travis-boss

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    far as width goes on a cx tire- don't worry about it. If it was a skinny road tire (25mm or less, then you might have an issue. With a 32- 35mm tire, no problems. In fact I like using my crests with cross tires.

wretch

I'm running carbon roval traverses laced to king MTB hubs - only thing to be wary of is what pressure you run - you can run into some tire / rim / pressure combos that lead to blown beads.

I was running challenge grifo 33's at just under 80psi on the road and then dropping pressure for the dirt but had 4 consistent blow offs. After a lot of deliberation and digging it was basically too high of pressure for that volume of tire on that rim. I can run 28c's at 90 - 100 no problem.