mtbr member
    Nov 2009

roval control wheelset for cx use

instead of trying to get something cheaper and piece it together I ended up buying a complete ridley x fire 105. I can live with most of the components except for the wheels. they are straight up tanks. I am guessing in the 2200g range. I have a extra set of roval control wheels that come on the epic. they are 1750g and can be run tubeless. will the grifo 32 pro tires on my bike mount on my roval wheels tubeless or am I dreaming? what if I get one of specialized 2 bliss cx specific tires? would that work on my wheels without much fuss? what I don't want is a tubeless wheelset that I don't trust and could burb air at any second. so if my roval wheels won't work I will probably just run tubes.

thanks,
    adam

connisseur
    I have a set of the Roval control wheels on my hardtail and love em, they have been every bit as reliable as other rims like Stans as far as tubeless setup goes. As far as mounting 32's I don't know they do have a fairly wide inner rim width, I run 2.3-2.4's on mine. I was considering trying these wheels on my cross bike with 40c Smart Sams, not sure if your frame will accept wider tires but I feel my 40's would work fine on the rims. One thing to consider is whether or not your 32 tires will work tubeless, may not hold air well, the 40 Smart Sams work well tubeless but need new sealant regularly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a set of Roval controls that are my main cross wheels. I have 34c Specialized Captain cross tires on there and so far have had zero issues. I have mounted 32's on there before as well. It gives the tire a nice wide footprint and virtually eliminates any worry of the tire folding over the edge of the rim with low pressures. I've had good success with Specialized rims holding tubeless (even when the tires aren't necessarily tubeless ready)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for the replies. a 40c tire would probably fit on the front. I tried to just shove my mtb wheel that already had a 2.1 maxxis ignitor on it and the wheel fit in and bolted down but it just rubbed a little bit since the tire was so big. i was pretty surprised as i didn't think i was going to be able to get the wheel into the dropouts in the first place with a tire that big.

which specialized tire is the more aggressive one? i have heard that i think the tracer runs pretty small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I love the terra pro specialized tire for wet grass or light mud. rolls really well and is super light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    I love the terra pro specialized tire for wet grass or light mud. rolls really well and is super light.
    I have read a couple good reviews on that tire. the one thing that is a bummer is that they said the tire is undersized for what it should be. and they don't offer a larger version. I would like to get something in the 38c size for the front.

also out of curiousity how common are pinch flats when running tubes for cross. assuming that you have figured out what pressure to run.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Tubeless is the way to go! I ran a size 34 Specialized Captain CX 2BR last year with zero issues. Right now it's mounted on an American Classic 29 Tubeless wheel set. Specialized 2BR CX tires mount up easily tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It is a bit small, but grip is great and it is really supple.

I've run high 20's in psi without pinch flats, but I am pretty light (155). Cross in my area is mostly grass too, so nothing to hit.