mtbr member
    Nov 2011

rookie, help choose bike

hello, I've been on a long search for a roadish bike but decided to go with a CX bike, found couple bikes i like just don't know how much difference components are worth..?

1. airborne delta with sram apex, bike is used but still in the box, owner never assembled it (not on Bluebook) $700

http://www.cxmagazine.com/airborne-u...e-at-sea-otter

2.norco A3 2014 , used shimano 105 $750

Threshold Alloy Cyclocross Road Bikes Norco Bicycles

3. diamondback steilacoom $1k brand new shimano 105

Diamondback Steilacoom RCX Disc CX Bike 2014 | Diamondback | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

4. focus mares 2012(i think) Shimano ultegra, used $1k

so I'm leaning towards the airborne, cheaper and good entry components, but is the focus mares with utegra worth the extra $300..?

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    well i'd probly buy the airborne. for disc brakes and parts compatibility with my other bikes that are also sram components. so it'd be upgraded as parts wore out/broke. even upgrading the shifters to force and its still under 900.

other than that i'd probly go with the norco. again for the discs, and the 105's work perfectly fine. but i'd swap the rear deraileur and cassette. 36-28 is a little high for climbing for me.

dont see any reason the db is better than the norco ( assuming its in good condition)

personally i dont see the ultegra as worth the money. the minor weight savings isnt worth it to me. the wheels are probably nicer on the mares. and its pretty easy to get a decent set of used road wheels for clinchers for a skinny tire set. again i'd be swapping the rear out for lower gearing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Apex is still pretty damn good stuff (as is 105). Don't sweat the components, get whatever frame is better at your pricepoint.