Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rock & Road Tire Questions

I am working on a new build that I hope to run the Rock & Road tires on. But I have a couple questions about them.

1. Anyone using them with mini-vs? They don't *look* terribly tall but the brake cable is low enough that I worry about space. Looking specifically at the TRP cx9s.

2. Do they require an especially wide rim? I have a set of stans alpha 400s (17mm inner width) and alexrims dc19s (16.3 mm inner width). Hoping to sell one with my old bike, so wondering if I should look for a wider replacement.

Thanks,

Alex
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Using that wide a tire on a narrow rim, you'll lose contact patch and hard cornering will feel all sorts of squishy. From what I've read, these tires come in at 43c wide. Here's an article from pinkbike that covers the importance of wider rims (though, in the context of tubeless).

I run 40c Happy Mediums on 19mm (ID) wide rims and am very pleased with the performance.

Stevil at allhailtheblackmarket runs the R'nR w/ Paul mini-motos.

I'm looking at the Velocity Synergy or A23 to replace the Delgado cross rims I now have.

*note: If I had the tire clearance I'd run the R'nR. The Happy Medium is a good contender if you're short on room at the CS.

mtbr member
    What rims are you running with 19mm internal width? Rim brake 29er? [edit- I'm an idiot didn't see delgado cross there]

It looks like a23s would give me 17.8mm internal width which is a step up but not sure it would be enough. This suggests the delgado is 18.3 Salsa Delgado Cross 700c, 29er rim dimensions | Freespoke so maybe its not too much smaller? I like that I could set up a23s tubeless.

Those black paul brakes sure would be a good fit on this build - but I think I'd probably have to delay getting the tires to swing em. Hmmm...

I found this picture of someone running 28s with fenders and the cx9s that gives me some hope:

We measured a frame with similar chainstay setup and it looked to have about 50mm of clearance. This bike had longer stays but they will be spaced wide at the BB so I'm hopeful I can get most of that. Just need to figure out brakes

mtbr member
    If I can sell the stans wheels with the old bike maybe these would be an option: HED Cycling Ardennes*PLUScl

I've ridden the non-plus model SL's on a rented road bike and they were terrific. Always wondered how such a wide rim would fare on a cross bike (assume the answer is amazingly well) and the fact that they're tubeless ready is a huge plus.

mtbr member
    This seems to suggest 40+ is easily doable on a23s

Velocity A23 rim and max tire width

mtbr member
    pulled the trigger on an a23 wheelset and a set of tires. I missed out on a really good deal on the wheels but still found them cheap enough at biketiresdirect that if they don't work I can include with my old bike when/if I sell it, or sell on their own without taking too big a loss. I'll report back how they work rogbie

Gonna try my luck with the cx9's too (pauls are just too spendy but arm length looks similar enough to give me some confidence)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think you will be fine with cx9. Shorter arms than that I would not be sure, but 85mm would work if I had to guess. I am using 95mm arms and they clear 2.1" tires if you want an example, and there is a lot of clearance with 1.6" tires.

mtbr member

Re: Rock & Road Tire Questions

Great info thanks everyone. I'll come back to spread rep once I'm back to a computer, and post some pictures once I get set up for reference

mtbr member
    Good luck. I'll probably get a rim of each, the a23 and synergy. I really like the box rim profile of the synergy, and the erd is nearly the same as the delgado.

As for brakes, I like cantis. So, my advice won't be any help to you.

Keep an eye on the ebay for used paul stuff. It comes up occasionally.

beer *****es n' bikes
    I just checked and as far as tire width goes, the A23 doesn't really have a limit. If you think about it, it wasn't that long ago that guys were running fat MTB tires on 19mm rims. Now, there is one limit to be mindful of, and that's tire pressure. As the tire gets wider, more force is exerted on the sidewalls of the rim.

What kind of pressure were you going to run?
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    I have trouble imagining a situation where I would want to run these past 50-55 psi.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I have trouble imagining a situation where I would want to run these past 50-55 psi.
    Absolutely no problem, from the data I have it shouldn't be a problem for a ways past that.

mtbr member

That's good because the tires got here yesterday and they list 50 as minimum recommended pressure

mtbr member
    I run the Happy Mediums anywhere from 35psi-80psi on Delgado Cross rims. I've never had issues with blow-offs or pinch flats.

I'd assume the RnR is as good with their tolerances. They're made by Panaracer.

mtbr member
    Yeah they're rated 50-75, I will probably stay between 45 and 65. Don't see myself needing the ultra-low pressures I run tubeless cross tires at with these wheels, but for extended periods of time on pavement I'm sure going a bit higher would be nice.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Oh just one quick afterthought -- with the tubeless ready A23's, you're going to want to use Velotape or something comparable like Stan's (21mm width) and give it two tight winds. Velox or Veloplugs make tire mounting a fair bit more difficult due to the thickness & rim web design.

mtbr member
    Velocity recommends against using veloplugs on the a23.

edit: didn't see your tag line. You know that already.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Velocity recommends against using veloplugs on the a23.

edit: didn't see your tag line. You know that already.
    No worries! I should have clarified by saying we flat out don't recommend using them on the tubeless ready A23. On the old ones, no problem. I have seen that *some* people seem to get them to work on the newer rims, but I feel like it's about a 50/50 chance, and there's a better solution out there!

mtbr member
    Good to know - how can I tell if the rims are the tubeless ready variant?

I ordered the prebuilt a23 / shimano 6800 wheelset off biketiresdirect if that helps (Wheel Master Shimano Ultegra 6800/Velocity A23 Wheelset at BikeTiresDirect)

mtbr member

Yeah I saw that but they were sold out when I went to order. Between the loyalty points and various discounts BTD is very close in price, and it was really the black 6800 hub I was after (assume the build on these won't last terribly long)

mtbr member
    Got the wheels today - they are the US made A23's which if I understand right are tubeless ready. I don't plan to run them tubeless with these tires until I've spent some time on them but its good to know.

Going to pick up some tape on the way home if I can get there in time, will update with a picture of the front on my jamis fork (with cx 8.4 brakes) if I can make it work.

mtbr member

The tube I had was too short in the stem so I couldn't inflate, and I didn't feel like adjusting the brakes to accommodate the wider rims but hopefully this gives an idea of clearance with the trp cx8.4. Think it'd be comparable to the Pauls linked above.

Rock & Road Tire Questions-uploadfromtaptalk1392080352392.jpg

mtbr member
    Contact Bruce Gordon and see if these tires are tubeless compatible before you try and mount them up that way. Sometimes the sealant doesn't play well with rubber compounds.

Personally, I think tubeless is more of a hassle than it's worth. Between the set-up mess, potential for tire damage, you still have to carry a spare tube for flats. And really, on a tire this size, you can run tubes down around 30psi and not worry about pinch flats; if you're not a ham-fisted rider.

mtbr member

Good point.

I tend to agree about tubeless. I have stans wheels now and I've only found one tire that really works tubeless. Its great for racing but not quite as set and forget as mountain bike tubeless. I plan to use these wheels for long mixed terrain rides where reliability is my main concern.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast