Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I run them on Open Pro's and they're great. Some guys run 2.2's on Open Pros so I'm not worried.

They've been great tires on road, dirt, snow and singletracks.

mtbr member
    Probably should've gone open pros. I think the wide footprint of the a23s might have me getting rid of my Stan's wheels and looking for some HED s or another set of a23s in the long run.

The tires looked so good mounted up, now to survive the waiting game :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just a quick pic from last weekend. Unusually warm here, so no snow on trails for now. Took advantage. These tires shred pavement and dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How is this tire setting it up tubeless? Anybody?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jemlinus View Post
    How is this tire setting it up tubeless? Anybody?
    If you email bruce gordon I'm sure they'd get back to you. I'd be somewhat interested to know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Just a quick pic from last weekend. Unusually warm here, so no snow on trails for now. Took advantage. These tires shred pavement and dirt.
    That is one gorgeous cross check. I love the look of any bike with gumwall tires (especially these) but this one looks special. Hopefully when all is said and done my new ride will look half as good

mtbr member
    I would venture to guess this tire is not compatible with tubeless sealant. From my experience non-tubeless ready tires don't play well with sealants.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    I would venture to guess this tire is not compatible with tubeless sealant. From my experience non-tubeless ready tires don't play well with sealants.
    Nonsense...I've been running old school tires from the nineties...tubeless with no problems...not many tires made now, that I like....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Nonsense...I've been running old school tires from the nineties...tubeless with no problems...not many tires made now, that I like....
    Correlation... something, something... causation.

and pics or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've actually never ran tubeless-ready tires, and have not had issues running tubeless. Not RnR's, but Ardent, various Geax, Purg, Ikon, Rampage, RaRa, and probably a few I'm forgetting. Oh, Knard as well.

mtbr member

running old school tires tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Correlation... something, something... causation.

and pics or it didn't happen.
    Specialized Extreme Controls 26X1.7 on the rear...tubeless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock & Road Tire Questions-dscn3268.jpg  

mtbr member
    Isn't "sealant compatibility" more of a longevity issue than anything else?

Fat low-pressure mountain bike tires are a totally different story though - pretty much any of those are easy to set up tubeless. Cross size tires are a *lot* more finicky IME. I've had problems with tires that don't fit the rim tight enough tearing off in turns, and also had a bead blow out when pumped up to a highish pressure for a road ride. The rock & road wasn't a terribly tight fit, and the bead didn't seem particularly robust so I probably wouldn't risk it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Isn't "sealant compatibility" more of a longevity issue than anything else?
    You are correct. Over time the liquid component of sealant (usually ammonia based) deteriorates the rubber compounds in the tire. This can allow air past the inner casing causing blisters under the tread compound.

Also, tubeless conversions become more difficult with narrower tires and higher pressures. The dangers are what you described: unseating of the tire bead through burping of air or total release of pressure with the tire coming completely off the rim.

Thus, ladljon's point about his experience is Moot(s) in this conversation.

mtbr member
    Got out on the new ride today, this really is one hell of a tire. Rolling resistance felt pretty low on the road considering the size, and it just devoured gravel. Just enough cushioning on chunkier stuff too. a23 feels like a good fit - opens up nicely, and felt more stable than I thought it would at higher speeds (think I was around 50-55 psi).

mtbr member

tubeless

Running Kenda Kross Supreme 700x35 on rear and Surly Knard 700x41 front tubeless on A23's. Was a hassle to get the knard to seal, but with a little vaseline...all is well. running 27-32 lbs in both on dirt,gravel....50-60lbs on pavement....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock & Road Tire Questions-dscn3283.jpg  

Rock & Road Tire Questions-dscn3285.jpg  

mtbr member
    Those green rims are lovely

I'll be interested to hear how the knard holds up - are you using the 120tpi version?

mtbr member
    Those green rims are lovely

I'll be interested to hear how the knard holds up - are you using the 120tpi version?
    It is a 120tpi, running great so far, on dirt,gravel,pavement, and rocky single track. Wanted to try BG R&R, but needed more mud clearance.

mtbr member

Re: Rock & Road Tire Questions

Rode about 50 miles today on them, and it was almost too much tire most of the time. Means I'll have to mix rougher terrain into my rides

Lot of tire to crank up hills too though - bet a tubeless knard is a lot lighter and approximately as capable. Have you run the sidewalls into many rocks yet?

mtbr member
    Rode about 50 miles today on them, and it was almost too much tire most of the time. Means I'll have to mix rougher terrain into my rides

Lot of tire to crank up hills too though - bet a tubeless knard is a lot lighter and approximately as capable. Have you run the sidewalls into many rocks yet?
    They are tough, going to run them thru the rock garden, next week...so far no tears or scars...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    Oh just one quick afterthought -- with the tubeless ready A23's, you're going to want to use Velotape or something comparable like Stan's (21mm width) and give it two tight winds. Velox or Veloplugs make tire mounting a fair bit more difficult due to the thickness & rim web design.
    i just mounted a set of 29x1.75 vee rubber vee 12's tubeless on a23's. So far they seem to be holding 40 psi really really consistently but time will tell. I used two layers of stans yellow 21mm tape because thats what i could find locally on a tuesday night. i would suggest trying the velotape from velocity. Because of the deep center channel, the space between the bead hooks is somewhat narrower than 21mm, so the solid yellow color of the stans tape makes it difficult to center. Then by the time you press the tape down to fill the channel, you dont really find out if its centered or riding up the inside of one of the beads untill its pretty much set. I think the clear-ish blue of the velotape might make it easier to set tape up. That, and i think the velocity valves in the velotape tubeless kit might fit a little better in the a23 channel. just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone know where to source R&Rs in Europe? Saw on the Bruce Gordon website he doesn't offer shipping to Europe...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburtron View Post
    Does anyone know where to source R&Rs in Europe? Saw on the Bruce Gordon website he doesn't offer shipping to Europe...
    I can ship worldwide - just not through our online store. Please send me an email with what you want, quantities and the address - and I will send you a cost for shipping to your country.
    Regards,
    Bruce Gordon
    Bruce Gordon Cycles
    Bruce Gordon Cycles | Hand Made Touring Bikes, Racks & Custom Cantilever Brakes
    Bruce Gordon Cycles - The Unofficial Official Blog

mtbr member
    Rode a hundred miles and change on the r&r today - still a lot to turn up the harder hills but really paid off on the downhill and gravel sections. I was somehow the only person to get a flat, that gave the people on 25c road tires a great laugh ☺

Thanks for making such a cool tire Bruce!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was looking for information on something else and came across this: Black Mountain Cycles: New bike ride notes...

Sounds like he had the rock n roads set up tubeless for about 4 months (as of the last comment) without problems. May try this over the summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wouldn't mind going tubeless, either, but I'd like to switch between FireCross and RnR's, so gotta stay with tubes.

achiever
    I set my R&R's up tubeless on Stans Iron Cross rims. They fit quite tight & sealed incredibly well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2