mtbr member
    May 2012

Ritchey Ti Breakaway Cross

Built-up a Ritchey Breakaway and took the first ride on it today.

I used a Shimano Groupset CX70/Ultegra, Ritchey seat post, bars, stem(ordered after getting the fit to match my road bike so it should arrive early next week and I can cut the steer tube down).

I have nice road and mountain bikes but wanted a bike to travel with and when I saw the Ritchey and spoke to my fitter that had seen a couple decided to go with the cross version since it is versatile enough for road rides as well as gravel and light singletrack.

For now I mounted the Ritchey Speedmax tires on some cheap Mavic rims that came on a road bike I had a few years ago and were sitting in the garage.

My first impressions are very good. The frame felt stiff but the wider tires (use Continental GP4000s on my road bike) soaked up the bumps. I couldn't feel the frame was coupled from the way it rode.

The CX70 crank/CX70 front derailleur combination shifted well and I didn't have any braking shudder/judder with the CX70 brakes (hopefully this stays true).

I'm looking forward to trying it out on some longer rides as well as some gravel roads and smooth single track.

I've had a desire to ride up Haleakula (sp?) on Maui for a few years now but have been nervous about packing my road bike and sending it on an airline. Now I'm looking forward to my first airline trip with the bike...

I live in Phoenix now but I'm from Wisconsin so maybe I can take a trip back to the midwest sometime this summer when it is hot here.

Ritchey Ti Breakaway Cross-img_1575.jpg

mtbr member
    Sharp looking build

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Try some proper off road riding. I have a swisscross an it's ace. Can't imagine how well a ti version might ride

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by even View Post
    Try some proper off road riding. I have a swisscross an it's ace. Can't imagine how well a ti version might ride
    Thanks,

I live in far northern Phoenix so a lot of the trails are pretty rocky.

I do have one singletrack area nearby that is new and doesn't have too many sharp rocks that I plan on trying!