Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Ritchey Swisscross: opinions please....

Hi, posting some pics of my new Swisscross.

As a retrobiker, no need to explain my admiration for Tom Ritchey. When I saw the bike at the Eurobike Show, I fell in love. I do take part in CX races, occasionally, but I got the frame to substitute my road steed, with the added bonus of being able to ride on mixed terrains. What I got is an incrdibly versatile sled, ideal for epic rides on gravel roads, but manageable on singletracks and proper MTB tracks.

Thus, the setup in not for the CX purist: Magura CX brakes, not proper CX stoppers, in that they brake wonderfully (you get 1-finger-braking anywhere), but they pack up with mud quite easily, a wide gearing, with an awesome White Industries 48-32 chainset and finally a 11-34 cogset. The 32-34 ratio come in handy on MTB rides, which I also occasionally have, as I said. The USE suspension seatpost is a plus on epic rides.

As it is, it's the coolest bike I've ever had. In the spring, wth less mud and a new pair of tubular tires, I'll install my "special" wheels, with PMP hubs and Ghisallo wooden rims, much more comfortable and also faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchey Swisscross: opinions please....-p1060686-small-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      

hispanic mechanic
    While not the choices I'd make, it's a beautiful frame, and it sounds as though it fits your needs perfectly. Congrats, and enjoy!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    No doubt, the components are definitely personal...

mtbr member
    The new Ritcheys are so cool I almost want to buy a steel bike again.
    Nice ride. Enjoy it.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    The new Ritcheys are so cool I almost want to buy a steel bike again.
    Nice ride. Enjoy it.
    C'mon... you know you want one!

I saw this frame set at NAHBS in 2011, and was flooded with the memories of watching the video of Thomas Frischknecht racing on one to a silver medal at World's in '97, after competing in the Olympic road race on it!

If wasn't a singlespeeder, I'd probably be riding one.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I love the old Ritchey guys/bikes. I was talking to the Ritchey rep on this site about bringing back the Plexus with XX1. If Ritchey made a Ti. 650B hardtail or even a all black steel 650B like their road bike... hmmm, I might buy one of those.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Oh come on, just strip a p650B and paint it the way you want!

The ride is fantastic, the frame is a little heavy but you can ride MTB tracks without fear! I really want a 650B too!

mtbr member
    No, no, no! I will not give in!

I have to try carbon for my next bike. If it explodes then I'll go back to steel or save my pennies and buy Ti.

mtbr member
    Very good looking bike, congrats!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanx!!!

CS2
    mtbr member
    CX Magazine gave the Swiss Cross fabulous reviews. They said everyone wanted the bike.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Do you have the link?

I've stopped using my MTB since I bought it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This bike would look even hotter with the ritchey wet red Seatpost, Stem and some white bar tape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had thought of that, but I can't renounce the suspension post, and the white tape would turn brown after the first ride. Thinking about a wet red stem, tho....

On my race wheels I have red tubulars, tho (on wooden rims), but crappy pic - also notice the white tape's nice tan after a few muddy rides
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchey Swisscross: opinions please....-sam_0071.jpg  

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by even View Post
    Do you have the link?

I've stopped using my MTB since I bought it!
    Cyclocross Bike Review: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Bicycling Magazine

http://www.cxmagazine.com/ritchey-sw...-frames-return
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    thanx!

Also found this one, which set me thinking about a red stem

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by even View Post
    thanx!

Also found this one, which set me thinking about a red stem

I wish they did a Wet Blue Seatpost and Stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Why, do you have the RoadLogic?

CS2
    mtbr member
    No, but I have a blue bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    hahaha... you'd need the right hue tho .. With a wet red frame and a wet red stem from the same brand I have no excuse....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I own this bike and used it for everything not pavement - fantastic on smooth to moderately technical ST and forested fire roads. However, in the past month, I have broken not one, but two frames, both in identical fashion- rear dérailleur snags, derailler hanger bends horribly and entire rear triangle bends towards drive side. Both times I could Easily bend it all back by hand so I could ride out, but frame is shot. That's $2500 worth of frame gone in 30 days. Been riding for 35 years in every situation we all ride in and have never once had this happen - twice now with this frame. Have toasted numerous rear deraillers over the years, but never had frame go first.
    Little guy, 160 pounds and used to riding light carbon on the road and steel cross of multiple makers offroad......we will see what Ritchey says, but I am skeptical about this frames strength in this area - seems crazy soft and easy to bend.

Also note, the 2nd frame I received had the brake posts mounted so hight that I had to Dremel out both pairs of brakes I tried to fit on it - Avid shorty ultimates. Was told the frame was "within tolerance".......avid hardly and "off brand" or strange design.

Love the ride, sad I don't have confidence in frame:-(

mtbr member
    Just in case you're thinking about getting another steel bike. These things look awesome.

Caletti. Some bikes just look right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingmaddad View Post
    I own this bike and used it for everything not pavement - fantastic on smooth to moderately technical ST and forested fire roads. However, in the past month, I have broken not one, but two frames, both in identical fashion- rear dérailleur snags, derailler hanger bends horribly and entire rear triangle bends towards drive side. Both times I could Easily bend it all back by hand so I could ride out, but frame is shot. That's $2500 worth of frame gone in 30 days. Been riding for 35 years in every situation we all ride in and have never once had this happen - twice now with this frame. Have toasted numerous rear deraillers over the years, but never had frame go first.
    Little guy, 160 pounds and used to riding light carbon on the road and steel cross of multiple makers offroad......we will see what Ritchey says, but I am skeptical about this frames strength in this area - seems crazy soft and easy to bend.

Also note, the 2nd frame I received had the brake posts mounted so hight that I had to Dremel out both pairs of brakes I tried to fit on it - Avid shorty ultimates. Was told the frame was "within tolerance".......avid hardly and "off brand" or strange design.

Love the ride, sad I don't have confidence in frame:-(

Whoah this sounds alarming.... I thought the frame was quite sturdy, at just below 2 kilos, it's supposed to be!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's beautiful

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    love my swiss cross, I did a mix of Ritchey's newer Classic line of parts, an older WCS cross crankset, (the non recalled one) found some Logic canti brakes and topped it with an older Ti WCS saddle and wet red pedals. This pic is with the Zipp 303's . But I ride the dirt daily on WCS Protocol wheels.
    Ritchey Swisscross: opinions please....-img_20120731_113520.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast