CS2
    mtbr member

Rim Brake Wheelset

After doing a search on wheelsets very little available here on rim brake wheelsets. Any suggestions for a good road/mild single track wheelset. I would be willing to spend $500. I have 130mm spacing and I'm about 155 with kit. Right now I'm using some older Chorus hubs with OP rims. They were nice in their day but I'm planning on trying SRAM or Shimano.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    I've had a lot of success with Mavic Ksyrium (model elite and above). The freehub has known to gunk up but it is easily cleaned. Plenty bombproof for me and lots of cross racer-types are starting to unload them as they go disc and move to authentic tubeless rims. I've had excellent success running the Ksyriums tubeless (split tube method to keep the bead on at lower pressures). Frankly, any reasonable quality road wheel will work well on the front. On the rear you might want to be a bit more burly, but I've used a legitimate aluminum road race wheel for thousands of gravel/dirt road miles with a 32c touring or cross tire and have had very little problems. Even wheels I've built -- and I'm no master builder -- have worked well.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I would recommend a wider rim like a Velocity A23 (which I use now) or a Pacenti SL23. They both claim to be tubeless ready. CX tubeless still has a long way to go, but I hope the 35-40mm tubeless tires coming out now will be more reliable. FWIW, I am seriously looking into Challenge open tubular clincher tires with latex tubes. Just because a tire is tubeless doesn't mean it is supple.