mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Recommend me an SSCX that's not a piece of crap but isn't super expensive

is the Fantom Cross UNO any good, or does Motobecane use a bunch of cheap components to cut back on costs?

What about the Felt Breed? Looks like a nice bike. A tad pricey, but ready to roll right from the gate. What do they actually sell for at the bike shops?

Anything cheaper than the Felt Breed but still worthy of racing?

Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you want to save money, for the next month or so, racers are going to be dumping their old rigs. Watch Craig's List, keep your ear to the ground with your racer buddies, etc.

The bike has the usual mostly cheap components (Fantom Cross.) Also, the hub's kind of weird. I think most singlespeed 'cross bikes have the 130mm standard, but could be wrong.

How much experience do you have coming into this? Do you own a road bike that fits you well? Or, better yet, a 'cross bike? Are you on a team that you should be asking about deals first?

Speaking of, some of my teammates got Felt Breeds recently and seem to be stoked on it. The TOU would like me to mention that they got a deal.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    How much experience do you have coming into this? Do you own a road bike that fits you well? Or, better yet, a 'cross bike? Are you on a team that you should be asking about deals first?

Speaking of, some of my teammates got Felt Breeds recently and seem to be stoked on it. The TOU would like me to mention that they got a deal.
    I have a roadie and a couple mtbs, no cross bike. The roadie, a 56cm, fits me well, but I could also ride comfortably on a 54.. I'm probably somewhere in between, so I'm thinking a 54 for a cross bike would be best. And no, no team affiliation.

So how do I get in on this Felt Breed deal?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    All-City Nature Boy.

AZ
    banned
    Last years high end bike, its already been suggested but a one season old bike is usually a value that is hard to match.

SSOD
    I did a tread about this last year I think over on RBR but the three bikes I came down to were
    Swobo Bikes
    BREED - Felt Bicycles
    Singular Cycles - Kite

I think the felt would be a better race bike imo. But for ride quality I would go with the singular, I've heard a lot of good stuff about them and actually looked into building up a ss mtb with their frame.

Gary Fisher made a great sscx frame, the Presidio, but since trek bought them out they cancelled the frame, if you can find a 2009 model I think they were the last ones made stateside.

A lot of good options but if you wait for another month, you'll see a lot of good deals used after the season is over.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    I have a roadie and a couple mtbs, no cross bike. The roadie, a 56cm, fits me well, but I could also ride comfortably on a 54.. I'm probably somewhere in between, so I'm thinking a 54 for a cross bike would be best. And no, no team affiliation.

So how do I get in on this Felt Breed deal?
    You can use the road bike as a reference bike to buy something online. If you think the road bike is a little big for you, go smaller for the 'cross bike. If smaller would be cramped, then don't do it. IMO, 90mm stems on road bikes are fine, but shorter is bad news. Match the reach or effective top tube length.

Most teams have deals with someone, frequently a couple someones. If you compete, you should shop around for a team. For me, having teammates is even more important than getting access to deals on components and bikes. Especially since those deals really just mean that I don't have to find them on the 'net - they're not actually better deals than what everyone already has access to via EBay and discount sites.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    The new 2012 breed is Ill and for 1300 bucks its ready to win races!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Masi Bikes - Cyclocross - CX SS Looks way cool $950 MSRP.
    Last edited by kmancrx; 12-15-2011 at 10:28 AM.

SSlow rider
    I ride an Iro Rob Roy & love it, but the frame has been discontinued. I'd build up an All City Nature Boy or a Masi SSCX if I were to get a SSCX today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Raleigh Furley looks very promising. Steel, disc brakes, threes company reference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kmancrx View Post
    Masi Bikes - Cyclocross - CX SS Looks way cool $950 MSRP.
    that looks nice!

jrm
    mtbr member

The Swobo Crosby

isnt going to be produced any longer due to lack luster sales. i have one and i like the geometry and handling. BUT the sliding dropouts are rubbish, the tire clearance lacks and it lacks a set of top tube cable stops to run a FD set up.

Hey have you seen the 1k Kona Major one? Man that Felt is nnniiiicccceeee

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I will definitely be looking at the Masi and the Felt in the Spring when I'm ready to buy.

Dead Legs
    I use a white ind eno, on a carbon Blue.... any bike goes SS with white ind.... and the hub can be changed to "non eccentric" when you want..

Just FYI
    Something Has to be rigid between my legs... so it's my bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I bought an All City Nature Boy a few months ago. If I had to do it all over again I would get the same exact thing.

Build details: wagon wheels racing: All City Nature Boy build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Igleheart!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Traitor Crusade SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gojira73 View Post
    Traitor Crusade SS.
    Yeah, what he said. Just built mine up and will go for the shakedown ride this weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recommend me an SSCX that's not a piece of crap but isn't super expensive-007.jpg  

Recommend me an SSCX that's not a piece of crap but isn't super expensive-008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mmmhmm, I've got my eye on a Traitor...

Human Test Subject
    Motobecane's issues aren't the components, it's the cheap frame. I know of a guy who keeps buying them after 3 broken frames.