mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Recommend me some new wheels please

Hello, I've just bought myself a 2014 crux expert. It comes with axis 2.0 standard, but they are very heavy. This is my first cross bike and I'm already looking for some new wheels to get the weight down.

Could anyone recommend me some training/race wheels. I'm 6.2 and 220pounds. Maybe not carbon because my pockets aren't that deep

Thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Do you have the disc brake version? or Canti?

If disc...check out the wheels from Stans NoTubes. I hear good things about their IronCross wheels. Any of their house built mountain wheels would work (except maybe the Flow). I ran their crest rims on my cross bike for a while with good success. Arch EX may be a good option for you. I like running a mountain rim for cross because it supports the tire really well.

If canti...look into the Hed Belgium wheels. I think they make a couple factory built options, but best bet may be to talk to your local bike shop and have them build you a set. When I worked at a shop, I built a bunch of these rims up for people.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Tubular, clincher, or tubeless?

In general, I think the way to go for "sensibly light" for someone who's heavier and can maybe put some power down is a conventional wheel design made out of reasonably light components. Which is to say that spokes don't weigh much, don't contribute much to the moment of inertia of a wheel, and make it a lot stronger.

I'd do a 32-spoke 3-cross build. Rims... I think there's a lot to be said for going wider conceptually, but never cared enough to spend the money to try it. That would be a lot of 29er race rims. Velocity has a pretty wide selection of road rims, though they're not all light by any stretch. I'm also fond of Mavic and DT loose rims.

For spokes, go for the narrower-gauge round-section double-butted ones. I've typically built with DT, mostly because I've typically bought locally and that's what was available. Can't remember if Champions or Competitions are the butted ones. But that.

Hubs are actually not that big a deal. IMHO, only Shimano still does a decent cup and cone hub. So if you choose another hub, make it a sealed bearing hub. Check that the freehub is available as a spare part, they sometimes break.

If you do tubes, spend the extra dollar on light ones. Some of the cheapest and most relevant weight savings going.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jrm
    mtbr member
    A23 rims 3x to some nice MTB hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Are you racing this fall?, have you raced before? (and what category?). Point being if you're new and doing c5 don't worry about wheels too much, just learn and have fun. Maybe upgrade the tires and tubes if those are heavy? I've got an older sworks tricross, with 21.5mm outer width Rovals, tubes, and CaptainCXpros, I beat plenty of guys with fancy carbon wheels. I should probably weigh my wheels sometime, I doubt they're super light.
    I'm not sure I've ever broken a DT spoke, I've had trouble with plenty others over the years, given a choice I'd pick DT every time.

ybbeaten
    HED makes a stallion build in the Ardennes line that is pretty stiff and a killer wheel. Clincher though with canti.
    Ride to work and work to ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the reply guys. I should have mentioned earlier that I have the disc version of the crux. As for racing, Ive never raced cross before but I have been racing MTB for a while so im not too sure if the fitness and skill would be the same.

I was thinking a stans rim, but ive got to find an 11 speed hub which is going to be the problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Unfortunately you're right...not a whole lot of 11 speed disc brake hubs out right now. I know a friend who just got the new Chris King R45 disc hubs. They're not cheap, but they'll last forever and they fit your needs right now.