Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Recommend a disc brake cross bike for road/fire road

My bike experience has been restricted to mountain bikes only for as long as I've ridden. Recently, with the addition of child #2, my ability to get out for trail rides has dwindled. In trying to think of other ways to get out on a bike and log miles, I've thought of a few options.

I got a trainer and a new rear wheel setup for my 29er. After 3 trainer rides, I quickly learned why there are always so many gently used trainers for sale on CL and local forums! Boring!!

I've always stayed away from road riding. My wife works in a hospital ad sees lots of folks with head injuries, plus I've had some friends who've had some bad wrecks. That said, I have become more interested in getting out on the road as a way to get out on a bike more regularly.

Rather than get a true road bike, I'm leaning towards a cross or gravel road rider so that I can use it for a number of purposes - road riding (perhaps with a dedicated second wheel set), fire road/double track riding, some commuting and indoor trainer use. As my experience with Mtb disc brakes has been good, I'm most interested in a cx bike that has discs as well.

I'm not looking for the highest end bike and would prefer to stay under $2k. I am looking at the Salsa Warbird and Kona Rove in the gravel rd bike department, but would love recommendations for other options. Lower price is always appreciated!

mtbr member

...any thoughts or experience with this Airborne bike:

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/cate...ocross-cx.aspx

Reviews online seem to be mixed but overall favorable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well, I would go with a Kona Kahuna Dl instead of a Cyclocross bike. Unless you want the drop bars, no front suspension fork, etc..

You also would be getting a 2x10 front setup.

Wait -- scratch this - I just reread your post and you already have a 29er.... OOPS.

Why not just make a second wheelset for the 29er - unless its too much bike for gravel, etc. I have a 29 hardtail that I put a set of GEAX Evolution tires on for dirt roads and the like, and they do really well on asphalt as well. Also made up a second tubeless wheelset for real trail riding.

mtbr member

Yeah, I've got a couple of 29ers (geared ht, ss rigid and a geared fat front) with a carbon fs on the way.

I am most interested in the road aspect , but thought I could get the most use out of a cx or gravel road bike rather than committing fully to a true road bike. As it stands, the gravel riding is a minor part of my riding overall and my geared 29er serves well for this. That said, I do want to try something with drop bars and a more "road" style geometry and ride.

mtbr member
    Lots of great disc brake cx choices under $2k. Check out Jamis, Kona, Civilian, and even Trek.
    Signature

mtbr member

Will do.

I put the 2k max in my original post so I didn't get a ton of responses tellingly my budget was too low! Realistically, if I could find something at or under a grand I would be happiest!

mtbr member
    If looking towards the lower end of the budget check out Civilian and Trek for the best bang for your buck.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Or also check out Origin8. They have a very affordable steel CX disc frame with TONS of tire clearance. If you are thrifty you could likely get one built within your budget.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    What an attractive bike, what's the price tag on one?
    Hammerheadbikes.com

conjoinicorned
    do a serious favour to yourself, and take a look at a singular peregrine. disc brakes, tire clearance up to 2.1 29er, EBB for gearing options. here's mine a year ago, i've had it geared, fixed, SS with everything from 25c slicks to 2.1 29er knobbies...flat bar, drop bars, road bars... i adore this bike

Name:  279834.jpg
Views: 3821
Size:  79.5 KB
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm saving up for an All City Macho Man Disc. They aren't out yet, but will start shipping this summer. I'm actually between this and a Salsa Vaya, but the Macho Man feels much more nimble than the Vaya, which would be my choice if I thought I would do any touring.

All-City Cycles Macho Man Disc

mtbr member
    I've been seriously considering the Redline Metro Classic and the Raleigh Roper/Tripper/Furley (same bikes, just different drive train).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

No, that's not phonetic
    If you aren't in a hurry and are comfortable with buying used, eBay can be a great place to pick up a bike. I just got a Fuji Altamira 1.3, and it's an amazing ride. It took a while for just the right thing to come along though. Specialized Crux disc CX bikes come up reasonably often.

Cyclocross Bike Profile: 2013 Fuji Altamira | Cyclocross Magazine – Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bite Me.
    ^^^Totally agree with this. I spent a couple of weeks bidding on various cross bikes and getting out bid on Cruxes and TriCroses on Ebay, but finally picked up a nice Kelly Knobby X with a solid mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra, nice wheels, in great condition for under $1,000 shipped - OX platinum tube set and ready to ride. It's really tough to get a decent component spec on a good frame for under a couple of grand new.
    I wouldn't make disc brakes a deal killer on any of these used bikes - for CX and gravel grinding, a decent set of calipers is pretty much all you need. Although it is nice to be able to swap your 29er wheels if you want. Me, I'm a little too lazy to do a lot of parts swapping if the bike rides good as is.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    I just spent the past week obsessing over this very thing. I did a **** ton of comparing geometry and specs for a gravel road bike. I wanted something with discs and 135 rear spacing. Finding disc wheel sets with 130mm spacing is a pain in the butt and there aren't a lot of options for upgrades.

I decided I don't want a true cross bike. The bars are too low and the wheel base is too short for all day comfort on gravel rides. If you want to rip it for an hour or two on gravel then a cross bike is probably perfect. At hour 8 you may wish for higher bars and a longer wheel base. Then again I am almost 40, have a touch of the arthritis and I am 20lbs overweight.

I don"t want a bike with 132.5 spacing because I have my doubts about aligning the discs and calipers when you have to bend the frame a bit each time you put the wheel in or out of the frame and caliper, unless it is a hydro disc brake (and it wont be with brifters) the calipers dont self align. Maybe not a big deal but I'm not in to it. This ruled out the Soma double cross for me, but it looks like a nice frame.

I wanted something relatively light and responsive to use for gravel grinders.
    Frames/bikes I considered.

Kona Rove: I love Kona bikes and the Rove looks awesome, especially for the price. But...nearly 28lbs??? are you shitting me? I might as well ride a geared mountain bike for that weight. There is a Ti frame coming out, but it wont happen under the 2000 dollar budget for a complete.

Salsa Vaya...meh. I know the history is there with this bike but I have heard it is pretty sluggish and is more of a touring frame.

Salsa Fargo..No, this is a drop bar mountain bike for touring. It works great for that. It just feels slow when you stand up and hammer.

Warbird: A bit over budget. I am suspicious about the comfort of the aluminum frame over 8-10 hours. Salsa seems to market this as a bike to win Gravel races on, not to be comfortable and come in middle of the pack. I have not ridden this so I can't say for sure. There is a trade off for fast/light/responsive vs. comfort. If you are doing short rides go for it...after 8 hours on gravel I don't know if this is the right choice for me...But I am never going to win a gravel race.

Genesis croix de fer...looks cool, I can't find a USA distributor.

Singular Peregrine....Heavy as ****. 28.3lbs in this set up Singular Peregrine Review - BikeRadar

Specialized tricross STEEL: looks nice, but what is "specialized premium steel"? probably 4130..but who knows, not probably worth the 1650 dollars for tiagra.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Charge filter apex...looks A'ight. I emailed charge and they said about 24lbs for the medium. price is good, spec is decent. If I could try one out I would be really tempted.
    2013 Charge Filter SRAM Apex Cyclocross Bike - Specialty Bikes

Kona Jake (DISC)- only available as a complete bike...If it were a frame set with an uncut steerer tube I would might have bought this. about $1100,
    KONAWORLD

Fuji cross 1.3....looks okay.
    https://www.performancebike.com/bike...92_-1___400784

Redline conquest disc...looks nice, the geometry is a bit too race-y for my needs

All city Macho man disc looks nice, not out yet, but soon. I weigh 190 so I am leary of thin steel tube bikes. I like a stiff BB and don"t want to feel to much flex. If I was 150lb I would probably get this or something similar.

So I want something light, stiff in the right places and yet comfortable...Pretty much trying to find the impossible...I went with a Specialized tricross from last year on sale:
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    I may switch out the fork to a carbon fork, I need to get some miles on it. I am curious about the aluminum fork. If you can wait a week or so I will update.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    What an attractive bike, what's the price tag on one?
    I think the frames are under $1000. When they were up on Kickstarter I think they were about $600. I missed that, and started kicking myself.

mtbr member
    I have the raleigh furly which is the ss steel with discs. for a geared this looks interesting at $1500
    Raleigh Bicycles RX 2.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Macho Man...

All city Macho man disc looks nice, not out yet, but soon. I weigh 190 so I am leary of thin steel tube bikes. I like a stiff BB and don"t want to feel to much flex. If I was 150lb I would probably get this or something similar.

For what it is worth, I weigh about 180 and was able to ride a standard Macho Man and a Vaya back to back. The Macho Man definitely has the great steel ride. There may be some flex, but that is what makes steel comfy. The ride was pretty similar to my steel True Temper OX Burly road bike. The steel fork definitely gave some shudder though. The MM Disc is supposedly beefed up to meet the demands of disc brakes.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Forgot to mention Airborne Delta looks like it is being fazed out.

From Airbornes web site ~"All we have left are a few 53cm Deltas. We are blowing them out at $749 including shipping (freight is free for orders in the Continental USA only). If you want a Delta, and you ride a 53cm, this is the last time you can get one. When we are out we aren't making any more. Act fast! "
    Airborne Bicycles. Delta

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Lots of great disc brake cx choices under $2k. Check out Jamis, Kona, Civilian, and even Trek.
    The Trek has it's own thread right here.

Trek CrossRip Elite
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Warbird! I have the Ti. The geo is amazing for speed on gravel. Very stable. The lower BB really helps. It makes it more road bike ish and keeps your weight lower. The tall head tube gets your bars up a bit to enhance your stability. The flat top tube allows the easy addition of a frame bag and big bottles. Go ride one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Warbird 2 (aluminum) here. Due to leg injury I haven't had it out for anything longer than 90minutes yet, but real comfy on pavement (commute) & maintained New England dirt roads with fresh gravel. 21.5# including front dynohub (night riding) but without toys (packs, bottles, gizmos). My previous bike was a 40+# recumbent so its real refreshing to climb on a light bike again...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have the same basic needs, (road and gravel) so I bought a new Trek Crossrip. It does a great job on gravel and is decent on the pavement also. It's a comfortable bike with good geometry. I also plan to do some touring on it as it has the mounts for fenders and racks.

Short-Change-Hero
    So here is a question that I dont think has been posed.... What are your feelings on buying the components and building something yourself? You could possibly pick up a decent frame/fork combo then some used brifters and new components elsewhere then lace your own wheels and probably still be well under $2k.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast