Now older but less slow!

Rear wheel, rebuild or replace?

So riding my cross bike last night my rear wheel goes bang as a spoke breaks and the wheel partially tacos. I was able to continue my ride by disengaging the rear brakes (rim) to accommodate the warp (about 1/2+ inch off true). The rim may be salvageable.

I don't ride my cross bike all that much as I use it as an alternative to my mountain bike for then the trails are closed or just when I feel like getting some distance on multi-use trails and road. I do occasionally take it on some rough single track as well.

The bike is a 2010 Gary Fisher Presidio and the wheels are original. I believe the wheels are Bontrager Race hubs with Bontrager Race rims laced with Wheelset bladed spokes. The wheels are fairly heavy.

So I'm wondering if it is worth getting the wheel rebuilt or to bite the bullet and replace them with new. Ideally I would like something that would allow me to go to a tubeless setup. My one concern is that I am still using rim brakes and I would not want to invest any serious money into a wheelset that was not disk specific. But, with the gradual switch from rim to disk brakes perhaps there are some good CX specific rims on clearance?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Do you plan on switching to disc anytime soon? If not, the market's switch to disc wheels is no reason for you not to build up (or purchase) a good rim-braked wheel.

I was torn about the same, recently. However, I realized that I am going to ride my current CX bike for at least another year. I had a functional non-disc hub already in my butchered wheel, so I just purchased a Velocity A23 rim to match; incidentally, the previous rim had almost the same ERD, so I was able to reuse the spokes (not that most would recommend it, but...).

Since I got the A23 on sale, I was out less than $50, which is a whole lot less than I would have spent had I decided that I needed to upgrade to a rim/disc compatible wheel (my other consideration) in anticipation of a bike that I likely (but not certainly) will purchase down the road. My $0.02

Now older but less slow!

Rear wheel, rebuild or replace?

No plan to go disk anytime soon.

The A23 rims, are they tubeless capable?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The newer (maybe last test or two) version of the a23 is tubeless capable out of the box (ie, just yellow tape, no cavity build-up required). I have the old version, so I haven't messed with tubeless.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect