banned
    Aug 2012

Re-use/Rim Recommendations ?

Ok,
    Here's the story............
    I have an Alan Record Carbonio with a full Dura-Ace 7400 set ... Exception = Campagnolo headset and stem.

Also,
    The hubs are 32 spoke, and currently laced up with Mavic GEL-280's

I bought this years ago, and have obviously out-grown it, weight wise ... Currently hovering around at 230lbs.

My question is,
    If I find a frame that all/most of this will fit on ... What are your rim recommendations, as they relate to daily use and a bit of dirt road travel ?

The current bike is basically this........(Not my bike, just an example)

And weights 17lbs. 2oz.

Frame/Fork and rims will eventually be listed for sale.

Thanks in advance, BA.

ETA:
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 01-05-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Clarification of example picture

mtbr member
    I am not sure if I really understand whet you are trying to do; do you want to transfer thee drivetrain to a new frame?

You might be better off buying a complete, new cyclocross bike, and sell the Alan complete. As cool as the the old Dura-ace is, you will probably appreciate new components. Integrated shifters are a very nice upgrade over downtube shifters, and more gears doesn't hurt, either. Even the Shimano Sora groupo is very nice these days.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Yep, transfer most everything to another frame, and not spend a lot of money.

Kind of really looking for recommendations on a 32 spoke rim that will survive my weight, as I doubt I'd be able to sell the whole bike for what a used frame, and some tires and rims will cost.

hispanic mechanic
    For CX, look into Retroshift levers and reusing your downtube shifters and derailleurs. I really like the Velocity A23 as an affordable, wide, fairly tough CX rim.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

banned
    Aug 2012
    Retroshift levers ... Pretty darn cool !!!!
    A23, pretty good price ... I'll keep it in mind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What makes you think your current wheels arent fit for duty? Those CXP rims are rather stout.

edit: CXP rims are the same design as the previously mentioned Velocities. No point in wasting money on them.
    Hammerheadbikes.com

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    What makes you think your current wheels arent fit for duty? Those CXP rims are rather stout.

edit: CXP rims are the same design as the previously mentioned Velocities. No point in wasting money on them.
    Current rims are 32 spoke Mavic GEL-280's ... I doubt they'd survive my weight for long.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Dad (74 and still kicks my butt on 2 wheels) said sell it, as is, and buy another bike ... Hmmm.

jrm
    mtbr member

Frame spacing?

and some possible hub/shifter compatibility issues? some newer frames wont have the hardware to facilitate older gruppos. If your serious about riding you might be better off just buying an newer bike that fits

hispanic mechanic
    Those are 130mm hubs, so they'll work with most 'cross frames. And if he went with Retroshift levers, there's no fitment issues.
    However, bikeabuser may get more from selling the whole shebang to someone interested in a period piece. Since you'll need to replace rims, shifter/brake levers, and brakes, it may make more sense to listen to your Pop.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Fat-tired Roadie
    +1 sell and start over.

I have a nice '99 LeMond. But it's a little big for me! It took me several years to get a clue about setting up road bikes and ride some that really fit me, so a couple of standards have changed, as they have on your bike - headsets are different, and bottom brackets have gotten a bit weird on high-end frames.

Obviously both of those issues can be surmounted. It might be feasible to do something with an adapter for the headset, although I think finding a headset that goes from 1-1/8" threadless to 1" threaded will be tricky. If that doesn't work out, you need a new fork... and you're into high-dollar land.

The crank would just drop into an English-threaded bottom bracket. If you're doing a lower-end or mid-range frame, that may be no big deal. But with higher-end frames, things are more complicated. When I researched it, I found that I could either permanently install an adapter in my shiny new frame to take my chewed up old three-piece crank or buy a whole new crankset that fit whatever new standard the frame I was considering had. BB30, I think. With a two-piece crank, there are some removable adapters and things are simpler, but there again, you're getting into replacing the crank - expensive.

The downtube shifters are a bit of a problem. sslos mentioned one approach. There are also still a few frames kicking around with old-fashioned downtube bosses. Actually, I really like them - even with STI levers, they provide a great place for a barrel adjuster and cable stop. But, they're less and less common. The retroshift hardware isn't terribly expensive, but it's another expense. STI levers are pretty expensive, aftermarket.

It's mostly in really beautiful shape. I bet you can get a lot more for it, enough to make it worth your while to do, if you rewrap the bars with some nice, new tape.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

banned
    Aug 2012
    Downtube shifters are clamp on, and I'm not looking to buy a new frame ... Craigslist is where I'll find a stouter frame, that is of proper size/threading ... Hoping to spend less than $50 for one.

My main question was about a good rim for a rebuild.

But YEA, Dad's words do kind of make sense.
    I just hate the idea of giving up a great set of components and downgrading, just to have a daily use and a bit of dirt road travel bike.

P.S.
    That picture is just an example of my bike (sorry, should have made that more clear) ... Mine makes that one look like trash.
    Hand sewn leather bar covers etc ... The guy who built it was a top builder in Japan, and really knew his stuff.

jrm
    mtbr member

Dude

If that's the case see whats its worth. Case the market

Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post

P.S.
    That picture is just an example of my bike (sorry, should have made that more clear) ... Mine makes that one look like trash.
    Hand sewn leather bar covers etc ... The guy who built it was a top builder in Japan, and really knew his stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Salsa Delgado cross, Shimano hubs would be a good combo, I've had good luck with CXP 33's on and off road as well.

Bro Mountainbiker
    What size is the frame? Top tube length C-C?

Looks nice
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry, I missed that it was just an example photo. I say sell it as a vintage bike, and buy an entry level CX. You're only down grading in the sense of component name, not component function.
    Hammerheadbikes.com

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    What size is the frame? Top tube length C-C?

Looks nice
    It's on the small side ... 53cm/51cm

Stupid 20yr. old with to much military money.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    Sorry, I missed that it was just an example photo. I say sell it as a vintage bike, and buy an entry level CX. You're only down grading in the sense of component name, not component function.
    Very true !!!