Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hmm... The more I read about gear inches, the more it sounds like the 59 gi that's stock on the Furley is pretty low. Guess I'm just fat. I'd go higher, but don't want to get laughed at either.

Guess maybe my perception of how climbing should be is a bit different too. On my shorter climbs, I go nuts right before the hill to get my cadence up, and then try and stay on top of the gear for the rest of the way.

When I tried that on my first big hill, I burned out pretty quickly. The only feasible way to climb it was to verry s-l-o-w-l-y mash up one revolution at a time. I think I was going about 6 mph.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just ride a gear that comfortable for you and how you ride. Dont worry about what anyone dose! If this is your first single speed its going to take some time to get in the rhythm of it but once you do it is allot of fun.

As far as gears go I have had mine set up from 39x16 to 39x20 depending on what or how I am riding at the time. I also am running 700x25 gatorskins for extended road life so far they are great.

Get out ride and have fun thats what its all about!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the advice.

Tomorrow's my fit, and I do think I'll have them change that stuff out while it's getting a tune-up.

I'm planning on going up to a 19t cog. Not quite as big a jump as going to a 20t, but I'll still get a little more 'climbability'. Plus, the jump (in gear inches) from 18 to 19 is bigger than from 19 to 20, so I think it's a good compromise.

Teen Wolf
    ya dude, just ride whatever works for you. who cares how many gear inches or how it looks. it seems to be that fixie riders are most concerned about how huge their front chainring is. the bigger the better even if it makes riding unbearable.

i swapped the 18 for a 20 about a month ago just to change things up. i will probably change it back after a while because i miss having more top end, but climbing is a bit nicer

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Cool. Perhaps the large chainrings are compensating for something .

Man, I was way suprised at how much more comfortable the fit made me on the bike. They shortened the reach quite a bit for me.

It was actually so much different, that I decided against changing the gearing. I want to see if the change in body position makes me any more efficient.

I did get some slicks though...
    Last edited by Shinkers; 05-22-2014 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Took my Furley on it's first century ride yesterday. Good times.

I'm glad I didn't mess with gearing. Any higher, and the hills would have killed me on the way back. Any lower, and the flats would have killed me on the way back .

The first 40 miles was cake, the last 30 was brutal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    SS Century rides? Cool. I find I get uncomfortable around mile 40 ...but I rarely ride more than 25mi at a time. I think the stock gearing is pretty good for all-purpose riding. I can climb the hill up to my house, which is 8% grade over 1.25mi, without too much cursing (and do it faster than my geared friends).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That is what I'm finding the more I ride this gearing. I keep thinking maybe I'll go up or down a tooth, but then I actually go out and ride and realize it's almost perfect the way that it is.

I love passing all the poser's on their 20 speed carbon dreams with my SS steel bike wearing a spam jersey and with my hairy legs. They have no idea what just hit them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone using this bike for longer tours? I was thinking of doing a multi-dayer this weekend, but haven't loaded it down with that much weight yet.

I'm also kind of wondering how it would do on dirt roads. Think there'd be any fillings left in my teeth?

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I rode mine on a 70 mile gravel ride and still have all my fillings. I was comfortable and would do it again.

As far as loading it down I did a food drive ride last thanksgiving and had a set of arkel samurai panniers loaded down with canned food. They were full to the top. The furley never missed a beat.

I would not be afraid if loading this bike down and touring with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I did load this bike down on Saturday, and took it on a nice little road climb. 4000 ft. over 30 miles. I did have to stop 3 times on the way up to let the knees cool down a bit, but I averaged around 8 mph on the way up.

I had some extra gear packed for this ride that I really didn't need, but I was testing out my new bag (with panniers) and wanted to see how I handled the weight. Now I know I'm ready for an overnighter.

Next up will be this same climb incorporated into said overnighter for a 120 mile, 6000 ft. weekend.

Coming down I hit 42 mph. Not bad for a SS geared as low as it is I think. I could have gone faster too, but reeled it in when I felt my back tire roll on a pebble in a corner (they just chip-sealed it). My goal the next time I'm up there is 50+.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello new to forum. I am looking at getting a tripper since my old diamond back alludes in pieces and bridgestone mb5 is little worn. I am getting neck surgery through va. I am going stir crazy but can ride bike. The tripper seams the best bike for the money and looks the best. Question I have is their any suggestions to get a higher bar ends for a better secondary upright position. And if so what would the brand be. Or is there another bike to look at rather diamondback or raleigh is a must because uncle has a shop and will never go anywhere else. Must be cromoly I can't quite get Into aluminum from past experiences where it felt like I was getting hit in spine,when on seat with smallest bumps. This was when I was a teenager in the 90s. Also I am 5'8 with 29 inch unseemly. Would the small frame fit best? Thank yous

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello new to ut have
    Last edited by Hdpearson13; 07-08-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: double post

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm kind of curious about converting my Furley to a dingle speed. Anyone know how complicated this'd be? Or if it'd even be worth it? I'd be looking to add a higher gear for flats and big down hills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I took a pretty good spill and jacked up my stock front brake caliper and I've decided to upgrade to the avid bb7's on both ends, but I've got a couple questions.

Is the furley compatible with the 180mm rotors? If they will work, are they worth the extra cost over the 160mm version?

I know this is a popular upgrade and I hope I didn't miss the obvious answer in the thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WMegginson View Post
    I took a pretty good spill and jacked up my stock front brake caliper and I've decided to upgrade to the avid bb7's on both ends, but I've got a couple questions.

Is the furley compatible with the 180mm rotors? If they will work, are they worth the extra cost over the 160mm version?

I know this is a popular upgrade and I hope I didn't miss the obvious answer in the thread.
    I called Raleigh about this very question since some forks have a max rotor size and I didn't want to surpass the specs. They didn't have an answer either way, so I just went ahead and sized up on the fork. There's room for 180mm and possibly 185mm rotors; I have a 180mm on mine and it's definitely improved my braking performance.

I don't know if a 180mm will fit on the rear, but I can easily lock the back wheel with a 160mm so I haven't investigated further.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks tychoseven! The more I think about it, I'll probably just upgrade the front for now. Even with the stock brakes I have no problems locking up the rear.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone having problems with the stock wheels? I had 2 nipples brake on the rear wheel now. All of the riding I have been doing is pulling my daughter around in the chariot trailer. Might be a good reason to get new wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    No but chariot is often behind its a burley with a hitch connected by thru axle on Burke side. I have some stans team wheel so I can get rid of 3 speed and go ten with shadow zee rd.Has anyone got away with 700x40 on rear. Putting clement explorer Mso with 120 tpi.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7