Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bump. Anyone else got any input on whether or not I'm on the right track with this BB?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's what my BB looks like too; I'm pretty sure it's normal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, I have one more question. Have any of you guys rust proofed your frames? I've heard both sides and am trying to decide if I should do anything with mine. I'm a fair-weather rider, but you never know if you'll get caught in a summer thunder storm or ride on a wet road. I do not want to take the bike apart (don't have the tools, or the ability), and had initially planned on not doing anything, but I've got a couple of small chips in the paint around my BB and the spoke holder on the chain stay.

Anyways, just wondering what you guys did (if anything).

Thanks!

Teen Wolf
    Yo furley owners... I'm thinking about putting a standard MTB flat bar on my furley. Would a standard mtb brake lever (avid speed dials probably) work ok with the stock disc brakes? Or would i need a different lever or different brake all together?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, so to prove to you guys that I'm not a whining liar, here's a couple pics of my very own Furley.

Yesterday it was finally not raining, so I got to take it out for its virgin ride.

Yessir, I think she'll do just fine. This thing feels like a tank. Yeah, it's heavy, but I actually like the feel of throwing the weight around a bit, it's hard to explain. Coming from riding an aluminum Giant Defy 1, this thing gives the impression of "mowing" down the road under the tires. The 35c tires are a god-send when it comes to chip-seal and cracks in the road. I don't know if it's the tires, or the steel frame, or both, but the bike feels very smooth.

I was genuinely suprised with how much I liked the stock gearing. I thought for sure I'd be dropping down to 16 teeth in the back, but for general riding around with a bit of up and down, the 18 is doing me just fine. I can comfortably cruise at 18-19 mph, and climbing isn't a total killer.

After some adjustment, the brakes aren't as horrendous as I had anticipated either. Sure, they're not the greatest out there, but they stop the bike, and don't rub. That's all that I ask. Being a mech. they're easy to adjust which was a massive plus for me. I love mech. disc brakes.

The bars feel just right, and I really like the Tektro levers. They are narrower than STI hoods, which feels very comfortable in my hands.

The only thing that I wasn't totally happy with, was the saddle, but maybe it'll grow on me. If not, I'll get a different

The main reason I bought this bike, was for durability, and my ability to actually wrench on it. This bike feels very solid and the setup is more in line with my abilities, I'm not afraid to work on it and upgrade down the road.

Anyways, as a do-everything bike, I think it fits the bill nicely.

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-sam_0508_zpsc54861a5.jpg

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-sam_0511_zps18a0184e.jpg

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-sam_0512_zps6f5de640.jpg

Teen Wolf
    i love the blue. looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I think the next thing it needs is a blue Charge Spoon saddle on it. Would match the frame exactly...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Furley owners, thought I'd throw out a heads-up to anyone who is still running the Promax brakes.

I had been messing with the inner pad adjustment, to get enough clearance so the brakes wouldn't rub while turning, or going hard in the paint.

Today, on a quick decent, my rear started making some horrendous noises and vibrating a bit. When I got to the bottom of the hill I checked it out and noticed what the problem was. I had adjusted the inner pad too far outward, and the rotor was partially hitting the actual caliper housing. There's a bit of a bur on the caliper, and my rotor now has a nice little stripe running down the inside of it.

I quickly corrected this (moved pad out, and recentered caliper, and all is well, but they are now noisy. I moved my front inner pad in as well, and it's also noiser than before. Both seem to be functioning just fine now, but cry like a spanked toddler when you really lay on them.

Just a word to the wise, don't be stupid like me and turn that inside pad all the way out.

Not gouged, just a roughish stripe on the inside of the rotor. I'm hoping that now the caliper is adjust correctly, the pads will wear that stripe down a bit at least.

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-pic-02202014-002_zps3e5c4a8e.jpg
    Last edited by Shinkers; 02-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Teen Wolf
    this might be a brake forum question, but i'll try here first...

thinking about putting a flat bar on, and getting some avid speed dial levers. will they work ok with the stock brake calipers? or will there not be enough pull from the speed dials to properly engage them? if the speed dials won't work, can anyone recommend a level that will work on a flat bar?

Teen Wolf
    decided to change things up a bit this year. upgraded the brakes to some bb7's, changed out the bar to a flat carbon (600mm), new shimano brake levers, and some new grips.

i just finished installing the parts, so i have almost no saddle time with the new setup, but my brief shake out ride proved to be fun. i think i will dig the new position for the year. i was never sold on drops, i just never use the drop position much, and since i'm a mountain biker at heart, going to a more "mountain" stance seemed like it would be worth a try. i like the LOOK of drops, but functionally ive always felt ackward on them. we'll see how it pans out in the long run. it would be easy to swap the bars back on and go back to what i had.

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-20140313_210053656_ios.jpgRaleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-20140313_210109348_ios.jpgRaleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-20140313_210145942_ios.jpgRaleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-20140313_210151907_ios.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Looks great! Sleek and minimal, just the way it should.
    The BB7s are worlds better than the stock calipers, you'll love them.

mtbr member
    Whats the fattest rear tire anyone has been able to run so far ?

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Quick question after I ACTUALLY went through the pages of the thread, I see two cables, four levers, are all levers capable of braking? In all grip positions? If so can you please elaborate on the cable splicing process or how your braking system works?
    P.S. like your spring plan ideas with the flat bar
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by proline69 View Post
    Whats the fattest rear tire anyone has been able to run so far ?
    Continental Cross Ride 700 x42c barely fits in the rear. tons of clearence in the front. il try to post pics later tonight
    Last edited by AMPERSAK; 03-24-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: quote missing

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thought I'd add some more of my experience with this bike...

Two weeks ago, I loaded up and went for a Sunday cruise that ended up being 74 miles when I pulled back into my drive way. This bike, while being a bit more aggressive than my Defy, is extremely comfortable to ride. I stopped every 20 miles or so to stretch out and go to the bathroom if needed, but it's a pleasure to sit down and spin. It also feels pretty good to take a 35+lb. loaded bike out and pass 8 different cyclists on their high priced/lightweight bikes while going uphill.

On the ride out I was heading straight into a headwind that was mostly just annoying, but did slow my speed down substanstially, averaging only about 14 mph. Coming home, with the wind at my back I was averaging 19 mph with the stock gearing. Still suprises the hell out of me, as I was convinced I wanted to go smaller in the back. I have no need to, and will actually be going bigger when it's time for a new chain so I can spin up even more hills.

I did switch out the stock brake pads for some Kool-stop pads, and it made a huge difference. I plan to keep running the stock brakes for the rest of the season. Next winter I'll put some Avids on and mess with the gearing a bit. I'm hoping the tires will make it through the season too. I love Schwalbe tires, but these CX pro things are wearing a bit on the quick side, and not the thickest. I'd prefer Marathons.

My frame's got a lot more scratches now, but I think I'm finally past the "it's new, don't f#*@ it up" stage . Now I'm hopping potholes, slamming up hills, and having a blast.

I love this bike.

Teen Wolf
    woooo furley, taken today. 2nd 50 degree day of the year

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-20140330_212806473_ios.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by freaknunu View Post
    Quick question after I ACTUALLY went through the pages of the thread, I see two cables, four levers, are all levers capable of braking? In all grip positions? If so can you please elaborate on the cable splicing process or how your braking system works?
    P.S. like your spring plan ideas with the flat bar
    It's a single cable, but each brake has two levers so you have access to brakes in multiple hand positions. The cable passes through the bar-top levers on its way to the brifters. I've noticed some people despise bartops, but I like them and haven't found they degrade lever feel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anybody running fenders on their Furley? I'm looking for some that'll fit my Marathons at 37mm.

It almost seems a shame that my Furley's become my commuter. First I added gears, then lights, and now I'm looking for fenders. What's next, a rack? I feel like I've betrayed the simplicity of its stock, uncluttered state.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I love my rack, and use it every ride. I carry a trunk bag stocked with food, spares, and enough tools to tear apart a Chevy 350 .

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah, but do you have fenders?

I may end up with a rack at some point. So much for my dream of the minimalist singlespeed! I guess this means I need to get another so I'll have the fun bike, and the business bike.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have planet bike fenders on mine. Not sure what model they are because they came with my furley when I got it. They fit with the stock tires fine bit I did not try anything bigger.

This is a great bike. I just put a set of salsa cow bell 2 bars on and I really like them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If I want to change out the 18 tooth freewheel, is it as simple as just buying another freewheel? The 18 just isn't enough gearing for me, even in SF and Marin. I need a 16t. However, it doesn't look like a normal setup. It looks like some kind of geared conversion kit.

Attachment 883876

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The hub is a 9 speed with a sprocket and spacer kit. So all you need is a different sprocket. If you go with something wider like a surly cog you will also need a different spacer Kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ADV View Post
    The hub is a 9 speed with a sprocket and spacer kit. So all you need is a different sprocket. If you go with something wider like a surly cog you will also need a different spacer Kit.
    Thanks for your input!

Actually, you mean, literally, just a sprocket. No freehub. I get it now.

I ended up going with the Endless Bike Kick Ass cog in 17t. I thought I was going to buy a 16t but then after 3,500 ft of climbing, I thought better of it. I also bought the Fabonacci spacers in gold as the cog is in blue. Should look nice against the baby blue paint of the Furley.

I had a nicer, longer 110cm stem just laying around from a prior project that I threw on which gives me a better reach, and I'll be switching out these road pedals for blue Candy's at the end of the month. Even though I ordered road tires for it, now I think that was a mistake. Loving this thing on the trails. The Schwalbe's even feel pretty nice on the road.

Last edited by The Human G-Nome; 04-11-2014 at 04:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-img_2023.jpg

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a while and it was very helpful and definitely played a part me in purchasing my Furley.

I haven't done too much to it yet, just a surly 16t cog, and plastidip on the parts of the frame and fork that tend to get scratches from locking it up.

I am slowly gathering the parts to convert it to a 1x10 and I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

Thanks again for the information, and happy riding.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast