Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I've got my eye on these bikes as well. Has anyone raced with this bike yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    How much is this new? And how much does it wiegh?
    Also curious about the weight. Haven't been able to find that info anywhere.

Teen Wolf
    have not raced mine yet. still enjoying the hell out of it though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I actually pulled the trigger on a 2013 Furley, size 53. Had it about two months now, and use it for my commute. Currently I've got it set up as a 1x10, but I miss the single and it'll probably go back one day.

Some quick thoughts on the bike:
    • I haven't weighed it, but it's probably about 25lbs in SS form. Not light, but still fun to ride.
    • It's pretty stable in a straight line, but can boogie when you ask it to.
    • The stock Tektro Lyra brakes are OK, but not confidence inspiring. I got a used pair of BB7 roads and changed the front rotor out for a 180mm and now feel much safer.
    • I don't find the Tektro hoods very comfortable. They're narrow and put pressure on the tendons in my palm. The right lever's been swapped out for an Ultegra brifter, and it's far better in comparison.
    • The paint is brittle and easily flakes off around the front and rear dropouts.
    • The 170mm cranks feel short, but I'm hesitant to go longer because I've already gotten pedal strike a couple times.
    • This bike is tons of fun, and I'm not worried about babying it.

So no regrets yet, and I look forward to many excellent miles on this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Another update.
    I read about the Wolfstooth wide-narrow chainrings, which don't need a chain keeper or ring guard. Installed a 36t on the 110 BCD FSA crank. Interestingly, Wolfstooth recommends a 10 spd chain for better shifting. I couldn't feel any difference between the 9 or 10 speed chain. So, it's back to a 1x9. What a fun bike!

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looking to get a set of schwalbe marathons for some gravel and single track riding this spring and summer. Will a 700x40 fit in the rear?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I put 35mm Marathons on my Furley, and there's plenty of room. Those particular tires actually measure 37-622, so I have no doubt a 40mm would fit. I can get a picture up in a bit.

Edit:
    Here's a photo of the rear tire. There's 15mm of clearance vertically, and 10mm clearance on each side of the tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    tychoseven,
    What is the yellow-ish tubing that is spiralling down your seat tube?
    thanks.
    Last edited by bikes4fun; 01-05-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's EL-wire...it wraps around the front triangle. The Furley is my commuter and I wanted to have a bit more visibility from the sides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey all, just picked up a new Furley and loving it so far. After riding with my geared friends I'm looking to make it a 20 speed. I have a question about crankset compatibility. Since the Furley is a PF30 frame, will the Shimano 105 FC-5750 Compact crankset work with the existing bottom bracket that comes on the bike? or do I need to buy a new BB30 with adapter?
    I've been looking into this online and getting mixed info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    @mrsteele: I can't tell you if it'll work or no. I would suggest setting up the bike as a 1x10 first and seeing if that gives you the results you're after. Any reason you're set on a 2x10?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the advice, but i already jumped the gun and ordered all the parts to make it 20 speed (jensonusa has crazy fast shipping in CA). I dropped the bike and parts off at the shop this afternoon and they said the new cranks would fit with the original bottom bracket. I'll post a pic once I get it back on Friday. (is it Friday yet?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey is everyone still liking their Furley? I went into my LBS and put some money down on one just this week to get on ordered in.

I bought a used Giant Defy 1 a couple of months ago, but coming from my unicycling background (for the last few years) I wish I would have gone with a single speed to begin with. Anyways, my LBS recommended a Furley, and when I stumbled onto this thread I decided I needed to get one.

The only thing that sucks is if I'd have known I was gonna end up on a SS I'd have probably gone with a different shoe system than what I have now. I'm using Shimano RT80 touring shoes and A520 pedals that I bought right after I got the Giant. In hindsight, I'd probably have gone with a MTB shoe and M520 pedals, but oh well, I guess they'll work. I'd also have gotten a helmet that'll match my bike . All my ****'s Giant blue and white (not to sound like a complete pansy ).

Anyways, I have no plans to race CX on this bike or gear it (maaaaybe a 1xsomething someday). First thing it's gonna get is a Topeak rack and bag setup, so I can take it to work and carry lunch on longer rides.

How shitty are the Promax brakes? I was gonna get some BB7's right out of the gate until I looked at the price of putting front and back on. So I was thinking if they work okay, I'd just run them into the ground and then replace them (along with the tires).

Anyone riding the stock gearing around on the road? I thought it was a bit low until I tried it on my current bike and actually quite liked it for just cruising around.

Anyways sorry about the long post, just curious how this bike is gonna be.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just get some Koolstop pads for the brakes and they'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Hey is everyone still liking their Furley? I went into my LBS and put some money down on one just this week to get on ordered in.
    Absolutely, yes. I commute to work on mine and it's fun, especially in traffic. My brother has a road bike and my friend a touring bike, and the Furley is in the middle handling-wise. It's more stable than the roadie but nimbler than the tourer.

Anyways, I have no plans to race CX on this bike or gear it (maaaaybe a 1xsomething someday). First thing it's gonna get is a Topeak rack and bag setup, so I can take it to work and carry lunch on longer rides.
    Mine's 1x10 at the moment (see above posts) but honestly I prefer the simplicity of SS.

How shitty are the Promax brakes? I was gonna get some BB7's right out of the gate until I looked at the price of putting front and back on. So I was thinking if they work okay, I'd just run them into the ground and then replace them (along with the tires).
    Can't comment on the Promax, but the Tektros which came on mine were not great. They worked, but I got a deal on some BB7 road calipers and those are definitely superior. I'd just use the stock brakes while you look for a bargain on BB7s.

Anyone riding the stock gearing around on the road? I thought it was a bit low until I tried it on my current bike and actually quite liked it for just cruising around.

Anyways sorry about the long post, just curious how this bike is gonna be.

Thanks.
    I rode the stock gearing for a few weeks before building it up as a 1x10. I live in the South Bay and there are some hills, to say the least, but I could still pull them. I would spin out on flats and downhills pretty quickly, but I think it's a good choice of gearing for most people. Try it SS for a while, I think it'll be fine.

That powder blue color looks great in person, too. I'm almost jealous I didn't get that instead of the orange!

Teen Wolf
    still loving mine. i think i am going to throw a flat bar and some mountain bb7's on it this spring and ride the **** out of it. just feel like changing things up a bit. i'll still hold onto the other bits to convert it back to a drop bar cruiser.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Cool. I'll look for some Koolstop pads when I get it.

The chances of mine ever going to a 1x10 are slim, but it's nice to have the option.

It's funny, I really wanted the orange but there aren't any 2013's left out there. Interested to see how the blue looks in reality.

Anyone know about using A520 pedals on a SS? Seems like I heard somewhere that they can't take the "abuse" of being on a SS (out of seat pedalling hard and stuff).

Thanks folks.

Teen Wolf
    Wow, I really like how the blue looks on the website. I didn't know they changed colors on it. Damn, now i want the blue. Anyone want to trade for my 2012? lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If they'd have had an Orange 2013 in stock, I'd have snapped one up instantly. Orange is my favorite color . However, the blue looks equally schnazzy, and I hope it looks as good as the pics on the website do.

Anyone got thoughts on using the A520's on a SS? (sorry to be persistant)

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts

520s are fine. Make sure you have the right cleats. Shimano makes a cleat that will unclip at various angles, and you probably dont want that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah, I got the regular cleats that only release in one direction. Just making sure the pedal itself wasn't a bad choice . For a split second I considered multi-release cleats but thought better of it.

Furley 'should' be in tomorrow. Hopefully I get the call soon enough I can go and test ride/buy it before I have to go to work and the snow flies (fingers crossed).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Got my Furley today.

Haven't ridden it more than a few laps around the bike shop, so I can't comment on much, but first impressions are good.

The color is pretty awesome. The blue is definitely schnazzy looking. Everyone in the shop was saying what a cool bike it is.

The guy who built the bike up mentioned to me that they were having trouble getting the front brake to stop rubbing, and mentioned it might feel a bit spongy. I didn't notice any rubbing at all, and it didn't feel too spongy to me (not any different then the TRP I have on my unicycle). Either way, the brakes won't be on there forever since that'll be one of the first things I change (still wanna try some Kool stop pads though).

The bike so far seems to ride fine. It's definitely heavy, but when I see the bike, I don't think heavy, I think durable. That's what I want above anything else: Durability. That's why I got a Furley.

Next up is going to be a rear rack and bag, a Cateye, switch over my pedals, then it's play time once the snow stops.

Anyone have any thoughts on applying a frame saver of some sort? I asked the shop guy about it and he said it wouldn't be a bad idea but I'd have to strip the bike down (which I don't really want to do). When I do a Google search though, it seems like there's lot's of info out there saying that frame saver isn't needed, and can actually be more of a hinderance than a help.

This bike looks classy.

One thing that did scare the hell out of me, was while I was test riding, I heard a somewhat loud bang or something come from what I thought was the rear of the bike. It sounded like I might have dropped something out of my pocket and it hit the ground or something. But when I circled back to look, I didn't see anything laying on the ground, and have no idea what the sound was. I can't see anything missing on the bike like it would have fallen off, maybe it was snow falling off the roof of a house? I dunno. It's still trippin' me out a bit.

When I went to check the bike out a minute ago to make sure nothing had fallen off (had forgotten to check at the shop), I did notice that the rack/fender mounts on my right rear seat stay has a couple small nicks in the paint as well as the spoke holder ont he chain stay. Not a big deal, but I wish the shop guy would have been a bit more careful (though I don't know what he would have been doing to nick the pain on rack mounts ).

I also just noticed that the upper bolt on my rear disc caliper was left a bit loose. Enough that I could move the caliper (I noticed because it started rubbing a bit when I spun the back tire). Is this a normal bike thing? I've always cranked my brakes down tight, but cars do have 'floating' calipers.

Finding a bolt like that makes me even more nervous that the sound I heard was something from my bike falling off or something like that. I know mistakes are made, and to my untrained eye, nothing is missing compared with the pictures at the beginning of this thread, but things like that sit in the back of my paranoid mind and slowly nibble their way through my skull.

Word.
    Last edited by Shinkers; 02-06-2014 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey guys, can any of you tell me if this is normal? My BB is off center in the shell (I think that's what it's called) part of the frame. I know it's an eccentric BB, but just want to make sure since it looks a bit differnt.

Thanks!

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-pic-02072014-001_zpsfc5dfa37.jpg

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-pic-02072014-003_zps8823737f.jpg

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-pic-02072014-002_zps77c0caae.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes that is completely normal.

An eccentric BB works by moving in a circle inside of the shell to adjust chain tension

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, I think I'm getting it now. With a regular PF30 BB, the face of the shell would be exposed anyway. With the FSA Eccentric adapter, the [cup?] is off center, and covering a bit of the shell on one side. Is that just for leverage or what, since the hole for the [spindle?] is already off center for adjustment?

I just wish the guy working on the bike wouldn't have chipped the paint as much installing it. Or maybe that's being knit-pickey .

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-sam_0505_zps2c7c9095.jpg
    Last edited by Shinkers; 02-09-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast