Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Most people would probably direct you to Avid BB7 Road brakes. They are most likely the best quality and value for road disc brakes on the market. On my Tripper, I have Shimano disc brakes instead of BB5 (I think those are stock on Furley/Roper?). I would say go with the BB7 Road, cheap, reliable, and good quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    While Im at it I might as well post my Tripper. I know this is a Furley thread but the two are similiar enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-img_2027-800x600-.jpg  

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-img_2008-copy-800x600-.jpg  

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-img_2025-600x800-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    beautiful bike man... love every bit of it. thanks also for the info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Picked up my Raleigh Furley this weekend. Size 57cm. I love the bike a ton and will use it mostly for commuting. I already have a new crank on order as I spin out really quickly.

Put some Gatorskin 35c tires on, switched out the saddle, and took the stripes off the bike as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks awesome aaron! I had no idea you could remove those stripes... I might just do that. Mine is the same size in orange, though. Love it lots and even though it may be freezing, I still ride it everyday. Ride on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I actually bought one of these in November 2011, probably one of the first ones made, because the dropout had been welded a couple of millimeters off, which required either: A) a modification involving a slightly adjusted brake mount for the stock brakes, or B) switching to a flat bar and self-adjusting disc brakes. I have tried both. The flat bar system worked OK but I could tell the switch in geometry wasn't quite what this bike was built for... perhaps I should have extended the stem a little bit or my bars were a smidge too wide. It just didn't feel right... so I adjusted the brake mount. The only thing I wish this bike had was cantilever posts in the rear... I can and probably will eventually replace the existing fork with a much lighter carbon fiber one that has both mounts on it, but I am stuck with a disc brake in the rear... since I am riding this mainly as a commuter, rain and muck is not out of the question, and rain + disc brakes makes a short lifespan for disc brake pads... but I guess I'll have to make do, as disc brakes do have a lot of things going for them as well... Other thing is finding a light set of appropriately spaced wheels that have disc mounts... I guess that will come with time as disc brakes are starting to take off in CX world. As best I can tell, this uses a 130mm rear wheel spacing, and most 29er disc wheels are 135mm (correct me if i am wrong there, since new standards like 12x142 exist now)

Regardless, they really SHOULD have put canti mounts on the rear.

Other than my difficulty of initially setting up the brakes, and the lack of canti mounts, this bike is really a great bike!
    Last edited by machoburrito; 01-26-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: think
    "What Made Milwaukee Famous Has Made a Loser Out of Me"

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by machoburrito View Post
    I actually bought one of these in November 2011, probably one of the first ones made, because the dropout had been welded a couple of millimeters off, which required either: A) a modification involving a slightly adjusted brake mount for the stock brakes, or B) switching to a flat bar and self-adjusting disc brakes. I have tried both. The flat bar system worked OK but I could tell the switch in geometry wasn't quite what this bike was built for... perhaps I should have extended the stem a little bit or my bars were a smidge too wide. It just didn't feel right... so I adjusted the brake mount. The only thing I wish this bike had was cantilever posts in the rear... I can and probably will eventually replace the existing fork with a much lighter carbon fiber one that has both mounts on it, but I am stuck with a disc brake in the rear... since I am riding this mainly as a commuter, rain and muck is not out of the question, and rain + disc brakes makes a short lifespan for disc brake pads... but I guess I'll have to make do, as disc brakes do have a lot of things going for them as well... Other thing is finding a light set of appropriately spaced wheels that have disc mounts... I guess that will come with time as disc brakes are starting to take off in CX world. As best I can tell, this uses a 130mm rear wheel spacing, and most 29er disc wheels are 135mm (correct me if i am wrong there, since new standards like 12x142 exist now)

Regardless, they really SHOULD have put canti mounts on the rear.

Other than my difficulty of initially setting up the brakes, and the lack of canti mounts, this bike is really a great bike!
    interesting take on the build, and much appreciated. i bought mine knowing the discs would be great in crappy weather (which they are), and knowing it was a steel bike. you obviously had some initial build issues that most didn't have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just can't get over how versatile the landlord series is. I could convert my tripper to a drop bar single speed or geared roadie, or fixed gear rig. Heck, I could even cross race it if I wanted. And yes I realize I'm not going to win but I can still have the "cross" experience right? Every time I want to change the tripper though I can bring myself to alter it. There's something about a flat bar three speed that I love riding.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    I just can't get over how versatile the landlord series is. I could convert my tripper to a drop bar single speed or geared roadie, or fixed gear rig. Heck, I could even cross race it if I wanted. And yes I realize I'm not going to win but I can still have the "cross" experience right? Every time I want to change the tripper though I can bring myself to alter it. There's something about a flat bar three speed that I love riding.
    Haven't seen the Tripper in the flesh yet. The Orange Furley is a great looking bike. I wish the Roper came in Orange.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Just figured i'd show the fellow Furly guys how i mounted the front fender around the disc brake. Back was no issue. Planet bike cheapos but the Black hides well from across the room you can barley tell it's got fenders
    Custom bend by my buddy lone ranger nh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-20130313_173055.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Haven't seen the Tripper in the flesh yet. The Orange Furley is a great looking bike. I wish the Roper came in Orange.
    It can come in Orange, as it's the same frame as the Furley, but you'd have to buy the Furley and upgrade the cranks ($130), add shifters ($360), 10 speed cassette ($60), and add derailleurs (~$100)... Total: ~$650

So you're looking at paying about $100 more than the Stock Roper ($1400) to make the Orange Furley ($850) into an Orange Roper ($1500). Maybe sell that Alfine crank and make up the difference?
    "What Made Milwaukee Famous Has Made a Loser Out of Me"

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machoburrito View Post
    It can come in Orange, as it's the same frame as the Furley, but you'd have to buy the Furley and upgrade the cranks ($130), add shifters ($360), 10 speed cassette ($60), and add derailleurs (~$100)... Total: ~$650

So you're looking at paying about $100 more than the Stock Roper ($1400) to make the Orange Furley ($850) into an Orange Roper ($1500). Maybe sell that Alfine crank and make up the difference?
    That's an excellent idea.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How much is this new? And how much does it wiegh?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    While Im at it I might as well post my Tripper. I know this is a Furley thread but the two are similiar enough.
    Classy rig

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am going to check out a used furley tomorrow. If it rides as good as it looks I will scoop it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Just got mine!

Here are some pictures of my new bike before it gets dirty. Took off the second brake levers and changed out the seat. Going to use it for commuting and maybe even a cross race this fall!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-photo-2i.jpg  

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-photoi.jpg  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've been thinking about the Furley since the initial releases back some time ago. Our Raleigh dealer here in the islands missed last year's order date, but finally got ONE in last week. Serendipity - I needed to have a wheel with a couple of broken spokes repaired. That orange paint screamed out across the shop! The SM/MED was a good fit for me and the dealer sweetened the deal by swapping in some street tires for me.
    This one has Tektro Lyra brakes and a PF30 BB.
    First impressions:
    - Brakes need to be bedded in for a week.
    - Really nice color coordination with the matching orange spoke nipples and headset spacer (one orange in a stack of black)
    - The spare spokes and the braze-on spoke holder really appealed to me (see above on why I went to the shop in the first place :-)
    - Handles well, considering the weight of the bike
    - Other posters have mentioned that the bike is heavy. Yup.
    - Rack and fender braze-ons are well positioned. I wish there were racks with legs that are a couple of inches shorter, though, to keep the weight of what ever you're carrying down a little lower.
    The SS was short lived. It now is a 1x9. I kept the 39t Alfine crank/chainring; back is a 11-28.
    Aloha,
    Roger

Teen Wolf
    how are you liking the 1x9? i keep going back and forth with gearing it to see if i like it more that way.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking about an alfine to keep the ss look but gain some top speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    how are you liking the 1x9? i keep going back and forth with gearing it to see if i like it more that way.
    The 1 x 9 works well for my commuting and other around town rides. I was thinking of trying a 11-32, which gives about as much low end range as a road double. There's a hill climb a couple of miles away with a 1700' elevation gain. I don't have enough leg to push the 39-28.
    I was also going to try a road double but I think it gets away from the karma of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Update.
    I picked up a SRAM PF30 BB and a takeoff FSA road compact double crankset from eBay. Wheelset is Mavic Open Sports laced to XT hubs.
    I commuted for a week and did the hill climb last Sunday. It was a good experiment. While I picked up some speed on the descent, I don't really need to go all that fast (BTW, the bike is stable at 30++). The 1x9 with the Alfine crankset, IMO, matches the intent of the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-furley-105-fd-fsa-crank.jpg  

Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-furley-rear-wheel-assembly.jpg  

Last edited by bikes4fun; 07-28-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added photos

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Picked up a 57 cm Saturday! I am just over 6'1", but am all torso, so it's a great fit for me. I also ran 16, so my initial ride was a shorty, but just did 8 miles into work this morning. Went with a 14 t cog for Chicago, and it seems perfect, the standard cog is geared way to low for my flat commuting duties but would be great for trails. Ramps were no problem, but the real test will be the wicked headwinds on the lakefront path. Also, this thing's a beast in the best sense of the word. The landlord/city/sitcom theme expresses the general intent of the bike very well. A do it all CX, but very good at dealing city commuting. Thought I would be making this a geared bike as soon as my budget allowed, but now I am not so sure. Well, winter commuting may change that, but now I am smitten with the single speed setup. Seriously, Chicago's about the best place for a singlespeed or fixie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just to let you guys know, if you want to change out the crank on the SS version, you are going to need a crank with a 119mm axle. I just tried to put a Sram Rival Road crank on the bike and the axle is too small. The Rival axle is 108mm, and there is not enough axle shaft to seat into the non drive side bearings. I really wanted to get rid of the Alfine crank, its so heavy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hey Furley crew! I just purchased a Furley, found one on sale for $660. This is my first CX bike, going to use it mainly for urban commuting though.

Some modifications I've made so far:

- taken off drop bars and replaced with a 20mm riser bar (might put the drops back on, but for commuting it's a bit too aggressive for me)
    - put on a bigger chain ring (39t to 46t), and smaller cog (18t to 15t)
    - ordered some new pedals (Wellgo B124 flats in black)

Thinking about changing the tires to something a bit faster, any recommendations?

Also, I am 6'2 with long legs and got the 57cm frame. To be honest it feels a bit small, but I still need to make some adjustments. The Raleigh website has it spec'd with 172.5 cranks, but mine has the 170mm cranks... again, feels a bit small to me. Has anyone switched to longer cranks?

Will post pics later.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast