Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Seriously looking into this bike. I really want a commuter with discs and fender/rack mounts.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will be stopping by one of the Raleigh shops this week.

General question: It's an interesting detail, but the spare spokes on the chainstay....why? Seems like unnecessary weight (not much, admittedly) and an extra braze-on on what could otherwise have been a clean stay. I appreciate two spare spokes with color-matched nipples, but for my commute here in NYC, I'll be leaving those at home...leaving awkward and empty braze-ons behind.

mtbr member
    They say that the spokes double as a chain stay protector. I can't see letting the chain get that slack on the single speed, but the frame is set up to run gears as well,.

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    General question: It's an interesting detail, but the spare spokes on the chainstay....why? Seems like unnecessary weight (not much, admittedly) and an extra braze-on on what could otherwise have been a clean stay. I appreciate two spare spokes with color-matched nipples, but for my commute here in NYC, I'll be leaving those at home...leaving awkward and empty braze-ons behind.
    I agree, kind of a weird thing to have there. A neat little feature, but pointless. It is nice that they included the extra spokes though.

As pitch said, they would work as chainstay protectors if you were crazy enough to put gears on it.

Check it out though, it's a fun bike to own. It's gotten the most miles out of any bikes in my quiver this summer.

mtbr member
    May 2007

My Furley

Like the OP, I wanted a Furley but couldn't find much out about it. I sold a road bike off and planned on buying another "roadish" style bike but wanted versatility, low cost, and durability. I was fortunate enough to be good friends with the Raleigh dealer here in my town, so I convinced him to order in a bike without having to put money down, although I think he would have ordered one anyway. When it came in he called me up and I went in and built it up at his shop. I noticed that it was heavy, especially the wheels but since I planned on using it to commute and ride gravel, I wasn't totally put off by this. I took it out on my first test ride and felt right away that it was a comfy ride and not too slow for my speed conscious mind to handle.

After thinking about it over night, I decided to pull the trigger and brought the bike home, along with a 16t cog to bring the gearing up a bit for my mostly pavement and flat commute. I also have the stock 18t and a 20t that I will mess around with. With the money from my road bike sale, I could afford to buy the bike, some new 29er tires, a bright light system for night riding, and a sweet little push bike from Raleigh for my 4 year old. Mission accomplished.

The only real issue I have with the bike so far has been the front brake/fork. When I have the brakes set up for the kind of modulation I want, I cannot dial out the rotor rub from the fork flexing when I stand up to pedal. I hoping that upgrading the brakes can fix this issue over the winter. I also eventually switched the saddle out for a more performance oriented model, although the original wasn't all that bad. The 39x16t gearing gives me a nice cruising speed for the flats and makes the hills off my commute a bit more of a challenge. The stock tires roll well but get a lot of flats from thorns here in Idaho. I mounted up some armadillo road tires on it and it has resolved that problem but cost me some volume . I will have to look around to find the right tire for my preferred riding, but that will be fun since there are so many options out there for a cyclocross style bike. Anyway, here are a couple pictures from the day of my first ride after bringing home Mr. Furley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh Furley, some initial thoughts-furley-bw-compressed.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Teen Wolf
    Woo hoo, happy to see another one out there.

Teen Wolf
    Any owners had to adjust your EBB yet? I want to swap cogs out but will need to tension the chain. I loosened two bolts on the non-drive side hoping that I could get the EBB to spin but it's stuck. I see there are two bolts on the chainring side but I can't get to them. Anyone know if I have to pull the chainring to get to these bolts? Any have a HOW-TO guide? I'm not a great wrench but I like doing stuff myself.

mtbr member
    i talked to fsa via email to make sure I had it right. My BB was loose enough to simlpy turn it. You may have to loosen the crank arm to free it up.

Teen Wolf
    but i should only have to loosen the non-drive side bolts?

mtbr member
    Yes just those two. and that side crank

Teen Wolf
    sweet, thanks for the quick response.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks for this thread! i just put money down for one of these bikes on layaway. i ride a really crappy dawes lightning 1500, which is not even my size(6'3"), so when i took the furley for a test ride, i could really tell the difference. i had already been looking at bikes online but i was sold on this bike. i'll post an update once i get the bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice bike. I almost bought this bike but thankfully it was out of stock in my size and I "had" to buy a Tripper instead. The orange looks much better in person. I reviewed the Tripper as well.

1st Web User Raleigh Tripper Review

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    do you take it on legit singletrack or what sypes of trails?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What are your guys thoughts on the Happy Mediums? Sometimes I think they feel slugssish

Teen Wolf
    I didn't put a lot of miles on the happy mediums, but I can definitely vouch that the small block 8s i put on are even slower.

i've taken it on everything, full on singletrack, to long road rides. the gearing is a bit steep for singletrack so if i planned on riding it off-road more i'd gear down a little.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    The 2012 Raleigh Furley,

Thoughts?
    I really like the orange. The 2013 actually comes with another BB to convert it to a geared bike. I was thinking about getting the Furley and converting it.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The orange looks amazing in person. Almost like an iridescent orange.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    i have a question. are the disc brakes supposed to make a *ssssssssshhhhhhhhhh* sound when you pull the brake lever?

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by LDSC View Post
    i have a question. are the disc brakes supposed to make a *ssssssssshhhhhhhhhh* sound when you pull the brake lever?
    Disc brakes do make some noise when engaged. The pad rubbing on the rotor isn't silent. Though what you are hearing may or may not be normal, hard to say.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds good. The noise it makes isn't alarming or anything and the brakes work just fantastic. I'm new to disc brakes and know nothing about them, so I thought I'd ask. I'll have to confirm with my LBS when I go back to make my final payment on the bike. I'm super excited!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

my new bike!!

here it is, finally!!

not the greatest pictures but i wanted to post a couple close ups. the bike rides fantastic. its the 57mm, although i am almost 6'3". my lbs said that the sizing is different compared to normal road bikes so i was confused at first. Something I wanted to note is that i feel a very slight knee strain while pedaling. my LBS did, however, fit me to the bike. It's likely that i'll end up adjusting it some more. other than that, the bike seems to be really great! I'll keep updating as time goes by! also, if you want any pics of any specific areas of the bike, let me know!
    Last edited by LDSC; 11-16-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: pic size adjusted

Teen Wolf
    woohoo, love it dude. nice to see another orange one!!! mine is sitting 3 feet away from me right now in my office. droooool!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    What are your guys thoughts on the Happy Mediums? Sometimes I think they feel slugssish
    Terrible flat protection...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    The orange looks amazing in person. Almost like an iridescent orange.
    + 1 I wish the Roper came in orange also.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey, since we are on the topic. I bought a Raleigh Furley about a month or so ago, give or take. I'm definitely not liking the disc brakes that are on it and I am looking to get an upgrade. Not an upgrade that is going to deplete my residual income, if you know what I mean. I'm looking for some decent disc brakes that will really make me feel safe. Any help is appreciated!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast