Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Race a mtb event on a cross bike?

I'm a relatively new road and cyclocross racer, but mostly focused on 'cross, as I have found that the most fun in my relatively limited experience.

With the new USAC license for 2014, I no longer have to buy another license to race a mountain bike event.

I do own a mountain bike, although "vintage" by today's standards (1994 Kona Explosif). Wonder if I was smart about which events I registered for, could I get away with racing a mountain bike race on my 'cross bike?

I wouldn't be looking to win or even do particularly well, but think it could be fun and challenging and better practice for 'cross season than wailing on my road bike.

So, if I am not entirely crazy, what would I want to think about and prepare before rolling to the start grid?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I just put on a 24/36 front ring combo, 11-34 rear and turned up.

Was great fun, although the tree roots were the worst bit...

I think some of the MTB'ers would shake their heads in amazement at some of the CX courses too...

Fat-tired Roadie
    One of my teammates does this now and then.

It depends on the course. Do some training rides on your 'cross bike on trails, and dust off and tune up your old MTB. Try to preride courses you're thinking about competing on.

I'd expect that steep climbs and sustained descents will be your biggest problems.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I've thought about it. About the only thing holding me back is my cross bike is setup as a 1x10. Not really worth the trouble to me to set it up, since I have a mtb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm on a 1x10 as well. I guess not really practical for climbing.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    I'm on a 1x10 as well. I guess not really practical for climbing.
    Plenty of 26 and 29er mtb's run 1x10 quite successfully...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Plenty of 26 and 29er mtb's run 1x10 quite successfully...
    Yes, I've raced 1x10 on my mtb for 2 years now. Theres a difference between 32x36-11 on the mtb and 38x27-12 on the cx bike.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    Yes, I've raced 1x10 on my mtb for 2 years now. Theres a difference between 32x36-11 on the mtb and 38x27-12 on the cx bike.
    That's why I put an 11-34 on the CX bike for MTB races and if I was going to do it again, I'd have a spare chain and 34/11-36 setup ready to swap on to the CX.

Mtn View, CA
    Do USAC rules have equipment requirements preventing a cross bike from racing XC?
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nope. There are some rules, but they basically come down to having an upright bike with brakes on both wheels and dimensions somewhere within the realm of sanity. A 'cross bike should already comply.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This is from the UCI rulebook.

4.1.039bis
    During MTB races no traditional road handlebars may be used.
    The handlebars extensions of a triathlon or time trial type are forbidden, but traditional
    barends are authorized.
    (article introduced on 1.02.12).
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/ge...34424&LangId=1

Mtn View, CA
    Could you imagine an official telling John Tomac he couldn't ride with his drops back in the day?
    That's like flat bars aren't allowed in cross races.
    Last edited by gddyap; 01-07-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I raced Sea Otter on my CX bike and had all kinds of people whine about it, like I had some unfair advantage???

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg22 View Post
    My mistake.

Still worth double-checking USAC rules. The full UCI set aren't in force in most races in the US. And of course if the OP is in a state that doesn't do USAC...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    My mistake.

Still worth double-checking USAC rules. The full UCI set aren't in force in most races in the US. And of course if the OP is in a state that doesn't do USAC...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Just double checked the USAC rules and I didn't see any rule prohibiting drop bars.

Teen Wolf
    go for it and have fun. i'd definitely make sure i knew the course before doing it. i've done it on great courses for a cx bike and some not so great ones. it can be great fun, or it can totally suck. **** the uci.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks all for keeping the conversation going. I'm in NY, so we are USAC minions.

As for the UCI ruling, wouldn't that only apply to Elites? That is certainly the way it is in CX. Elites must use 33mm wide tires or less. No such stipulation for us mortals.

I might give it a shot if I can get my new CX wheels built in time. I'd imagine running tubeless would help limit my opportunities for equipment failure. I just picked up some of the new WTB cross rims, that are UST standard.

it would also help to get my butt out on the trails under non-race conditions and see where I am at.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    just FYI I was volunteering at CX Nats and chatting with a couple guys in the stage while we were waiting for the officials to score... suffice to stay none other than Steve Johnson himself said that UCI rules do not directly apply to local amateur races and if I wanted to race my disc brake cross bike on the road in summer to go for it - no one will say anything about drop bars in a MTB race, flat bars in a cross race, or discs on the road in anything short of a UCI event.

I myself have raced a cross bike at the local Battle the Bear XC (which is not a NORBA sanctioned event) and done just fine. It's a non-technical, flat and fast course which is ideal for 'cross bikes.

now if the promoters themselves put some type of ban on it (last year the Winter Park promoter banned CX bikes in their hillclimb event because it's just a 5 mile slog up a non technical fire road and tons of people were using CX bikes and whiners were whining about it) that's a different story. Plan accordingly.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Funny, I'd have argued that people using 'cross or road bikes for a fire road hill climb doesn't break the game, but is the game. It just means that instead, the game will be to make as improbably light a MTB as possible while still paying lip service to the rules.

I actually rather like the USAC (as opposed to tighter UCI) equipment rules. They read to me as being as broad as possible while still restricting competitors to upright bicycles that are safe for competition. IOW, if the event doesn't favor the "right" bicycle, there's something wrong with the course or the event's billing.

Outlaw
    I could be wrong, but as I'm to understand it, if you are participating in a USAC event, you are bound by both USAC and the UCI's rules since USAC is a part of the UCI.

That's part of what all the uproar about UCI rule 1.2.019 is about. All UCI rules apply to all USAC events and biggest of all, all USAC licensed riders, because effectively all USAC licensed riders carry a UCI license.

USAC didn't enforce it for years cause it's ********, and the UCI was content to look the other way. Then someone (probably a doper who still sucked) got all butthurt about something, complained, and now the UCI has to crack down.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I actually rather like the USAC (as opposed to tighter UCI) equipment rules. They read to me as being as broad as possible while still restricting competitors to upright bicycles that are safe for competition. IOW, if the event doesn't favor the "right" bicycle, there's something wrong with the course or the event's billing.
    I agree with this, but in the case of an XC race, let the CX'er compete, when the trail becomes too technical for the fast light CX bikes and punctures and overly excessive line considerations become the challenge, having the right bike for the job becomes the advantage...aka a proper mountain bike.

I have taking my carbon road bike on the lighter MTB trails just for fun, and could probably be faster than some many of the cat 3 competition, I wouldn't consider it for a race as I would get raped by my piers in cat 2 with cat 1 sandbaggers. A CX would definitely better my chances, but would in no way give me an advantage, but for someone trying it out or doing it for fun.. I say go for it, if that's what you have. No reason to go invest into a bike just to test the waters..especially if you're comfortable on the bike you have.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    I could be wrong, but as I'm to understand it, if you are participating in a USAC event, you are bound by both USAC and the UCI's rules since USAC is a part of the UCI.

That's part of what all the uproar about UCI rule 1.2.019 is about. All UCI rules apply to all USAC events and biggest of all, all USAC licensed riders, because effectively all USAC licensed riders carry a UCI license.

USAC didn't enforce it for years cause it's ********, and the UCI was content to look the other way. Then someone (probably a doper who still sucked) got all butthurt about something, complained, and now the UCI has to crack down.
    The point with rule 1.2.019 applies only to Pro/1/2 events. For us mere mortals contesting the Cat 3/4 (and anything lower than Pro in NORBA events, so Cat 1 / Expert is fine) they're not going to bother enforcing UCI rules.

That is straight from the horse's mouth per a conversation I had with Steve Johnson and a couple of level 1 USAC officials btw.

Rule 1.2.019 was only put into play in the first place because the Euros apparently felt that UCI Division 1 pros cherry picking prize lists at unsanctioned events (gran fondos, randonees, etc.) was unfair. Which, whatever but the whole ordeal came about because the way bike racing is structured in Western Europe is entirely different from how it's structured in North America.

We could have a whole conversation about how ambivalent I am about unsanctioned MTB events (some are fine, many are a complete unruly mess and there's zero consistency as to category enforcement, safety or doping controls but I get that NORBA has made a mess of things over the past decade and people are bitter about that).

I think the single license for all USAC sanctioned events is a major step in the right direction.

Outlaw
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    The point with rule 1.2.019 applies only to Pro/1/2 events. For us mere mortals contesting the Cat 3/4 (and anything lower than Pro in NORBA events, so Cat 1 / Expert is fine) they're not going to bother enforcing UCI rules.

I get that, and while USAC may not enforce it beyond the pro ranks, I was just saying that I was under the impression that all those rules apply to all of us.

We could have a whole conversation about how ambivalent I am about unsanctioned MTB events (some are fine, many are a complete unruly mess and there's zero consistency as to category enforcement, safety or doping controls but I get that NORBA has made a mess of things over the past decade and people are bitter about that).

The funny thing is, at least here in New England and in my limited experience, the unsanctioned events have fewer mistakes in the results, which I find completely unacceptable. Perhaps it is due to larger and larger start lists in the bigger events.

I think the single license for all USAC sanctioned events is a major step in the right direction.
    I agree.

Outlaw
    I'm bad at this interwebs stuff. I don't know how my words got in your quote.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    I'm bad at this interwebs stuff. I don't know how my words got in your quote.
    it's ok, I can parse what you're saying. To multi-quote requires opening/closing multiple "quote" tags in the post, which can be a PITA esp on a smartphone so I often resort to parantheticals or italics instead, either way is fine and understandable.

As far as unsanctioned events, I didn't say they suck, I merely said I'm ambivalent about them. Mainly because I've seen a lot of inconsistency out here in the way things are run, how well they're organized and whether their risk insurance would actually function effectively in a real medical emergency situation.

And I'm sorry if you're a well known pro triathlete you should not be racing "sport" class to cherry pick a win by over ten minutes per race for an entire series, and if you're on the podium in every Expert race at Winter Park you should not be racing Bs in the local short track series (all unsanctioned events) but that's just me and I'm kinda old and bitter and mostly over it by now. My experiences with NORBA in the 90s in the Midwest meant that, at the very least the same officials would be working at all the regional MTB and road events and they keep track of this stuff across the board. I actually got my license hole punched and handed back to me after my 3rd beginner class win in 1995 by a smiling official who said "welcome to Sport class!".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast