mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Question about a Nature Boy Zona:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's a boy! I have a sweet NBZ that is on the way from Ebay and I am stoked about the colorway and the tubing but a little taken aback by the compatibility of the BB. I am having a few problems that I would like to try and get help with.

First:
    What direction have any owners of this same frameset gone with in terms of BB and crankset. I have a set of carbon FSA track cranks that I have as well as a sram Omnium Crankset from my Cinelli Vigorelli. having a hell of a time finding the right crankset to be compatible with pf30 bb's

second:
    I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WHEELS TO GET!
    I am wanting to try and keep my build as economical as possible. Looking on ebay for tubular wheels that accept a ss cog but its been harder than a hoot owl to find anything that will fit my needs. Should I go tubeless, tubular, or clincher for an all around setup? not really looking to have 2 wheelsets unless there is no other way around it...

hoping to gain some guidance and I have been a long time lurker on this website reading lots of responses and posts.

thanks so much,
    Schwinn

mtbr member
    Nice! I wanted a Zona NB but they didn't make it small enough for me(need 46....) so I got "stuck with" a reg NB(lol.....not stuck, I love the damn thing!) Did you get the RWB fade Zona?
    I have had it 3 weeks now, still working out the gearing though. I had the shop switch out to a 42/19 freewheel setup initially and bought a 17 fixed cog. I tend to spin out in flats & paved on the fixed(the reason I ride it on that side) and the CX freewheel side was a bit too tall for my skill level(I tend to start and stop a lot on barriers and cornering). So last night, I put on a 20fw and a 16cog. Tonight is shakedown ride with the new fixed side and Sunday, I'll try the fw on the local singletrack. Thank goodness the track ends allow a pretty big tooth difference without chain issues! There isn't any more room in the rearward portion for a taller cog but there is one more tooth I could go with on the front fw side but I don't think I need a 21 unless course conditions are crap....and then, walking is probably faster anyways!

As far as pf30, supposedly you need adaptors of some sort. Have you looked up the actual pf30 crankset? That might tell you what adaptors they need for normal cranks. I wish I could tell you more

Lots of my CXer friends swear by tubeless setups. I went stock 2013 NB, so mine are clincher without the option for tubeless unless I ghetto it. I might some day but so far, I haven't had issues with clinchers & tubes really. I guess if I had a ton of flats or needed really low psi on a regular basis, I might try it out.

Post up some pics once you get the frame and start the build. All City makes some nice bikes!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    guess I'm just trying to figure out if I want to get a wheelset built for me or if I can find one that is reasonable. Has anyone ever had an experience with single speed tubeless set ups?

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have velocity a23's laced to std formula hubs on my Zona. They work well tubeless. Stan's tape with rim strips and clement PDx tires with a scoop of Stan's.

Edit: those were the wheels that came stock with the bike. You can buy pre built wheels from velocity that are similar ad well. They are not ss specific, but they'll work just as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    hmm I found some that I thought would work pretty well. what is the process of converting to tubeless? can I switch between going tubeless and tubes whenever I want or is it a drawn out process? sorry for all the questions just trying to be as economical as possible on this build so I can start racing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    how did your races/rides go? where are those races located at? AI am trying to get into the local cx scene here in AZ but it seems there isn't much going on here. will probably be in denver at the start of summer. I hear the cycling culture is pretty sweet there.

mtbr member
    I found out about our local CX stuff by Facebook. I was actually in a 150 mile gravel grinder race and the girl who hosted the race start&end friended me on FB and she co-runs the CX club. So it kindof fell into me more than anything, hence my 3 week old NB! Before that, I was CX bike-less. Well, scratch that, I did try using a Karate Monkey SS but the heft and rider position of that bike wasn't very CX-ish. It was more a detriment than a strength.
    I would check FB and your LBS personnel for CX info locally. It is fun(mostly).
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

Eli Broccoli
    BUY A NICE BB!!!

Seriously. I went through 2 of those garbage plastic ones before I invested in a quality, machined BB and its been silent and smooth ever since. Good place to spend the extra coin.

I have some Sram Force cranks that seem to be doing the trick. One day I'll cop a set of Rotor cranks.

Wheels? Something burley because you're going to want to get stupid on your new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 123elizxcvbnm View Post
    BUY A NICE BB!!!

Seriously. I went through 2 of those garbage plastic ones before I invested in a quality, machined BB and its been silent and smooth ever since. Good place to spend the extra coin.

I have some Sram Force cranks that seem to be doing the trick. One day I'll cop a set of Rotor cranks.

Wheels? Something burley because you're going to want to get stupid on your new bike.
    What bb would you recommend? Definitely trying to be pretty well under 100 bucks. I have an engagement ring to find and buy! Luckily the lady does likes bikes and approved the buying of this rad frame set.

Update just purchased a set of tubular wheels just looking for some tires now. A little uneasy about training on them because I know their expensive and have never ever used tubies before! :s

will post up my bike and build once I get it goin... I think I have enough posts now

peace dudez

schwinn

Eli Broccoli
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor Schwinn Pants View Post
    What bb would you recommend? Definitely trying to be pretty well under 100 bucks. I have an engagement ring to find and buy! Luckily the lady does likes bikes and approved the buying of this rad frame set.
    I got this one and it has been working well for me.
    Rotor BB30 Pressfit Innenlager Stahl 46x30mm - Bike-Components

This looks on par as well. Make sure it fits your crankset though.
    Wheels Mfg PressFit 30 Bottom Bracket

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ok so I am about to fire on one of those wheels mfg pf30 bb's I am going to be running a 172.5 mm bb30 crankset. Will I have a problem switching over from 175 mm omniums? I love my sram omniums and would prefer to have something like that eventually on my bike.

lastly I am confused about the angular contact bb's? what is the difference and what exactly does that mean?

The crankset is a FSA Gossamer that I will be running 1x and possibly a bash guard if I find one I like.

Never worked with inner cable routing so the building of this bike is going to definitely be a learning experience. super stoked! any dudes out in AZ racing cross?