mtbr member

Putting a mountain cassette on a CX bike

Whats the best set up for running an 11x36 cassette? I'm picking up the new cross bike this weekend and I want to set it up for gravel and fire rd. Its going to have 105 on it but I have a Campy Veloce kit I can swap it with. Campy with Sram x9 or 105 with 9sp XT?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    105 with 9 speed XT would be the easiest, however I really enjoy my Campy + shiftmate combo with a rapid rise XTR 9 speed derailleur.

Are Campy and Sram x9 compatible without a converter?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What gear are you running in front?
    I'm using Ultegra front and an old xtr rear as 1x9, with a 38 x 11-32 (sram cassette), it works very well, even all mudded up. I had an older XT 9sp der on the rear, that worked great too, but my friend needed a der on short notice for his Kanza bike and I put an xtr on while he was gone. My 1x9 gets pretty crossed up on the 11, so I set the derailleur stop at the 12, and I don't miss the 11 at all. The hills are generally very short in races, and I can power up most anything we see with the 32. For gravel I imagine you would want something more like a 34 or 36 in front?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Go for the XT.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Im using a xt 11-32 with a 952 shortcage RD & a ultegra triple converted to a double running 28/40/bash with barcons. I like the serious bailout gearing for FRs, ST and the like but the GI gaps between the 11-32 cogs dont do very well on the road. YMMV

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zxebay View Post
    Are Campy and Sram x9 compatible without a converter?
    No, cable-pull ratio is completely different

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post
    No, cable-pull ratio is completely different
    Actually they are and lots of people use this setup on tandems. I'm told it takes a little work to get it working right but its just fine when you do.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good site with info on mixing brands of shifters is;
    Shimergo | CTC

Only possible campy/sram combo they show as possible is to use campy 8s shifters with the SRAM 1.1 ratio derailler to shift over a shimano/sram 10s casette that has been shortened to 8 speeds.

mtbr member
    If you missed it. This is only one example. If you google it there are lots of people running 10sp cmapy with 10sp Sram.

Can you run Campy shifters with a SRAM drivetrain? Sure, why not? - VeloNews.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    If you missed it. This is only one example. If you google it there are lots of people running 10sp cmapy with 10sp Sram.

Can you run Campy shifters with a SRAM drivetrain? Sure, why not? - VeloNews.com
    Interesting, CTC site list just list SRAM RD as having a 1.1:1 pull ratio. If as Zinn measured, the Sram Red shifters pull 3.1mm of cable per click, then the effective pull ratio for the Red derailler is more like 1.274:1 so should yield 3.82mm of movemement when paired with a Campy 10S shifter which pulls 3.0mm/shift, apparently works well enough on a shimano/sram 10s cassette spaced at 3.95mm/cog.
    CTC site shows 10s campy shifters as having 2.8mm / shift pull but this is probably incorrect if the Zinn measurements and the hybrid setup work so well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i am running 34/46 FSA crank with Shimano 105 Drivetrain with exception of SRAM 11-32 Cassette (because it ws new and had in parts box). Pretty much all the Shimano Medium Cage Derailleurs will accept an 11-32 now.

I couldnt imagine needing more including a 36T rear cog.

Works very well.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    that 28/40 and 11-32 that jrm is running sounds nearly ideal to me; you'd rarely need the 28, but when you do you'd be super glad to have it. My 1x9 works great for racing, but I can see how on a long steep hill my 38 could start to feel pretty big.