mtbr member

Practice crits to get better at cross?

One of my many weaknesses in racing is comfort in a tight group of riders. As a result, I start slow, in the last quarter of riders, and spend the rest of the race playing catch-up when the group spreads out a bit. I even do this in XC races.

So I'm trying to talk myself into jumping in on the local Tuesday practice crit series that just started for the season. My main goal would be to get more comfortable with bumping shoulders and bars and so on. It conveniently ends just as the practice cross series starts.

Any thoughts? Is this pretty common?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    absolutely. The efforts are somewhat similar (i.e. High) but if you're at the front of a crit you won't HAVE to drill it out of the corners.

many events have an instructional period for the beginning racers mentored by a veteran racer. Additionally, your promoter SHOULD limit the number of noobs to a reasonable amount (I believe it's 50? for USAC events).

FWIW, I race endurance MTB events which generally lack a little of the stupid intensity of crit racing. After my break, I try to squeeze as many of these in as possible for many of the reasons you mention (pack riding and random stupid accelerations).

Do it. It's big fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I agree...crits definitely increase your ability to push it hard in a group of people. I have a friend that is in a similar position as you. He's a very strong cross rider, but nervous in the pack at the beginning. So he ends up having to fight his way back. He started doing some crits here and there only for the experience and has done a lot better at the start of his cross races