Post your SSCX!

Printable View

  • 02-28-2012
    sslos
    5 Attachment(s)
    Post your SSCX!
    Road Bike Review's CX forum has one, but I thought it sad that we don't have a SSCX thread on eMTBeeR.
    Or maybe I just wanted yet another place to post pics of my new bike...
    Anyway, CX season is pretty much over for most of us, but it seems SSers tend to keep riding their CX bikes year 'round instead of hanging them in a temperature- and humidity-controlled cellar to protect their tubulars.
    Here's mine, show me yours!

    Los
  • 03-08-2012
    no mojo
    I just picked up a Masi cxss and will try to post some pictures over the weekend.
  • 03-08-2012
    :EJ
    Sweet Nature Boy, love those forks. I've been racing a Felt Breed last couple of seasons, will get pics up when I can.
  • 03-10-2012
    cr45h
    mine won't be here for a couple months. Until then I'll look forward to this thread filling up with sweet pix
  • 03-10-2012
    Sheepo5669
    " width="549">

    This did the duty last season. Ill post pics of my new build when its together later in the week.

    ***warning*** it will have slick tires until september!
  • 03-11-2012
    FKMTB07
    I'm digging that Schwinn in the background.
  • 03-11-2012
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    " width="549">

    This did the duty last season. Ill post pics of my new build when its together later in the week.

    ***warning*** it will have slick tires until september!

    Nice! I figured that we'd see a greater diversity of SSCX bikes here than on RoadBikeReview.com.

    Los
  • 04-03-2012
    miwuksurfer
    My new cross bike, built by a new local builder. Put a Selle An-Atomica saddle on there. So nice...

  • 04-03-2012
    miwuksurfer
    Another shot, from the rear. Yes, that is a bottle opener on the non-drive side.

  • 04-03-2012
    FKMTB07
    Fap-tastic!
  • 04-03-2012
    Sheepo5669
    Gawd damn! Looks amazing. You are gonna cry when u get it muddy.
  • 04-04-2012
    Sheepo5669
    I just got it together today! Sweetest Motha ****in parts bin build I ever rode!

    Got some 35mm fatty slicks on order for the urban assault.

    " width="549">

    " width="549">

    I really am sorry about the crap pictures. It really is embarrassing...
  • 04-04-2012
    88 rex
    Yikes! Nice bikes!!

    Give me 5 years and then I'll be able to post mine. :)
  • 04-04-2012
    speederson
    New to MTBR. Two more posts and I can post pics.
  • 04-04-2012
    speederson
    One more...
  • 04-04-2012
    speederson
    Yes!
    " width="549">
  • 04-05-2012
    cr45h
    holy cow that baby blue stinner? is freaking awesome. just gorgeous.
  • 04-05-2012
    miwuksurfer
    Thanks guys. Its smooth as warm butter. I'll post dirty pics soon.

    Sheepo, what bars are those? Pretty shallow drop, no?
  • 04-05-2012
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Thanks guys. Its smooth as warm butter. I'll post dirty pics soon.

    Sheepo, what bars are those? Pretty shallow drop, no?

    They are ritchey pro Biomax. They are pretty light and very stiff.



    I cut off the ends of the bar though because I never used them. Its grown on me since I first did it.
  • 04-06-2012
    miwuksurfer
    That's funny, that is what I have on the stinner upthread. Just didn't recognize them chopped.
  • 04-06-2012
    kmancrx
    Dirty after the race
  • 04-11-2012
    Streetking
    2005 Moots Psychlo-X with ebb....

  • 04-12-2012
    norty_mtb
    1 Attachment(s)
    steel, belt drive, hydraulic discs
    Attachment 688471
  • 04-12-2012
    ferday
    Mine, love it!

  • 04-15-2012
    mtbkendall
    New Addition to the stable:





  • 04-16-2012
    sslos
    Nice! Still loving my Nature Boy.
    Great posts, everybody. Some awesome setups!

    Los
  • 04-16-2012
    69erEverything
    DeSalvo belt drive cyclocross race bike. I love it.

  • 04-19-2012
    boroef
    Stevens Super Prestige!
    Tried 42x17 (magic gear), decided it was suicidal and am now down to a more sane 39x17

  • 04-23-2012
    Swerny
    2 Attachment(s)
    2010 Kona Major One.....I just bought this new yesterday.
  • 04-23-2012
    jasevr4
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kmancrx View Post
    Dirty after the race

    :eek: What is this beauty?:thumbsup:
  • 04-23-2012
    kmancrx
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    :eek: What is this beauty?:thumbsup:

    Thanks

    Origin 8 CX700 all steel. This was after the CX race in Durham, NC.
  • 04-23-2012
    jasevr4
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kmancrx View Post
    Thanks

    Origin 8 CX700 all steel. This was after the CX race in Durham, NC.

    Nice one, looks great. Maybe I should go down that path.

    I've been hunting a steel, disc SSCX frameset for a long time now. Was hoping for vertical dropouts and some sort of tensioning system but I think it's time to give up on that dream and go with horizontal dropouts.
  • 04-24-2012
    kmancrx
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Nice one, looks great. Maybe I should go down that path.

    I've been hunting a steel, disc SSCX frameset for a long time now. Was hoping for vertical dropouts and some sort of tensioning system but I think it's time to give up on that dream and go with horizontal dropouts.

    It has tensioning screws in the track ends. I haven't had any problems with them. It has a derailleur hanger too if you want to do something weird--like put gears on it:D
  • 04-24-2012
    jasevr4
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kmancrx View Post
    It has tensioning screws in the track ends. I haven't had any problems with them. It has a derailleur hanger too if you want to do something weird--like put gears on it:D

    I actually have an Alfine 11 wheelset sitting here ready to go. Don't have a shifter yet - was going to get Versa VRS-11's, but I'm tempted to wait for Di2 now. :D
  • 05-04-2012
    BlueCannon
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno
    My new cyclocross commuter! Chromo, SS, simple, cheap and fast as hell. I'm loving it. I have never ridden anything with dropper bars before but I am getting used to it.



  • 05-06-2012
    dankilling
    1 Attachment(s)
    Traitor Crusade SS. A bike that loves to be ridden on a road that begs to be ridden.
  • 05-08-2012
    sslos
    Sweet! Seriously considered a Traitor before I found my Nature Boy.

    Los
  • 05-12-2012
    Utilityman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    Traitor Crusade SS. A bike that loves to be ridden on a road that begs to be ridden.

    How does that bike ride?
  • 05-13-2012
    dankilling
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    How does that bike ride?

    It's the best riding bike in my quiver! Which includes a Vicious Slider, Giant TCX, and a Niner. The hourglass stays do their job well, but the tube diameters keep things stiff laterally. Love it.
  • 05-13-2012
    seat_boy
    My Crosscheck:



    But it's actually a three speed. Tringlespeed? No derailers, though.
  • 05-16-2012
    sasquatch rides a SS
    SS/FG (flip flop rear wheel, ridden mostly FG), yeah it's technically a 26" wheel, but it's kind of a monster cross bike I guess. I don't really care, it's fun as hell!


  • 05-29-2012
    cr45h
    man, if i could pick up a nature boy with discs i'd buy one TODAY. until then, I wait as my bike is being sscx is being built.
  • 06-01-2012
    AMCAT
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I just got it together today! Sweetest Motha ****in parts bin build I ever rode!

    Got some 35mm fatty slicks on order for the urban assault.

    " width="549">

    " width="549">

    I really am sorry about the crap pictures. It really is embarrassing...

    How does the surly chain tensioner funtion ?? I'm thinking of turning my multi speed cx into a single speed...thx
  • 06-28-2012
    kyttyra
    Does a FGCX qualify :)
    42/20 gearing seems to be the least wrong in most situations...

  • 06-28-2012
    scrub74
    How about an action shot?

  • 06-28-2012
    blackeyes
    that STEVENS is so hot
  • 06-28-2012
    VTRC


    Simple, cheap, and awesome.
  • 06-30-2012
    TheSingleGuy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Once upon a time...
    in a galaxy far, far away...
  • 07-01-2012
    cdaddy
    Had this Nature Boy a couple of weeks now. Primarily my daily commuter but I've gotten it dirty a few times too.

  • 07-03-2012
    FKMTB07
    Those Nature Boys are really nice bikes. A buddy of mine who works as a mechanic at my LBS has one that he rides just about everywhere. If I didn't already have a Cross-Check built up in a very similar manner, I'd be all over a Nature Boy.
  • 07-03-2012
    rydbyk
    So, is racing cross (never raced cross myself) on a SS more or less of a factor than in the mtb world. In other words, is it less of a big deal with regards to fitness and being able to compete with the geared guys?

    I know the climbing around here tends to be less in a CX race than an mtb race.

    Ideas?

    Also, are disc brakes allowed in all CX races now?
  • 07-03-2012
    kmancrx
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    So, is racing cross (never raced cross myself) on a SS more or less of a factor than in the mtb world. In other words, is it less of a big deal with regards to fitness and being able to compete with the geared guys?

    I know the climbing around here tends to be less in a CX race than an mtb race.

    Ideas?

    Also, are disc brakes allowed in all CX races now?

    I am a relatively novice racer with just one season under my belt but my impression is that running SS is not much of a disadvantage depending on the course. We had 2 weeknight race series here in town and one of the courses was flat with relatively few obstacles. There, running a SS was much tougher because the boys and girls with gears could plow you on the straights. The other course was a bit more technical with more off camber, more tight turns and a little bit of single track. There, running a SS was much less of a disadvantage, in fact some people ran better on SS than geared. From my limited experience the climbs tend to be short and steep so as long as you can muscle up them or run up them you will be fine

    Discs have been allowed in all the races except the UCI races. Recently, however, that ban has been lifted and are now legal in the UCI races.
  • 07-26-2012
    hunttofu


    2011 Cannondale Super X with TEAM BEER eccentric BB. Sram Red, mavic kysriums, Tufo Cubus tires.
  • 08-03-2012
    Xenu
    Giant image of a SS disc crux with hydraulic brakes and a flat bar:

    http://i48.tinypic.com/10cnkg2.jpg
  • 08-15-2012
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AMCAT View Post
    How does the surly chain tensioner funtion ?? I'm thinking of turning my multi speed cx into a single speed...thx

    Never saw your post. The singular works great. best tensioner I have ever used!
  • 08-15-2012
    cr45h
  • 08-16-2012
    Adamj4130
  • 08-19-2012
    erol/frost
    What model/make is that orange bike?
  • 08-19-2012
    PitchCrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by erol/frost View Post
    What model/make is that orange bike?

    That is a Raleigh Furly. if you look a little down the cyclocross page he did a nice write with pics. After reading it i ordered one, should be here mid week. here is a link to raleigh
    Raleigh Bicycles Furley
  • 08-20-2012
    erol/frost
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    That is a Raleigh Furly. if you look a little down the cyclocross page he did a nice write with pics. After reading it i ordered one, should be here mid week. here is a link to raleigh
    Raleigh Bicycles Furley

    Wow, what a cool bike in black. Looks like a sensible year round training/gravel path bike especially with discs. From where did you order yours from if you don`t mind me asking? Currently I have a Miyata Triplecross which don`t really cut it anymore for a number of reasons.
  • 08-28-2012
    cr45h
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by erol/frost View Post
    Wow, what a cool bike in black. Looks like a sensible year round training/gravel path bike especially with discs. From where did you order yours from if you don`t mind me asking? Currently I have a Miyata Triplecross which don`t really cut it anymore for a number of reasons.

    ya, i really like the black. i probably would have ordered that if it was an option when i ordered the orange one. i do like the orange though, and i didn't have an orange bike in the quiver so it fits nicely.

    it is a nice training/gravel/commuter that's for sure. i ordered the orange one at a LBS that sells raleigh. not sure where the black one came from.
  • 09-03-2012
    Ratatosk
    What is your three speed setup? I wouldn't mind two more gears myself, for the hills.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    My Crosscheck:



    But it's actually a three speed. Tringlespeed? No derailers, though.

  • 09-03-2012
    Ratatosk
    4 Attachment(s)
    Another NB Zona
    Finally finished my Nature Boy about a month ago and I absolutely love it. The Brooks wasn't quite right for me on this bike, so I switched it to a Selle Italia something or other. A few changes to make at some point, but I'm enjoying it.
  • 09-03-2012
    J3SSEB
    2 Attachment(s)
    Here's mine ready for the gravel.
  • 09-10-2012
    SnowMongoose
    1 Attachment(s)
    Supposedly going to race cross this season.
    Here's my weapon of choice
    (also a sweet rig for getting around town)
    My apologies for the cell quality picture, the lighting didn't help much either.
  • 09-11-2012
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Finally finished my Nature Boy about a month ago and I absolutely love it. The Brooks wasn't quite right for me on this bike, so I switched it to a Selle Italia something or other. A few changes to make at some point, but I'm enjoying it.

    Paul Mini-Motos and hubs? Baller, my friend.
    I never got on well with the big ol' B17. I find the narrower Professional or Swift fits me better.
    However, I'm putting a cheap saddle on mine for 'cross season- just not willing to risk a Ti railled Swift!

    Los
  • 09-11-2012
    Ratatosk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Paul Mini-Motos and hubs? Baller, my friend.
    I never got on well with the big ol' B17. I find the narrower Professional or Swift fits me better.
    However, I'm putting a cheap saddle on mine for 'cross season- just not willing to risk a Ti railled Swift!

    Los

    Heh, yep ;) I got a pretty good deal on the hubs, but bought the MiniMoto's right after they came out, which was a bit painful at full price... however, I do like them and they fit the classy look of the frame nicely. It took me about six months to buy all the parts, it was well worth it though.

    I've tried to use the B17 on several bikes and have been disappointed that it hasn't worked out. I bought the mens one on the advice from other ladies, after having horrible luck with their women's saddles, but it's still too wide (although better). The saddle I have on the nature boy now is a narrower women's one and is much more comfortable :thumbsup:
  • 09-11-2012
    Sizzler
    What gear ratio are you all running? I'm considering a SS build and not sure what to start with. I already have a 20t ENO freewheel off another bike I'm not using, suggestions for front? Thanks for any info!
  • 09-12-2012
    sslos
    Well, I'm using a 42x16 right now, but will probably put a 17 or 18t on for the season. I'm moving, so I want to get a feel for the courses before I decide.
    42x18 is kind of classic CX gearing. To get an equivalent gear, you'll need a 46t ring. However, look at what the 1 speed guys in your local races are running. If the courses where you are are really fast, with little sand, mud, or climbs, you might want to gear up. Conversely, if they're technical courses, you might go down a bit.

    Los
  • 09-12-2012
    real ss budgie
    2 Attachment(s)
    chi ti hi fly
  • 09-13-2012
    bui


    My Crosscheck, 39x18 right now. Thinking about bumping to a 42 up front...planning on using it at the weekly cx race series coming up soon.
  • 09-21-2012
    htfu_aaron
    Updated
  • 09-21-2012
    trevrev97
    Mine
    Mine, my new wheels aren't here yet so my old ones will have to do :mad:
  • 09-21-2012
    real ss budgie
    sweet
  • 09-23-2012
    disgustipated
    My offering. I built the frame in my buddy's shop, and pieced it together with **** I had laying around, hence the bastard title. It's a blast to ride. Super fast and smooth as a prom queen's thighs. Experimenting with the flat bars right now. Really liking it.



  • 09-28-2012
    chairthruster
    1 Attachment(s)
    My Major One
    in 'need' of some upgrades, new wheels on the way soon hopefully to replace the current boat anchors. I'm sure new wheels will dramatically improvement my next race placement ;)
  • 10-02-2012
    bui


    Photo credits to DJ from here in Fort Worth. That's my SSCX Crosscheck at one of our weekly bandit races.
  • 10-03-2012
    octanejake
    that picture is awesome
  • 10-27-2012
    jss29b
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 10-27-2012
    jss29b
    Trek X01. Not sure of the year. Just added 40c Ritchey Max's. Really helped out the ride quality.
  • 10-28-2012
    jss29b
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 733915

    Little bit better pic. Out doing some gravel grinding.
  • 11-01-2012
    bryantreams
    Edited:my first picture was horrible.



    I've done a few cross races over the years but never tried single speed. Gonna try to hit Cincinnati this weekend the Louisville next weekend.
  • 11-02-2012
    Trail_rat
  • 11-02-2012
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bryantreams View Post


    I've done a few cross races over the years but never tried single speed. Gonna try to hit Cincinnati this weekend the Louisville next weekend.

    Did you do louisville last year? What gear are you gonna go with? Im planning on racing but im gonna be pressed for time and may not be able to preride and swap gears before the race.
  • 11-02-2012
    bryantreams
    I'll be sticking with a 40X17 until I get an eno hub. The only cross race I did last year was promotion cross here in Lexington, ky.
  • 11-02-2012
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bryantreams View Post
    I'll be sticking with a 40X17 until I get an eno hub. The only cross race I did last year was promotion cross here in Lexington, ky.

    Should be solid. I heard 39x17 was okay but a touch small on the flat sections. I think Im gonna run 38x16 unless its muddy.
  • 11-02-2012
    bryantreams
    Awesome, see you there. Holler at me if you see me, shouldn't be too many XO1 single speeds thrown together out of random parts haha.
  • 11-03-2012
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bryantreams View Post
    Awesome, see you there. Holler at me if you see me, shouldn't be too many XO1 single speeds thrown together out of random parts haha.

    Will do! Good Luck
  • 11-03-2012
    RegularCaller
    Just finished putting my Cotic Roadrat together for a bit of cross use this winter.

    It's the SS flat bar 'Rat which has just been fitted with Magura MT4 hydraulic discs and a set f Schwalbe Racing Ralph's.
    it's currently running 45x18 but when the new chain arrives on Monday it'll be getting converted to a more friendly 39x18.
    I'll have to get some pictures up tomorrow!
  • 11-04-2012
    Brian W.
    First i had this:

    2010 Gary Fisher Presidio...


    Then i swapped the parts onto this:

    2011 Crux...
  • 11-07-2012
    UzziDH
    1 Attachment(s)
    New build. Love it.
  • 11-07-2012
    seat_boy
    34/40 up front, and a 16/19 White Industries freewheel in the back (with a 16t fixed cog on the flip side).

    The CC's long dropouts can take up up to 6 teeth of cog difference, hence the 6 tooth chainring difference. I can run 34/16, 34/19, and 40/16 (40/19 uses up too much chain) I have to run a half link to make this work, though. Otherwise, the 40/16 ends up being too short and not able to get clamped in the dropout.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    What is your three speed setup? I wouldn't mind two more gears myself, for the hills.

  • 11-07-2012
    88 rex



    Salsa La Cruz w/ 36x16 magic gear. Love it!
  • 11-08-2012
    UzziDH
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post



    Salsa La Cruz w/ 36x16 magic gear. Love it!

    Nice! I run the same magic gear:)
  • 11-11-2012
    tucsonrider
    3 Attachment(s)
    1982 Trek Cyclocross SS
    Just finished this project:
    Surly Track Fixed/Free hubs on double wall rims
    Shimano 600 Cranks
    TRP EuroX Cantilevers
    Old steel SP seatpost
    Selle Saddle
    Salsa Stem- 1inch and used an 1 1/8 in to 1 in adapter to use thread-less
    Threaded Headset
    Deda Bars
    Lizard Skins Tape
    Cane Creek single speed levers
    Maxxis Tires
    I took older Trek frame that i had been riding around as a commuter to a local frame builder and had him braze on canti bosses, extra bottle mounts, and STI mounts because i plan to tour on it this summer. I had the clearance for larger tires because originally this frame was meant for larger 27" wheels so when i downsized to 700c. I can now run fenders, and large tires thanks to this. Enjoy!
  • 11-15-2012
    Mplsfatty
  • 12-13-2012
    Salomo
    More of a monstercross I guess in current set up. Had to trim the side knobs to make the 2.0 Mud X's fit.

  • 12-13-2012
    sslos
    Monstercrossed Cross=Checks are a blast!
    I had some IRC Mythos' on mine for a while, definitely had to break out the nippers on some of the knobs on the rear, though.

    Los
  • 12-14-2012
    xjbaylor
    Sorry for the terrible picture, I will try to point something other than my phone at it tomorrow.

  • 12-15-2012
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    Sorry for the terrible picture, I will try to point something other than my phone at it tomorrow.

    I hope you mean a better camera...

    Los