Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Post your SSCX!

mtbr member

sscx gearing

Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Quick question for all of you that race sscx, what gearing are you running? I live in New England and just bought a complete NB Zona. It has 42-17 and seems a bit tough on hills. I have yet to race, but know this combo will be tough. What gearing are you all running? I'm thinking of swapping out to a 39t, with a 17 or 18 in the back. I'll post pics too.
    For cx racing and paved commuting, I run 39/17 and it feels just right out here in Central New York. Just dropped to 36/17 to do some longer gravel road rides, 36/18 might be ideal.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New Zona

It's all stock except gearing. Went 39-18. Can't wait to get it real dirty.
    Post your SSCX!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice AC!!! What size is that? I wanted one but they made the smallest in a 49 and I need a 46, so I just(like 2 hours ago!) ordered a purple Nature Boy reg in a 46. Can't wait!!!
    Should be here Friday & get built up that day.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Nice AC!!! What size is that? I wanted one but they made the smallest in a 49 and I need a 46, so I just(like 2 hours ago!) ordered a purple Nature Boy reg in a 46. Can't wait!!!
    Should be here Friday & get built up that day.
    It's a 52. Fits me great. I'm 5'9". You'll love the ac. Rides great and is a blast. Enjoy!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Post your SSCX!

I may have posted this last year but it has some updates so once again here is my Felt F1X SSCX.

Upgrades from last year are mainly the brakes. I went from BB7's to TRP's new single speed specific (feel funny saying that about brakes) Hylex hydraulics 160 front 140 rear. The Hylex's are such a vast improvement over the BB7's it's ridiculous. The feel and modulation remind me of my XT's on my MTB. Only issue i have is that the brake hoods are longer than what i had and now i need either a more compact bar (current bars are aluminum Salsa Bell Laps) or a slightly shorter stem.

Also new are the cranks. Used a set of 2012 SRAM Red Exograms. Had to get a little creative with spacer bolts for the hidden 5th arm to make it single ring compatible but it works

In about 2 weeks i'll have another upgrade...a set of Psimet carbon tubular wheels with King disc hubs. Will repost that when they are here and ready.

Weight as shown and ready to ride with basic eggbeater pedals, bottle cage, and Barfly mount is 15.75 lbs

I'm using a BEER Components EBB for BB30 for the SS conversion. Shown here with 42x17 gearing which is what I run more often than not in races.

EDIT: also oh and one note. That 3T Luteus fork is freaking amazing. Really stiff and GOBS of clearance. I actually was running a 1.9 MTB tire on the front for awhile. It was a Specialized S-Works Renegade 1.9. It fits right on in there. With a fat tire like that on the front, it really converts this bike into a killer singletrack slayer.

Post your SSCX!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1380140441.961467.jpg
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 09-25-2013 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice Tyrone. How much weight do you think you'll drop with the carbon tubulars? Those hoods do look abnormally long, but I think the extra grip surface would work well for stand and mash climbs.

mtbr member
    I thought I posted my AC on here when I picked it up on Friday but I guess I didn't.
    All City Nature Boy 46cm, 42/19 SS. Pretty much stock at this point, although I did put my classy "lap bell" on it(not in picture).

Post your SSCX!-image.jpg

I am embarrassed to say that 5 days into ownership, I have all of 6ish miles on it so far. Thank goodness I have a CX race tomorrow that will right that cosmic wrong! Crazy week of running & road bike races. So glad October is finally here!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Nice Tyrone. How much weight do you think you'll drop with the carbon tubulars? Those hoods do look abnormally long, but I think the extra grip surface would work well for stand and mash climbs.
    You know good question on the weight difference between the current wheels and the carbon tubulars. The current Stan's Race Golds are extremely light...at least for a 29'er MTB wheelset, I think Stan's lists them at 1390 grams. And I'm not sure how much my tubular set is going to weigh. I think the tubulars are going to be a little heavier...they'll be a custom set of Psimet 38W Carbon's (Custom Cyclocross Wheels - Custom Bicycle Wheelsets by PSIMET). Psimet has stock set of these with Alchemy hubs that is listed at 1247 grams, but because I am running discs I had to go with a custom setup. I went with Chris King disc hubs....R45 road disc in the rear, and on the front, I went with one of their MTB disc hubs instead of an R45. Mainly because when I ordered them, there was a small chance I would be racing one of the new Giant TCX's disc frames with the thru-axle fork, and I wanted a front hub that could be convertible between standard QR and 15mm thru axle, and the R45's, being a road hub, didn't offer that.

So all that being said, I think with the King hubs, the Psimet tubulars will be a bit heavier...we'll see. I'm not getting them with weight as the main consideration though....I've wanted the ride of tubulars for awhile now, and those Race Gold rims are flexy as hell (they have a 170 lb weight limit which is exactly where I'm at). So I'm looking forward to the Psimet's for a bump in performance from tubulars and stiffness, weight was the 3rd consideration for them I guess.

Oh and yeah, the extra grip surface on the Hylex hoods do work well for the stand mash climbs. Just the other day, I took off the Salsa Bell Laps (which are now for sale if anyone is interested!) that are in the photo and replaced them with some shorter reach alu Zipp Service Course's...and now my position is back to where it was. So happy about that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

... and if we just ... 2012 Felt Breed

Post your SSCX!-img_2664.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Custom Wilco SSCX (DSCX?)

Just took delivery today. It's a custom disc steel frame with enough nice bits and bobs to keep the weight down around 18lbs. Running the WI dingle speed cranks 35/38 in the front and 13/15 tooth cogs in the back. 35/15 is too tall for off road, so I am going to change it to a 16T. The rear adjustable drop outs are the bees knees!

Post your SSCX!-photo-5-1024x768-.jpgPost your SSCX!-photo-2.jpgPost your SSCX!-photo-4-800x600-.jpgPost your SSCX!-photo-6-800x600-.jpg

hispanic mechanic

Post your SSCX!

Here's my new bike for this season. 2009 Cannondale XTJ, NOS.
    17.8 lbs.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    updated pic with Psimet 38W tubulars laced to King disc hubs (R45 disc rear & Mtn disc front in case I ever need 'em on a thru-axle fork). Challenge Fango tubulars. Will probably de-sticker those rims a bit....

Post your SSCX!-felt-psimet.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^^ NICE Ron. interested in hearing your thoughts on the wheels.
    Does that 3T fork have a fender mount?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Post your SSCX!-10122664856_29860817f1_c.jpg

A blend of KVA Stainless and True Temper S3. Just waiting on a new crank and fork.

GasX, bike looks great!

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    nice cannondale. how are you running it SS? beer EBB or magic gear or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Here's my new bike for this season. 2009 Cannondale XTJ, NOS.
    17.8 lbs.

Los

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just finished building this up today. Budget SSCX action here. I've usually ride road and mountain but I wanted to give cross a shot without breaking the bank so this is what I went with.

Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno
    FSA Omega Compact Bars
    Cane Creek SCR-5c Levers
    Michelin Mud 2's
    Crank Brother Candys
    Fizik Aliante Saddle

It's heavy at 21.4 pounds, but considering that I am only into this thing for about $450, I am very happy with it.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    nice cannondale. how are you running it SS? beer EBB or magic gear or something else?
    Thanks! Yup, BEER Components EBB. Very happy with it. Not cheap, but so far it's seen the High Cascades 100 on my flash, and now CX on my XTJ with no complaints.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's good to know. I was thinking about buying an aluminum cannondale disc bike and adding a BEER EBB.

Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Thanks! Yup, BEER Components EBB. Very happy with it. Not cheap, but so far it's seen the High Cascades 100 on my flash, and now CX on my XTJ with no complaints.

Los

The Brutally Handsome

'84 Fuji Touring III

Hatta Headset

Nitto Bars and Stem

Dia-Compe Cantis w/ Sram Levers

Ritchey WCS Crankset w/ Dura Ace BB

Shimano 600 Chain

Time ATAC World Champ Pedals

Mavic Aksiums w/ Challenge Fangos

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Sweet!
    Bonus points for snow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NailheadSS View Post
    Just finished building this up and can't and to take it out. The BB is a bit wide so I'll have too wait for a narrower one.

Paul Comp. 170mm cranks, 39T sprocket, high flange hubs, Neo-retro front and touring canti rear brakes, funky monkey front cable stop and a couple of moon units.

FSA headset, SL-K carbon seatpost and stem.

Salsa clamp

Fizik aliante carbon saddle

On One Midge bars with Dura ace levers and Fizik shiney ass bar tape with Allagash Quadrupel cork bar plugs (YUMMY).

Mavic A319 rims with double butted spokes and gold nipples

Serfas Cyclo 700x35C tires

KMC K710SL Superlite Kool chain and a 20 tooth freewheel for now

Beautiful .

mtbr member
    Post your SSCX!-img_0877.jpg

69er Monster Cross

Ovaries on the Outside
    He already sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Sweet!
    Bonus points for snow

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Not exactly a CX but it is SS and it has CX tires so I guess it counts.

Early '80s Sho-Gun roadie with 700x30 Schwalbe CX Comp. Gearing is 38x16. This bike is FUN!
    "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My Nashbar SSCX, mainly used as my commuter bike.

Post your SSCX!-sscx.jpg

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast