Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Post your SSCX!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    can any CX bike be turned into a SS with just a wheelset switch or is there a lot more to it than that?
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    can any CX bike be turned into a SS with just a wheelset switch or is there a lot more to it than that?
    If it doesn't have adjustable drop outs, you will also need a chain tensioner

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You don't even need to switch the wheels. A conversion kit and a chain tensioner is all you'd need. I use a Surly spacer kit and a Surly singleator on my SSCX and it works well. The frame is a typical geared CX frame and the hub is an Ultegra 6800 (11 speed).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Grand Falls on the Little Colorado River, Navajo Nation, AZ

Post your SSCX!-screen-shot-2016-03-17-11.15.33-pm.jpg

One Colorful Rider
    All City Nature Boy Original
    IMG_20160317_191303369 by Norm, on Flickr

All City Nature Boy Disc
    IMG_20160327_104423719 by Norm, on Flickr

Bianchi San Jose
    IMG_20160306_121034044 by Norm, on Flickr

wanna ride bikes?
    Finally finished it. it's been 95% complete for more than a month, the weather was unbelievably perfect today, so i finished it and took it for a test ride. a bit over 27 miles mixed surfaces, found some new trails.

it's a 61cm Civilian Le Roi Le Veut 4130 frame with sliders and a carbon fork. what a blast! hodge podge build. mountain BB7's, Ultegra cranks, Amer. Classic MTB wheelset, 40c Nano F/35c Conti. X-King R, Ergon saddle, 46mm Cowbell bars (for now), Cane Creek levers, Surly cog, 39:17. 23 lbs with nothin fancy, yet.

I think i'll end up with a little taller gear, but i will be spending a decent amount of time on single track so I want to be able to climb. wretched color, but i can change that down the road if i decide to keep this frame. the tire clearance is lousy, otherwise its great.

and now for the pics.
    Post your SSCX!-img_3469.jpgPost your SSCX!-img_3471.jpgPost your SSCX!-img_3474.jpgPost your SSCX!-img_3479.jpgPost your SSCX!-img_3483.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

Hardtail 29er- dead forever
    SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Really loving this ride...liked the steamroller but it was just a bit too big and the tires a bit too small.

Vassago Fisticuff: Squeezing a Vee Rubber V10 29x2.1 in the back with the wheel all the way back in the dropouts.

Post your SSCX!-screen-shot-2016-04-10-6.46.29-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Still dusty from Barry Roubaix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-sscx2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Today I got a lesson in just how rocky a gravel road in AZ can be...this power line service road had more embedded rocks than young jeezy's grill, topped off with a 800 foot switchback descent that would have challenged an enduro bike and was utterly painful on the Fisticuff. Not even worth it for the scenery.

Post your SSCX!-screen-shot-2016-04-19-7.38.49-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Post your SSCX!-img_2967.jpg

In road mode rolling on Roubiax 32 tubeless

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bj.bonnette View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	1074115

i love the simple look of this bike.
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by bj.bonnette View Post

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	1074115

would you be willing to post some close up pictures of the rear drop outs? My Googling returns nothing.

EDIT: Nevermind. I Googled a little harder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just for reference the rear drop out is the same as a regular crux. Only difference is it is not drilled for a hanger. I took a spare I had from one of my other bikes and it fits perfectly. Just no holes to secure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    would you be willing to post some close up pictures of the rear drop outs? My Googling returns nothing.

EDIT: Nevermind. I Googled a little harder.

A God Without A Name
    Oh, that's actually pretty awesome then! that would not be too hard to modify.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not at all. thought about using some extra di2 parts and adding a rear xt derailleur, only problem is no provisions for cables so I would have to drill some hole

Etap it is I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Oh, that's actually pretty awesome then! that would not be too hard to modify.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Forced to ride ss now see the light

Rode my foundry Auger in this year's DK200 . 6 miles in Kansas mud shears off my derailleur and so (without much thought) I break my chain and seal my fate with 50x24 gearing for the rest of the ride. I got lucky and it worked and am now transfigured!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Post your SSCX!-20160611_184259.jpgFirst ride on the new (to me) frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Post your SSCX!-screen-shot-2016-06-14-7.42.05-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the light and lively steamroller is back...

Post your SSCX!-screen-shot-2016-07-19-6.45.53-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Steamroller + centerpull brakes = half-decent SSCX. I have a fingers worth of clearance with 33mm tires front and rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice to see another black roller taking to the gravel...

Got the Fisticuff back together with fresh TRP levers and a Conti Speedride 42c out back

Post your SSCX!-screen-shot-2016-08-09-9.50.34-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    bump...Latest CL score: Chris King road hubs laced to Stans Alpha 400 rims with some snazzy white spokes.

Post your SSCX!-screen-shot-2016-10-28-10.11.36-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    bump...Latest CL score: Chris King road hubs laced to Stans Alpha 400 rims with some snazzy white spokes.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 10.11.36 AM.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1102365
    Urban trail right off of san francisco st, NAU?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by comfycoaster View Post
    Urban trail right off of san francisco st, NAU?
    nailed it...It's on my commute and the sign always cracks me up.

one chain loop

Smile

Delete.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

All-City NatureBoy. Picked it up a few weeks ago....love it so far.

Just gotta convert to tubeless, cause I keep getting flats.

Maybe try cross racing next year. Too out of shape right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-20161105_152059.jpg  

hispanic mechanic
    So it's been a while since I've posted on this thread. About 5 weeks ago, I was commuting home from the bike shop on my All-City Nature Boy Zona and was involved in a hit and run. Face and frame were both destroyed. I'll refrain from posting pics of my face, but here's my beloved NB-
    So after a 4 hour facial reconstruction surgery, then a couple weeks later a 2 hour bone graft to rebuild my maxilla, I was still saddened about my bike.
    Well, my teammate and a friend from a shop I used to work for got together, and decided to build a replacement. They had help from the rest of the team, and lots of other racers in the Boise cycling community.
    Here she is-
    I'm still stunned by the incredible people here in Boise, my friends at George's Cycles, and by my Donger Mfg. teammates.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I'm still stunned by the incredible people here in Boise, my friends at George's Cycles, and by my Donger Mfg. teammates.

Los
    wow, sorry to hear about your bike, but more sorry to hear about your accident. i hope there were witnesses and the police got a good description of the car.

hope your healing well. sounds like you have a pretty special group of friends/teammates. i'm pretty sure it's written somewhere that when your friends get together and build you a new bike, you have to supply the beer after the first ride.

hope you get back to it soon. i look forward to reading your ride report (with pics) of the new bike with a brief comparison to the old one.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    wow, sorry to hear about your bike, but more sorry to hear about your accident. i hope there were witnesses and the police got a good description of the car.

hope your healing well. sounds like you have a pretty special group of friends/teammates. i'm pretty sure it's written somewhere that when your friends get together and build you a new bike, you have to supply the beer after the first ride.

hope you get back to it soon. i look forward to reading your ride report (with pics) of the new bike with a brief comparison to the old one.
    Thanks, man. It's gonna be a while before I'm able to ride- I need to make sure I don't disturb the bone graft.
    I'm very excited to get this beaut out on some dirt, and I will most certainly post updates!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

MaxTheCyclist.com
    So it's been a while since I've posted on this thread. About 5 weeks ago, I was commuting home from the bike shop on my All-City Nature Boy Zona and was involved in a hit and run. Face and frame were both destroyed. I'll refrain from posting pics of my face, but here's my beloved NB-
    So after a 4 hour facial reconstruction surgery, then a couple weeks later a 2 hour bone graft to rebuild my maxilla, I was still saddened about my bike.
    Well, my teammate and a friend from a shop I used to work for got together, and decided to build a replacement. They had help from the rest of the team, and lots of other racers in the Boise cycling community.
    Here she is-

Los
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Thrilled to hear your community came together.

A local racer at our shop had his SSCX run over by a truck, and he replaced it with a Nature Boy 853. I just picked up a frame last month and I'm 70% done building it up. This is going to be the "it" bike of 2017; it seems like everyone's grabbing one!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Thrilled to hear your community came together.

A local racer at our shop had his SSCX run over by a truck, and he replaced it with a Nature Boy 853. I just picked up a frame last month and I'm 70% done building it up. This is going to be the "it" bike of 2017; it seems like everyone's grabbing one!
    Thanks, the folks here really are outstanding! If it rides anywhere close to as well as my Zona did, there's good reason everyone is grabbing them!
    Have fun with your build, hope you get a chanceto race it this season.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

wanna ride bikes?
    Thanks, man. It's gonna be a while before I'm able to ride- I need to make sure I don't disturb the bone graft.
    I'm very excited to get this beaut out on some dirt, and I will most certainly post updates!

Los
    that shiny new bike is good motivation to heal faster. I was doing the recovery thing last year after a collar bone break and two surgeries 8 months apart. not fun but it was worth it, i'm feeling good now. shoulder is nearly 100%, and my fitness is even better now than before my crash.

hopefully it's not too long before you can get back at it. you never know, maybe you'll come out faster on the other side.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    that shiny new bike is good motivation to heal faster. I was doing the recovery thing last year after a collar bone break and two surgeries 8 months apart. not fun but it was worth it, i'm feeling good now. shoulder is nearly 100%, and my fitness is even better now than before my crash.

hopefully it's not too long before you can get back at it. you never know, maybe you'll come out faster on the other side.
    Nothing like a crash to remind us how much we value our time on the bike. I've been down hard a couple of times.

Crashing is the reason I won't ride a bike with suspension- I take it easy, pick my lines, and stay upright to avoid time off the bike for a recovery.

Rocks belong
    Are y'all using standard dual-control shifters/levers for your SSCX? Or buying brake levers only?

Got a Traitor Crusade (same as Transition Rapture) frameset coming tomorrow

WTB CX/Frequency i29 wheels on American Classic hubs
    WTB Cross Boss 35c, Riddler 37c or Kenda Happy Medium 40c tires

38T oval crank
    Dunno rear gearing yet, but I plan on repurposing an old MTB cassette sitting around

Still piecing together the finishing kit... thinking it would be better to buy dual control brake levers/shifters that way I can run 10s or SS?
    I like 'em low, long, slack and playful

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Are y'all using standard dual-control shifters/levers for your SSCX? Or buying brake levers only?

Got a Traitor Crusade coming tomorrow

WTB CX/Frequency i29 wheels on American Classic hubs
    WTB Cross Boss 35c, Riddler 37c or Kenda Happy Medium 40c tires

38T oval crank
    Dunno rear gearing yet, but I plan on repurposing an old MTB cassette sitting around

Still piecing together the finishing kit... thinking it would be better to buy dual control brake levers/shifters that way I can run 10s or SS?
    Just brake levers for my build, but my frame won't take derailleurs.

wanna ride bikes?
    yup, just brake levers for me too.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

mtbr member
    Mine was a 1x10 and I gutted the shifty bits from the one lever. Didn't have to remove it but figured I had already removed the lever to get rid of the cable so why not just fully castrate the bike.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I had a SuperX that was a 1x11, and I just added the ECBB but kept the lever. It just doesn't shift too much anymore
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I like the hood shape of my old 8-speed STI shifters so I used them and the brake-only Tektro's are in a box.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I know these are kind of in vogue right now. Here's my Nature Boy.

The blog links to the full build list, tons of good pictures, and my initial impressions:

New Bike Day: All-City Nature Boy 853

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    nature boy pics are killing me (did I just say that?)

Nice bikes...

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    I know these are kind of in vogue right now. Here's my Nature Boy.

The blog links to the full build list, tons of good pictures, and my initial impressions:

[URL="https://maxthecyclist.wordpress.com/2016/11/27/new-bike-day-all-city-nature-boy-853/"]New Bike Day: All-City Nature Boy 853
    Nice!!!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Pimped out Nature Boy Zona. Putting the steel fork back on soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Things got a little muddy yesterday.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567