Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Post your SSCX!

mtbr member
    There are some awfully sexy bikes in this thread. I have been contemplating the ss conversion on mine and this certainly is motivating me to take the plunge...particularly after destroying my rear derailleur on my last ride. Just need to figure out a gear I can live with for my typical ride that include road, gravel, dirt, and some singletrack.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Fun

It's fixed and got a flat bar, but super fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-image.jpg  

'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

mtbr member

Post your SSCX!

I just took delivery of a 2013 Rocky Solo CX. Use it to commute to work. Why a CX and not a road bike or a 29er? This trail is about 30% if the ride (though only about 15% is single track) the rest is typical marginally-maintained roads.
    Still figuring out the shifters but so far loving it.

Post your SSCX!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366690426.020525.jpg

Already getting complaints about tracking mud into the office.

Post your SSCX!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366690688.746550.jpg

Sent by high-tec mobile device through carrier pigeon network using flakey app controlled by less-than-accurate finger.

mtbr member

Post your SSCX!

Oh. Just noticed its a single speed CX thread. Guess the rest of you aren't having shifter issues.

Sent by high-tec mobile device through carrier pigeon network using flakey app controlled by less-than-accurate finger.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike, very cool and I am sure you will love it! Very different than a mtn bike but thta is the thrill, have 2 very different bike.

Did you buy it at Liberty Bike in Asheville?

mtbr member

Post your SSCX!

Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Did you buy it at Liberty Bike in Asheville?
    Nope. Wrong side of town. Love the owners over there. Mike is pretty awesome. Some of the staff are pretty awesome too.
    My shop is ProBikes in West Asheville.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxbike View Post
    Nope. Wrong side of town. Love the owners over there. Mike is pretty awesome. Some of the staff are pretty awesome too.
    My shop is ProBikes in West Asheville.

I live in NY but have been to Asheville last summer and I love it there. I stopped into Liberty Bike to get some maps and enquire as to where to mtn bike.

Going to bike around Harrisonburg VA next month and hoping to get back to Asheville in the fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I live in NY but have been to Asheville last summer and I love it there. I stopped into Liberty Bike to get some maps and enquire as to where to mtn bike.

Going to bike around Harrisonburg VA next month and hoping to get back to Asheville in the fall.
    My wife was born in Yonkers, raised in the Catskills. Loads of good riding there and here. SS guys have to be pretty strong in both places. I have gears. 'Nuff said :P

Never ridden much in VA, except a gang of us rode the VA Creeper end-to-end about 10 years ago on what I'd now consider an All-Mountain bike. 1% grade in soggy gravel on 2.5s. Even downhill, it was pretty miserable.

mtbr member
    We live just north of Yonkers and our favorite place to ride is Stewart Forest in Newburgh. It's long flowing single track perfect for an older rider like myself with a FS 29er.

We did ride Bent Creek when in Asheville and next time we want to try Dupont.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been hunting a steel, disc SSCX frameset for a long time now. Was hoping for vertical dropouts and some sort of tensioning system but I think it's time to give up on that dream and go with horizontal dropouts.
    These were my sentiments exactly until I found the forthcoming Traitor Crusade. It's going to make the ideal single speed CX bike IMHO. Can't wait until August...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been hunting a steel, disc SSCX frameset for a long time now. Was hoping for vertical dropouts and some sort of tensioning system but I think it's time to give up on that dream and go with horizontal dropouts.
    These were my sentiments exactly until I found the forthcoming Traitor Crusade. It's going to make the ideal dingle speed CX bike IMHO. Can't wait until August...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxbike View Post
    I just took delivery of a 2013 Rocky Solo CX. Use it to commute to work. Why a CX and not a road bike or a 29er? This trail is about 30% if the ride (though only about 15% is single track) the rest is typical marginally-maintained roads.
    Still figuring out the shifters but so far loving it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366690426.020525.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	793029

Already getting complaints about tracking mud into the office.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366690688.746550.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	793030

Still a nice bike, but you’ve got to do something about that gearing… as in, get rid of the cassette, for starters.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member

Post your SSCX!

Surely you jest! I can't go back to 8-track!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by niknaim View Post
    Nice first post! Stay a while, will ya? Good to see those funky-ass half-link chains coming in handy on a non-adjustable/non-sliding BB/rear axle setup.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    just finished the build.......
    Post your SSCX!-allcity.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My Major One set up for an early spring gravel grinder. For 'cross season obviously it loses the bag and bottles. Also, gearing goes down to 42:18 so my legs don't explode!

Post your SSCX!-major-one.jpg

mtbr member
    I know it isn't a cyclocross frame but I'm going to try run this as my sscx for collegiate this year.

Post your SSCX!-comuter.jpg
    Post your SSCX!-comuter2.jpg

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quick question for all of you that race sscx, what gearing are you running? I live in New England and just bought a complete NB Zona. It has 42-17 and seems a bit tough on hills. I have yet to race, but know this combo will be tough. What gearing are you all running? I'm thinking of swapping out to a 39t, with a 17 or 18 in the back. I'll post pics too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Quick question for all of you that race sscx, what gearing are you running? I live in New England and just bought a complete NB Zona. It has 42-17 and seems a bit tough on hills. I have yet to race, but know this combo will be tough. What gearing are you all running? I'm thinking of swapping out to a 39t, with a 17 or 18 in the back. I'll post pics too.
    I don't race. But I do live in New England. I'm running a 39-19 and it's great for gravel roads with good climbs and singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Also if you happen to ride ss mtb. For comparison of fitness and location. I run a 32-20 on my ss 29er in southeast vt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Here's mine

Raleigh Furley, American Classic SS 29'er wheels, Avid BB7 mountain bike brakes (they work just fine and have incredible stopping power), Specialized Tera Pro 700x33 tires, Ritchey WCS stem/bar/seatpost, stock crank with FSA 38 tooth front ring/18 tooth rear, shimano XT SPD pedals. 22lbs 5oz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-20130915_10.jpg  

Post your SSCX!-20130915_3.jpg  

Post your SSCX!-20130915_7.jpg  

Post your SSCX!-20130915_13.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    42/17 would be tough, try a 20 on the rear cog and see how that feels.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ardmoregeorge View Post
    Also if you happen to ride ss mtb. For comparison of fitness and location. I run a 32-20 on my ss 29er in southeast vt.
    I do have a ss mtb and also run a 32-20. I'm trying a 39-17 and 18 to see how that feels. I may also pick up a 19 as I love riding cross bikes on single track. Thanks!

hispanic mechanic

Post your SSCX!

Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Last season I raced 42x16 in my first race in Boise. Way too tall. So I went back to what I used 10 years before in Colorado- 42x18 which worked ok.
    Building up my new bike I decided to try a smaller gear. I'm starting the season 39x18.
    I think for some of our courses I'll put the 16t on.
    If you don't have a lot of flat, fast sections on race day I'd definitely go 39t.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast