Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your SSCX!

145K views 352 replies 157 participants last post by  porttackstart 
#1 ·
Road Bike Review's CX forum has one, but I thought it sad that we don't have a SSCX thread on eMTBeeR.
Or maybe I just wanted yet another place to post pics of my new bike...
Anyway, CX season is pretty much over for most of us, but it seems SSers tend to keep riding their CX bikes year 'round instead of hanging them in a temperature- and humidity-controlled cellar to protect their tubulars.
Here's mine, show me yours!

Los

Attachments

See less See more
#51 ·
So, is racing cross (never raced cross myself) on a SS more or less of a factor than in the mtb world. In other words, is it less of a big deal with regards to fitness and being able to compete with the geared guys?

I know the climbing around here tends to be less in a CX race than an mtb race.

Ideas?

Also, are disc brakes allowed in all CX races now?

#52 ·
I am a relatively novice racer with just one season under my belt but my impression is that running SS is not much of a disadvantage depending on the course. We had 2 weeknight race series here in town and one of the courses was flat with relatively few obstacles. There, running a SS was much tougher because the boys and girls with gears could plow you on the straights. The other course was a bit more technical with more off camber, more tight turns and a little bit of single track. There, running a SS was much less of a disadvantage, in fact some people ran better on SS than geared. From my limited experience the climbs tend to be short and steep so as long as you can muscle up them or run up them you will be fine

Discs have been allowed in all the races except the UCI races. Recently, however, that ban has been lifted and are now legal in the UCI races.

#69 ·
Well, I'm using a 42x16 right now, but will probably put a 17 or 18t on for the season. I'm moving, so I want to get a feel for the courses before I decide.
42x18 is kind of classic CX gearing. To get an equivalent gear, you'll need a 46t ring. However, look at what the 1 speed guys in your local races are running. If the courses where you are are really fast, with little sand, mud, or climbs, you might want to gear up. Conversely, if they're technical courses, you might go down a bit.

Los

#75 ·
My offering. I built the frame in my buddy's shop, and pieced it together with **** I had laying around, hence the bastard title. It's a blast to ride. Super fast and smooth as a prom queen's thighs. Experimenting with the flat bars right now. Really liking it.

#84 ·

I've done a few cross races over the years but never tried single speed. Gonna try to hit Cincinnati this weekend the Louisville next weekend.
Did you do louisville last year? What gear are you gonna go with? Im planning on racing but im gonna be pressed for time and may not be able to preride and swap gears before the race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.