Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your SSCX!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    So, is racing cross (never raced cross myself) on a SS more or less of a factor than in the mtb world. In other words, is it less of a big deal with regards to fitness and being able to compete with the geared guys?

I know the climbing around here tends to be less in a CX race than an mtb race.

Ideas?

Also, are disc brakes allowed in all CX races now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    So, is racing cross (never raced cross myself) on a SS more or less of a factor than in the mtb world. In other words, is it less of a big deal with regards to fitness and being able to compete with the geared guys?

I know the climbing around here tends to be less in a CX race than an mtb race.

Ideas?

Also, are disc brakes allowed in all CX races now?
    I am a relatively novice racer with just one season under my belt but my impression is that running SS is not much of a disadvantage depending on the course. We had 2 weeknight race series here in town and one of the courses was flat with relatively few obstacles. There, running a SS was much tougher because the boys and girls with gears could plow you on the straights. The other course was a bit more technical with more off camber, more tight turns and a little bit of single track. There, running a SS was much less of a disadvantage, in fact some people ran better on SS than geared. From my limited experience the climbs tend to be short and steep so as long as you can muscle up them or run up them you will be fine

Discs have been allowed in all the races except the UCI races. Recently, however, that ban has been lifted and are now legal in the UCI races.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

2011 Cannondale Super X with TEAM BEER eccentric BB. Sram Red, mavic kysriums, Tufo Cubus tires.

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    Giant image of a SS disc crux with hydraulic brakes and a flat bar:

http://i48.tinypic.com/10cnkg2.jpg

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT View Post
    How does the surly chain tensioner funtion ?? I'm thinking of turning my multi speed cx into a single speed...thx
    Never saw your post. The singular works great. best tensioner I have ever used!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Teen Wolf

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

mtbr member
    What model/make is that orange bike?
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost View Post
    What model/make is that orange bike?
    That is a Raleigh Furly. if you look a little down the cyclocross page he did a nice write with pics. After reading it i ordered one, should be here mid week. here is a link to raleigh
    Raleigh Bicycles Furley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    That is a Raleigh Furly. if you look a little down the cyclocross page he did a nice write with pics. After reading it i ordered one, should be here mid week. here is a link to raleigh
    Raleigh Bicycles Furley
    Wow, what a cool bike in black. Looks like a sensible year round training/gravel path bike especially with discs. From where did you order yours from if you don`t mind me asking? Currently I have a Miyata Triplecross which don`t really cut it anymore for a number of reasons.
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost View Post
    Wow, what a cool bike in black. Looks like a sensible year round training/gravel path bike especially with discs. From where did you order yours from if you don`t mind me asking? Currently I have a Miyata Triplecross which don`t really cut it anymore for a number of reasons.
    ya, i really like the black. i probably would have ordered that if it was an option when i ordered the orange one. i do like the orange though, and i didn't have an orange bike in the quiver so it fits nicely.

it is a nice training/gravel/commuter that's for sure. i ordered the orange one at a LBS that sells raleigh. not sure where the black one came from.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What is your three speed setup? I wouldn't mind two more gears myself, for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    My Crosscheck:

But it's actually a three speed. Tringlespeed? No derailers, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Another NB Zona

Finally finished my Nature Boy about a month ago and I absolutely love it. The Brooks wasn't quite right for me on this bike, so I switched it to a Selle Italia something or other. A few changes to make at some point, but I'm enjoying it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-278448_515425151816550_1673527535_o.jpg  

Post your SSCX!-293108_518464198179312_1119557223_n.jpeg  

Post your SSCX!-296028_518464218179310_1257286700_n.jpeg  

Post your SSCX!-533232_518464238179308_2085729128_n.jpeg  

Bicycle Addict
    Here's mine ready for the gravel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-imag0343.jpg  

Post your SSCX!-imag0344.jpg  

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

El Pollo Diablo
    Supposedly going to race cross this season.
    Here's my weapon of choice
    (also a sweet rig for getting around town)
    My apologies for the cell quality picture, the lighting didn't help much either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-traitor.jpg  

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Finally finished my Nature Boy about a month ago and I absolutely love it. The Brooks wasn't quite right for me on this bike, so I switched it to a Selle Italia something or other. A few changes to make at some point, but I'm enjoying it.
    Paul Mini-Motos and hubs? Baller, my friend.
    I never got on well with the big ol' B17. I find the narrower Professional or Swift fits me better.
    However, I'm putting a cheap saddle on mine for 'cross season- just not willing to risk a Ti railled Swift!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Paul Mini-Motos and hubs? Baller, my friend.
    I never got on well with the big ol' B17. I find the narrower Professional or Swift fits me better.
    However, I'm putting a cheap saddle on mine for 'cross season- just not willing to risk a Ti railled Swift!

Los
    Heh, yep I got a pretty good deal on the hubs, but bought the MiniMoto's right after they came out, which was a bit painful at full price... however, I do like them and they fit the classy look of the frame nicely. It took me about six months to buy all the parts, it was well worth it though.

I've tried to use the B17 on several bikes and have been disappointed that it hasn't worked out. I bought the mens one on the advice from other ladies, after having horrible luck with their women's saddles, but it's still too wide (although better). The saddle I have on the nature boy now is a narrower women's one and is much more comfortable

The Brutally Handsome
    What gear ratio are you all running? I'm considering a SS build and not sure what to start with. I already have a 20t ENO freewheel off another bike I'm not using, suggestions for front? Thanks for any info!

hispanic mechanic
    Well, I'm using a 42x16 right now, but will probably put a 17 or 18t on for the season. I'm moving, so I want to get a feel for the courses before I decide.
    42x18 is kind of classic CX gearing. To get an equivalent gear, you'll need a 46t ring. However, look at what the 1 speed guys in your local races are running. If the courses where you are are really fast, with little sand, mud, or climbs, you might want to gear up. Conversely, if they're technical courses, you might go down a bit.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

carlo russo
    Sep 2010
    chi ti hi fly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your SSCX!-img_1815.jpg  

Post your SSCX!-img_1816.jpg  

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts

My Crosscheck, 39x18 right now. Thinking about bumping to a 42 up front...planning on using it at the weekly cx race series coming up soon.

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

mtbr member
    Updated
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mine

Mine, my new wheels aren't here yet so my old ones will have to do

carlo russo
    Sep 2010
    sweet

mtbr member
    My offering. I built the frame in my buddy's shop, and pieced it together with **** I had laying around, hence the bastard title. It's a blast to ride. Super fast and smooth as a prom queen's thighs. Experimenting with the flat bars right now. Really liking it.

Registered pedalphile.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast